Hey guys im thinking of getting one of these, or getting a 1x12 version for home use. I have my 4x12 cab and in the area I live in it's just not practical to be using it, though I can gig with it. If It's good enough to replace my DSL I'll buy this just as a head.

What do people think of these amps? I've not heard them apart from youtube, but they sound good to me. I play a lot of hard rock/heavy metal and some light blues occasionally.

I didn't know much about Blackstar but they seem really good, I just wanna get peoples opinions on them any cons/pro's I should definately know about.

I'd probably wanna throw some pedals infront of it, a TC Electronic Rotweiler for when I want some heavy stuff so how do they handle pedals?

Just any advice on this amp, is it a good buy? I think they're around £600-700

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-amps/ht-60h.html
If you can go and try one out. You won't be disappointed. I own the HT-40 and have no regrets. Blackstar has come to the front in amps in a fast way and I read in another guitar magazine they have been voted as #1 amp this year. The 60 will make you think you have a 100. It has some of the best cleans I have heard on amps and a good riff type distortion. Putting pedals in front of it to get a hard metal tone will work great.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
If you can go and try one out. You won't be disappointed. I own the HT-40 and have no regrets. Blackstar has come to the front in amps in a fast way and I read in another guitar magazine they have been voted as #1 amp this year. The 60 will make you think you have a 100. It has some of the best cleans I have heard on amps and a good riff type distortion. Putting pedals in front of it to get a hard metal tone will work great.

Cheers, definately gonna try one out!
Quote by Lespauljames
I own one, Great amp. Switch out the TAD valves instantly. they are unreliable. once you get some JJ's in there it will SING.

Experience- own one. stock valves are crap. Great sounds.

How are they for rather heavy metal?
what sort of sound?
I can get some really heavy sounds, but then again i like heavy with the gain rolled off a little. for a bit more clarity. I never have my gain past Half. and for that I can get great Megadeth, metallica, sounds. a boost in front like a bad monkey, Tubescreamer e.t.c really tightens the bottom end up.
a great think i have noticed is you can get it sounding pretty decent at bedroom levels with some time spent dialling it in.
Well now and again I like to change it up a bit and get quite heavy, play along to some Parkway Drive, Motionless in White, that kind of metal/screamo type shit
The only Blackstar worth owning is an Artisan.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only Blackstar worth owning is an Artisan.

+1.

Or the Series 1 200.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
shenanigans
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i didn't even much like the artisan i tried But at least no shenanigans
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hhhmmm, funny I have never heard anyone say any of the Blackstars are crappy until some on here said it. Wonder if these people have tried one? I have and everyone i played sounded great. True your not going to get a HT model to sound as good as a Series One or Artisan but your comparing apples to oranges. You think a $600 amp is going to sound like a $4000 amp. Show me one that does, any brand. As I said in the earlier post, go try one, your the one going to play it. If it sucks then don't get it. My bet is you will walk out of the store with it.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
$600 will buy you one hell of a good used amp, you don't have to settle for a Hybrid Trash.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
$600 will buy you one hell of a good used amp, you don't have to settle for a Hybrid Trash.

I won't agree that the HT series is trash, but I will agree that you can do better on the used market for sure. I've played the entire (literally, all of them) HT series amps, and the 40 and 60 were my favorites. They'll easily do the heavy modern tones you want, especially with an OD.

But like I said, they're good amps but there's nothing inspiring about them, and you can do better if you put that money towards something used.
Quote by Cathbard

PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Ah somebody else that doesn't know why people smell a wine cork and is displaying his ignorance for the world to see. Peasant.

My point is valid, for $600 you can buy a much better amp on the used market.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AJScott
Hey guys im thinking of getting one of these, or getting a 1x12 version for home use. I have my 4x12 cab and in the area I live in it's just not practical to be using it, though I can gig with it. If It's good enough to replace my DSL I'll buy this just as a head.

You live in the UK. What's wrong with your DSL? You can't find a used Marshall or Orange or Laney that will suit?

I thought HT = solid state phase inverter?

(that's what Min told me)
I don't know why you don't just buy a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. You already own a better amp and all you need is something easier to transport? Just get a smaller cab to lug around. Problem solved.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yes you could POSSIBLY buy a much better amp on the used market. What happens if they quit working 2 hours after you buy them? Not everyone can repair these things themself. If something goes wrong with a new one (not just Blackstar but anything new) at least they have a warranty to fall back on. I would hate to know I just paid $600 on an amp and it last about 2 hours before something goes wrong. Then you have to spend another $200-400 to repair it depending on whats wrong
We are getting far from the original post that AJ asked.
He only asked for the Pro's and Con's of this amp. Not if there was a better one or a worse one. The suggestions were to go out and try them to see if that is what he wants and likes. Both of the negative post I have seen NEVER mentioned anything about the CONS. If they are bad, then WHY are they bad? Tell us your experience with them or the one you had.
** Done ranting. Just don't understand how someone tells someone else that its trash or no good and they suck and etc, but never tell you why.
Yes, I expect a rebuttal but Im done so rebutt all you want I'm moving on to the next post

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I played the HT1 and thought it was kinda crappy.

Others have played the HT series and thought it was kinda crappy.

Others have played the HT series and thought it was grand.

There have been some noted quality issues documented on the interwebz.

It was my understanding they had a solid state phase inverter and a bunch of other SS parts. If you're cool with that then great.

This is a forum. Those are my opinions/ .02 cents.

I've got some pics of the gut shots too.
I've been playing for 30 years and the only new amps I've ever owned I've built myself. Damn you're a timid little beasty aint you? If a used amp is working well then anything that would have needed repairing under warranty would already have failed. Don't be a pussy.

The HT series are hybrids and they sound like it. The TS already has a DSL. All he needs is a smaller cab to go with it. To buy an inferior amp just because his 4x12 is too big to lug around is lunacy. Get a smaller cab and keep the 4x12 for gigs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JohnnyNash
Yes you could POSSIBLY buy a much better amp on the used market. What happens if they quit working 2 hours after you buy them? Not everyone can repair these things themself. If something goes wrong with a new one (not just Blackstar but anything new) at least they have a warranty to fall back on. I would hate to know I just paid $600 on an amp and it last about 2 hours before something goes wrong. Then you have to spend another $200-400 to repair it depending on whats wrong
We are getting far from the original post that AJ asked.
He only asked for the Pro's and Con's of this amp. Not if there was a better one or a worse one. The suggestions were to go out and try them to see if that is what he wants and likes. Both of the negative post I have seen NEVER mentioned anything about the CONS. If they are bad, then WHY are they bad? Tell us your experience with them or the one you had.
** Done ranting. Just don't understand how someone tells someone else that its trash or no good and they suck and etc, but never tell you why.
Yes, I expect a rebuttal but Im done so rebutt all you want I'm moving on to the next post

Obviously it's a terrible amp because it's 'Hybrid Trash' and doesn't warrant serious consideration...

Now, with that out of the way, some of the cons I found are the stock tubes are 'meh'...they should be changed. Based on my finding from the HT40 which isn't far off from the 60, you'll need higher volumes to really bring the gain channel to life. This isn't ideal if you share a living space with others - I run an HT-DistX as a workaround and it sounds amazing for a high gain pedal. The different voicings on both channels I think are extremely versatile but can sometimes get really boomy on the bottom end. Overall, the construction is very good and is very capable of a multitude of genre's of music.
PRS SE One
---
Blackstar HT-5
they sound really bad.

but that's never enough either for you guys is it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The HT series is a poor man's JCM900 and JCM900's are the crappiest "flagship" model Marshall have ever made. You do the math.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JohnnyNash
hhhmmm, funny I have never heard anyone say any of the Blackstars are crappy until some on here said it. Wonder if these people have tried one? I have and everyone i played sounded great. True your not going to get a HT model to sound as good as a Series One or Artisan but your comparing apples to oranges. You think a $600 amp is going to sound like a $4000 amp. Show me one that does, any brand. As I said in the earlier post, go try one, your the one going to play it. If it sucks then don't get it. My bet is you will walk out of the store with it.

i haven't tried the ht series, but i have tried teh artisan and i didn't much like it.

regardless, my complaint about the ht series is the dodgy advertising.

plus i mean in europe you can get a traynor ycv50b for a similar price to the ht series.

Quote by Cathbard
Ah somebody else that doesn't know why people smell a wine cork and is displaying his ignorance for the world to see. Peasant.

My point is valid, for $600 you can buy a much better amp on the used market.

+1

do all you guys who think corksniffer is an insult actually drink corked wine?

Quote by Cathbard
I don't know why you don't just buy a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. You already own a better amp and all you need is something easier to transport? Just get a smaller cab to lug around. Problem solved.

+1

Quote by JohnnyNash
Yes you could POSSIBLY buy a much better amp on the used market.

you can get better amps new for a similar price
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

do all you guys who think corksniffer is an insult actually drink corked wine?

Bloody rednecks. The closest thing they get to wine probably comes out of a box.
Probably don't even know what you mean by "corked wine." Dumbass peasants.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Bloody rednecks. The closest thing they get to wine probably comes out of a box.
Probably don't even know what you mean by "corked wine." Dumbass peasants.

It's a meme predicated on the proposition that one can fully determine the quality of a wine without tasting it, simply by sniffing the cork...not that any clarification should need to be stated...or perhaps it does.

You can mock my post all you like, it doesn't make it any more ignorant than your generalization of Blackstar HT's being 'hybrid trash'.

Hate and name-call away, this redneck is going go enjoy some boxed wine.
PRS SE One
---
Blackstar HT-5
but no-one with any wit would be trying to determine the quality of the wine from sniffing the cork, just whether or not it's corked.

or maybe that's what the entire joke is based on (people trying to determine too much from too little information), in which case, fair enough.

I still say it's dodgy marketing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I played a HT60 today.

Sounded pretty good....

.... for a hybrid.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by 3volved
It's a meme predicated on the proposition that one can fully determine the quality of a wine without tasting it, simply by sniffing the cork...not that any clarification should need to be stated...or perhaps it does.

You can mock my post all you like, it doesn't make it any more ignorant than your generalization of Blackstar HT's being 'hybrid trash'.

Hate and name-call away, this redneck is going go enjoy some boxed wine.

And the fact that you buy into the meme just shows your sheeplike ignorance. That isn't why you sniff a cork. It's only ignorant fools that think that is why you do it. The fact that it became a meme in the first place just shows how widespread you ignorant sheep really are.

You really are a dumbass aren't you? Hybrid Trash is a play on the model number - HT. It was a joke, moron. Or are you also illiterate enough not to notice that I capitalised and even bolded those two letters in the sentence?

Quote by Dave_Mc
but no-one with any wit would be trying to determine the quality of the wine from sniffing the cork, just whether or not it's corked.

or maybe that's what the entire joke is based on (people trying to determine too much from too little information), in which case, fair enough.

I still say it's dodgy marketing.

You're giving them too much credit. The meme started because some dumbass thought that was why people do it. The joke is therefore on the dumbasses that use the meme not those sniffing the cork. The guy sniffing the cork knows what he's doing, it's those observing the deed and misinterpreting why that are displaying stupidity, not the guy with the cork. NOBODY ever sniffs a cork to determine quality other than the health of the cork itself and if it would have poisoned the wine. Those that think he is are ignorant morons who think they know more than those that actually do.
It's hilarious, the joke is really on the users of the meme itself. Dumbass ignorant peasants laughing at their betters and showing themselves up for the ignorant peasants that they really are.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard

You're giving them too much credit. The meme started because some dumbass thought that was why people do it. The joke is therefore on the dumbasses that use the meme not those sniffing the cork. The guy sniffing the cork knows what he's doing, it's those observing the deed and misinterpreting why that are displaying stupidity, not the guy with the cork. NOBODY ever sniffs a cork to determine quality other than the health of the cork itself and if it would have poisoned the wine. Those that think he is are ignorant morons who think they know more than those that actually do.
It's hilarious, the joke is really on the users of the meme itself. Dumbass ignorant peasants laughing at their betters and showing themselves up for the ignorant peasants that they really are.

yeah possibly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've never seen Cath this angry with someone on here...

And if you're smart, TS, listen to these guys. They know what they're talking about.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Try it and decide yourself.

IMO an amp could be powered by tubes, transistors, alien technology, a steam-engine or hamster wheel if it sounds good to me.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Try it and decide yourself.

IMO an amp could be powered by tubes, transistors, alien technology, a steam-engine or hamster wheel if it sounds good to me.

everything after tubes IS alien technology.

i bet a steam whistle could bring the br00tz.

TS - 6505
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 20, 2011,