I'm about to get a effect stuff, my budget is about 250$.I'm wondering what should I buy, 'cause I'm just a beginner, I'm sure with my money I could get 1 multi effect or 3,4 single effect.May you guys tell me which ones I must buy at the beginning ? and btw, I saw a lot of people using the Beats by Dr.Dre for recording, is it good to record Rock music ?, thanks.
Personally, I think single effects with trump the multi-effects boards every time, and especially on a budget under $700-800. Some suggestions for you- look for used stuff, either on Craigslist, Guitarcenter's website (you can have them ship used gear to your store, if it's somewhere else- just ask someone at your local store), and then any other music stores locally.

A Dunlop Crybaby Wah is a pretty standard, useful effect- they run about $40 used.

What kind of music are you playing? It's easier to recommend other effects based on that.
The Boss DS-1 is a pretty solid distortion pedal for a starting guitarist. The Dunlop Crybaby is a good call too.
The DS-1 is certainly solid - shame it sounds like crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Depends what you're after. If you want the absolute best quality of one effect, then go with a single pedal.

If you aren't sure what you want, or just want to experiment with as many different sounds as possible, then go with a multi effects unit. If you have an extremely specific tone you're after they're never going to be as good for any single effect as a good quality single pedal, but for the average guy who just wants something to play with they're more than good enough and the chances are you'll need more than one pedal to replicate whatever sound you want anyway.

I also go with a multi effects unit because I hardly ever need them, but when I do I like to have the choice of many different options rather than being stuck with the same old sound every time.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I want to play Rock like Sixx: A.M., Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Papa Roach, Buckcherry.
As you are new i would suggest getting a multi fx pedal.

This way you can see what each effect does and how it will effect your sound. this way once you know EXACTLY what you are after you can go out and buy the pedal in single form once you can afford it.

If you can afford it then try get a 2nd pod of some kind, they have some good effects on it and nice sounding distortions too.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by Cathbard
The DS-1 is certainly solid - shame it sounds like crap.

This man speaks the truth.

If you want to play hard-rock type stuff like that, buy yourself a decent distortion pedal and you're set, really. Or, even better, save up a bit, get a decent amp, and use its distortion.
periphery and animals as leaders recorded their debuts primarily on a pod x3 take that for what it's worth

dre beats are commercial headphones, and overpriced ones at that. the bass response will overshadow the mix when recording and no matter what type of music, you should be using appropriately labeled studio headphones
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quality vs quantity. Which do you want more? With mfx units, the quality of the effects are good. With single effects, the quality is better. But, if you go the mfx route, you don't have to worry about power supplies, cables, etc. So it's really up to you.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
For under $250 you really can't beat the zoom g3 in terms of the quality and amount of fx you get for the price IMO. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/zoom-g3-guitar-multi-effects-pedal-and-looper
I have a Boss ME-50 and it does a great job for me.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by thchuong3794
how about line 6 or VOX ?

Not as good as the zoom g3 IMO.
Quote by kutless999
Not as good as the zoom g3 IMO.

And IMO neither are as good as the Boss
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you're not sure, take the advice on the multi. I always liked the ME-50 too, but I shied away from multi before I got one.

...BUT...

In my personal experience, I had a digitech RP200 (NOT the best one out there). Got it for cheap and it lasted me a while. After I had upped my skills a bit and really wanted to work on my tone, I was pissed that I had not just started with stompboxes in the first place. It did kinda teach me that as far as FX go, drive and delay/reverb are probably the most used.

Everything after assumes you already have a tuner. If not, you can get a headstock/clipon tuner for cheap. I've got a TC Electronic Polytune for live stuff and LOVE it!

If you choose to go this route, start with a solid overdrive. I have a Boss SD1 and its been good. I'm gonna send it off to Keeley and see if I can get it modded over to true bypass. If I'm not mistaken the lack of true bypass is most of the reason why people don't like Boss FX. Yeah true some of them also just don't sound very good. If it turns out you don't like the drive on it, it doubles well as a cleaner boost. If you go Boss, check into the Blues Driver as well. The Ibanez TS9 is good. The TS808 is better but $$.

Boss delay pedals are good to start with but I always thought they were a bit sterile sounding. Have they gotten better? Good for metal if you going that route I'd think (they're digital so they don't muddy up like analogue at high gain). I've got an MXR carbon copy for my analogue delay and a TC Electronics Flashback for versatility. Both are great and very musical without breaking the bank. If you find them used, they're both good buys.

I like the Wah pedal suggestion. They can be had for not a whole lot used and the basic Dulop isn't terribly expensive new if you have to. I'd stay away from the Bad Horsie (brand? I forget). I never liked that it was spring loaded, and I don't remember it having a switch to turn it off with.

Proguitarshop.com is a great source of VERY reliable reviews on certain pedals as well as other info concerning gear. Andy does an awesome job at what he does!
Quote by GaryBillington
And IMO neither are as good as the Boss

The boss does have nice effects but horrible distortion IMO.
The Zoom G3 is the only multifx with synced drums to a 40 sec looper. It has very good amp models and FX. It's designed to be three stomps in a box, so it's a bit different than standard multifx. You can build a pedal board of separate pedals with it. You can add the $30 EX-P if you want an expression pedal. Several songs in my link where done with the G3 and it's looper.
Ts, fly is right. The looper synced to the drums make it worth the $200 plus you get tons of amps and effects.
hows the line 6 floor pod? im thinking of getting a multi fx soon
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Looking to play that kinda rock, I'd say an MXR distortion is a solid bet. Very "marshall-y" distortion, and used they run about $45- that's almost the same as a new DS-1. Look at the Distortion III and the Custom '78 Badass.

Also, a good delay pedal is fairly useful- the Ibanez analogue delay is my favorite, if you can handle the pink (i dig it). Those retail at $150, so I'm guessing you're looking at $75 used, although you could definitely find a better deal if you look. The MXR Carbon Copy is solid, too. And Boss delays are as fantastic a digital delay as I could ask for, but for the price I think the analogue is the way to go.

A boost is pretty necessary for a lead guitarist, and even a rhythm player may find one useful. The Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 is my personal favorite, and it sells for $40 new. It's a fairly transparent clean boost, and if you put it after your distortion, you get a solid volume boost on your drive tone, and little to no tonal changes (unless you're running a tube amp, in which case you'll push the tubes a little harder)

Chorus is good for clean tones, and I use it for distorted leads to make them pop. The Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus is actually fantastic on guitar, but either of their guitar choruses works well, or an MXR, a Digitech, or the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. Look around used, you can probably find $50 or less for any one of these.

Phaser isn't necessary for what you're doing, but I'd say it's worth looking into. The Electro-Harmonix Small Stone is my personal favorite, I got a 1978 model (the first edition, I do believe) for $40 at Guitar Center- so these are fairly easy to find used, and not to pricey. The MXR Phase 90 is a classic, too- Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar" is a good example of this on a clean strat. Zakk Wylde uses one too, although I can't think of a specific song.

Volume pedals are good if you want to either do volume swells or have some volume control on stage. I'd put it at the end of the chain (before reverb or delay), and don't settle for a cheapo pedal. Ernie Ball makes the best one (in my opinion). These are reasonable used. Don't go for the cheaper Morley one- most Guitar Centers have these in their used racks, FOR GOOD REASON. It sucks. The taper is terribly unbalanced and it's not nearly smooth enough.

A little long, but I hope that helped. Don't be afraid to explore new effects and tones, and try new things! Borrow pedals from friends, demo things at the music store, and if the price is right and you're curious, go for it! You never know what you'll find.

One last thing: old used gear is the way to go. It's cheaper, and if it's lasted this long, it's probably solid.
This has one of the best description of how time/mod based effects work I've ever read. Just jump to Section 4.
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/19510d5a385b3780e57d6eda1f86b1ad/file/quadraverb_reference_manual___v1.0.pdf
Definitely worth a read.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like the upper half of the Digitech RP line. I have an RP500, and it is great for gigging. It also has some great sounding amp models (my faves are the Soldano and JCM2000) and all sorts of effects so you can experiment with what fx you like before blowing your dough on a single pedal you may/may not be happy with later.

I run mine directly into the mixer, or into an amp on a clean channel, or even both depending on our band's sound setup.

It also sounds good going into an amp as an fx pedalboard.

It's the best bang for the buck IMO. And unless you are some absolute professional level tone junkie, you probably won't miss much between the "good" on a multi fx unit, and the "better" on the single pedal. But of course, not all mfx units are created equal.
Depending on which amp you're currently running, $250 could get you a very decent distortion/overdrive pedal and maybe a wahwah. Pretty much all you need but if you are not sure what type of sound you're looking for, then get a multi-effect pedal, the BOSS ME-50 is a decent one.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Quote by kutless999
The boss does have nice effects but horrible distortion IMO.

Being a bit more serious, I probably agree - wouldn't say they're horrible, but I don't think I'd use them. I actually only ever use the distortion from my amp, the ME-50 is only ever used when I want to use something else like chorus or delay.

The best thing about the ME-50 is that it's designed to act as 3 separate stomp boxes, one for distortion/overdrive, one for modulation effects such as chorus or harmonising and one for delays, plus a separate expression pedal. Most other units focus primarily on patches.

The ME-50 can do patches (and has some presets included), but I believe there's a bit of lag when changing between them, so if you want to work that way it's not the best option. It's great if you just want a good range of individually controllable effects though.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Buy the appropriatley priced line 6 M series. 9 or 13 (if you can find a used 13, get it)
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.