Page 1 of 5
People of UG, something horrible is going on in the USA right now. The SOPA bill (SOPA stands for "Stop Online Piracy Act) may very well pass this wednesday, driven through by politicians who basically take bribes (In nicer words, it's called lobbying) from corporations who want the bill to pass. We shouldn't let this happen, no matter the nationality. Even I, a Swede, can't accept the huge consequences this will have all over the internet AS WELL AS THE WORLD if this passes, so I am doing what I can to take a stand against it. The bill will essentially censor the web, as well as give corporations power to take down content without much of a warning. This can be used in highly anticompetitive ways, as well as censoring things they don't want people to see. And if that wasn't enough, this is already happening to an extent.

The bill is mostly driven forward by absolutely clueless politicians (See this. for an example), who probably do not know of the consequences if this passes. A lot of experts also warn about this bill, but most congressmen seem unlikely to listen.

I will keep this post brief, and instead link to sites that can explain this better than I can. For example, TotalBiscuit explains some of it in this video..

More, even more important links:
http://www.keepthewebopen.com/sopa
http://americancensorship.org/
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111122/04254316872/definitive-post-why-sopa-protect-ip-are-bad-bad-ideas.shtml
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-j-black/stop-online-piracy-act-vote_b_1145949.html

Also, here's a list of companies who supports SOPA. I advise you to boycott them, just like the link says (I for one will never buy a Fender or a Gibson because of this); https://boycottcensors.wordpress.com/

If I have gotten something wrong, or if posts of this kind isn't allowed for some reason, let me know.
I for welcome our new SOPA overlords.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Piracy is what's kicking the money-grubbing songwriters out of the music industry, SOPA is what will save the music industry, but in turn ruining the music.
you're a stone fox
So you think it's OK to illegally download copyrighted music?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Saint78
Piracy is what's kicking the money-grubbing songwriters out of the music industry, SOPA is what will save the music industry, but in turn ruining the music.

It will make it much harder to spread your own music on the internet, among other things. The publishers will try to take as much control as possible. So yes, it will ruin the music.
Quote by GaryBillington

Absolutely not, but this bill affects so much more than just pirates. In really really bad ways, too.

EDIT: Damn, sorry for double post.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by GaryBillington

Only if it's bands that have had successful careers or the artist is dead, it's bad when it's smaller bands. I wouldn't illegally download a Woods of Ypres album because they aren't well known and are probably struggling financially.
you're a stone fox
Quote by PFC_91
Absolutely not, but this bill affects so much more than just pirates. In really really bad ways, too.

Explain.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
here, in argentina, buying music is extremely expensive, i don't have more than 5 cd's
While illegally pirating music is wrong, this bill isn't the answer. Because they would ban any site with any link to possibly copyrighted content, it would potentially shut down sites like youtube, facebook, twitter, and even UG. SOPA wouldn't help anyone.
Quote by Stryker125
While illegally pirating music is wrong, this bill isn't the answer. Because they would ban any site with any link to possibly copyrighted content, it would potentially shut down sites like youtube, facebook, twitter, and even UG. SOPA wouldn't help anyone.

Exactly. In the hurry to write the opening post, I completely forgot to mention this. Even UG is in danger because of the bill. The site would be censored from Americans without any prior warning, just because a record executive doesn't like the site.

Quote by FireHawk
Seeing as its going to pass Wensday it's probably too late now...

It's never too late. Call your congressman and make your voice heard.
Quote by ShevanelFlip
this is just f*Ed up.

Which is why you should boycott anyone who supports the bill.
Quote by PFC_91
Which is why you should boycott anyone who supports the bill.

don't be so preachy please, this isn't some revelation you just made.

not much we can do sadly.
Quote by GaryBillington

I think it's fair enough to redistribute some of the wealth. Artists and record companies are overpaid.
Otherwise :

On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by ShevanelFlip
don't be so preachy please, this isn't some revelation you just made.

not much we can do sadly.

This is the reason why democracy does not work. Because everyone always goes "Oh well" or "It's too late anyway". Don't be one of those. I don't give a **** if I'm preachy or not. We should be the ones the corporations fear, not the other way around.
May the last IP lawyer be hung with the guts of the last cop
- Robert Paul Wolff.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

TotalBiscuit's video is very good, probably helps that he has a law degree...
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
Quote by Nameless742
I think it's fair enough to redistribute some of the wealth. Artists and record companies are overpaid.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Saint78
Only if it's bands that have had successful careers or the artist is dead, it's bad when it's smaller bands. I wouldn't illegally download a Woods of Ypres album because they aren't well known and are probably struggling financially.

I see. It's OK to steal from the rich, but not from the poor?

Laws are laws. If you break them, it doesn't matter who the victim was, they're still a victim.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by PFC_91
This is the reason why democracy does not work. Because everyone always goes "Oh well" or "It's too late anyway". Don't be one of those. I don't give a **** if I'm preachy or not. We should be the ones the corporations fear, not the other way around.

No, the reason democracy doesn't work is because any of the three branches of government can overturn popular vote with a majority ruling, and that they've consistently re-arranged the districts in order to allot voters by partisan in such a way that it results in favorable outcomes.

That is the reason people know that their vote doesn't count for squat in this country on a large scale.

And that aside, trying to start a revolution in America is a pointless, fruitless endeavor. People are way too happy with all the stimulation and junk being stuffed down their gullet to think they could live without it and stand up to fight. You'd have better luck trying to rally lemmings ten feet away from the drop off.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by institutions
Yes.

You wouldn't be saying that if it was your music that was being stolen.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

It's a quick way to take in what SOPA might do, as well as a warning against it. For more reliable information there are other places to check.
Congress' To-Do List:

- Blacklist half the internet
- Pass bill that increases government spending and more importantly their paychecks
- Stick hand into every other country's governing system
- listen to the people they govern (LOL JK)
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Saint78

Piracy is great for bands and they benefit from it, its a form of promotion and gets people hyped about the album, just the way a single on the radio would. Most f not all albums are leaked on purpose for this reason. Do you anti-piracy people actually think preventing people from hearing an album completely will make more people buy it? Here's a quote from Radiohead's wiki page about their Kid A album.

The band made a brief tour of Mediterranean countries in early summer 2000, playing their new songs live for the first time.[32] By the time the album's title was announced in mid-2000, concert bootlegs were being shared on the peer-to-peer service Napster. Colin Greenwood said, "We played in Barcelona and the next day the entire performance was up on Napster. Three weeks later when we got to play in Israel the audience knew the words to all the new songs and it was wonderful." A month before its release, the finished album appeared on Napster. In response, Yorke said "it encourages enthusiasm for music in a way that the music industry has long forgotten to do."

Also I know Dave from Woods, he's doing fine.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
This is genuinely terrifying. If I'm completely honest, I'm still a little ignorant to the entire situation, but is there any real chance of this bill getting through?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Inb4 huge argument over morals of illegal DLing, rather than sticking to the threads topic.

I'm against it. It will cause more harm than good, and would make most mainstream websites "illegal" if a single post involved copyrighted material. For example, my avatar is the MSN fox, so I could be SUED BY MSN!!!!!

In theory, anyway. Whether the government would do what protestors are saying could be done isn't a confirmed thing, but it'll stop free speech, and make the internet pretty shitty. I can see the point they're trying to make, but it's a terrible way of stopping filesharing, and it wouldn't work because you could still work on IP addresses even if it happened. And even if it stopped the sharers, they'd just find another way around it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington

Yes he would, and so would I and thousands of others. Fuck artitificial scarcity. Fuck intellectual monopoly. Fuck inhumane copyright laws. You been drinking the RIAA's kool-aid?
Quote by GaryBillington

If I ever did write and record my own music, i'd release it for free.
I wouldn't care if people stole it. You can't steal what is free.
If we did all boycott these companies, think of all the brands we'd be giving up

Gibson, Epiphone, Kramer, Slingerland, Steinberger, Baldwin, Fender, Jackson, Charvel, Squier, Hamer, Ovation, Sunn, Gretsch, Takamine, Martin, D'addario, Shure, PING, and a lot more

All those companies are either on that list or owned by a company that is. That's a lot of companies to have to avoid man! But if it means saving the internet...
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan

I watched that this morning. What a lovely man.

Does he really have a law degree?

^ I didn't see Schecter so sa'll good.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I for welcome our new SOPA overlords.

I wanted to post this!
Also:

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo