So, the other guitarist in my band has a Mesa Rectoverb that he used at a gig last night. He noticed when we went to soundcheck that he had forgot to plug in to his cab, and we thought the gig was done because his OT had blown. However, by some godsend, it still worked. Does anyone know how we got this lucky? Do Mesa's have some kind of built-in protection from this? Is there any way a company could MAKE built-in protection from blowing an OT? Does having your amp on but in standby prevent this? I'm just kinda blown away that his amp wasn't completely ****ed, and would like to know if there's an explanation why, or if Odin's favor was upon us.
To be honest, people have started making a huge deal about the OT, but in quality amps like Boogies they're pretty over-engineereed anyway. They won't just blow up the second you turn it on without a cab, unless it's a cheap crappy amp or has a faulty transformer in the first place.
^ +1 Kyle

They are over-engineered. But take a look at this thread TS that trashedlostfdup made yesterday. I think you'll find it interesting.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504457

PS: you can turn on a head without a load but passing a signal through it without a load is where it gets dangerous. I'm assuming your other guitarist didn't hear any sound and immediately went and check the speaker cab?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

PS: you can turn on a head without a load but passing a signal through it without a load is where it gets dangerous. I'm assuming your other guitarist didn't hear any sound and immediately went and check the speaker cab?

Yeah. As soon as he heard no sound we freaked and turned his whole rig off and hooked up the cable. He just runs his guitar straight into his amp, so there was no boosting going on. Plus, he has the stock pups in his Epiphone SG Special, which I'm guessing are fairly low-output if that makes a difference.
Nah. Mesa amps are built like rocks. I remember reading one UGer posting how his Mesa F series was on the wrong impedance (overloading it) for months on end and he only just realized four months into playing it, and he corrected it and it still works fine to this day.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Of course, just because Mesas are built like rocks doesn't mean you should tempt fate.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??