I read in my local paper today that "25% of Children Live In Poverty" in my hometown of Lincoln.

This got me thinking; what exactly constitutes poverty? Now, in many ways, our perception here in Ole Blighty is a considerably different from, arguably, the vast majority of the world. Even those living 'below the breadline', so to speak, have a television, a microwave, a heating, a bed etc. etc.

I realise some people are not that fortunate (the homeless come to mind), but 25%? That seemed a bit excessive to be honest. Compared to the rest of the world, we are bloody blessed.

Even us lot living in council housing have it better than most (90% of the world's population? Would be interested to see a figure relating to that if anyone has it handy), but it seems it's hard to appreciate what we have, especially when the family down the road has a bigger widescreen tele than us.

Anyway, thoughts Pit?
When your base income is not enough to sustain you/your family
Check out my band Disturbed
Even if a homeless man down the street has it better than some starving AIDS kid in Malawi, relative poverty is still an issue and shouldn't be waved off with, "Well they have it better than most."
Quote by due 07
Even if a homeless man down the street has it better than some starving AIDS kid in Malawi, relative poverty is still an issue and shouldn't be waved off with, "Well they have it better than most."
But what exactly constitutes poverty, especially in wealthy countries like England? That's what I can't exactly define.
Quote by fender_696
But what exactly constitutes poverty, especially in wealthy countries like England? That's what I can't exactly define.

Like, the legal definition? That's easy enough to find out.
Quote by due 07
Like, the legal definition? That's easy enough to find out.
Not necessarily. Was just interested in what people would define poverty themselves.
Homelessness=/=poverty. Saying homelessness and absolute destitution is the only way to be poverty stricken because 'even really dirt poor people have a bed and a place to sleep and a microwave' is like saying 'the only way to be sick is to have a terminal disease.'

pov·er·ty
   [pov-er-tee]
noun
the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor. Synonyms: privation, neediness, destitution, indigence, pauperism, penury. Antonyms: riches, wealth, plenty.

In its basest form, IMO, poverty is living paycheck to paycheck.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don't know what the non-legal definition of poverty is here, but it's probably something like if you don't have this

but seriously, I'd say someone is poor if they wouldn't be able to afford a basic necessity without their next paycheck
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Dec 17, 2011,
Poverty is defined by society that you can't sutain you and/or your family. That means not paying being able to pay all bills every month, have decent nutrition and whatnot without any luxury in your life (so no vacation, no tv, no pets, no car, etc etc). But even this is starting to be included in first world countries like members of the EU and America, because we consider these luxuries to be "basic". We "need" to be able to have at elast one car, at elast have one vacation in a year and all this other crap we don't really need.

What you say like people living in the street are nobodies and kicked out by society. To be harsh and honest, no one will care they died this night in the frost.

For myself, I consider poverty when you think in lines and never dare to cross them or fear to expand their mind and widen their vision on the world. A rich soul doesn't evolve from a poor mind.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Making an educated guess, I would say that poverty is a word used to describe the living situation of someone who struggles to or cannot support themselves and those they care for in ways which are accessible to those not in poverty.

Close enough? I don't know how to word it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Anyone without money to afford shelter and accomodation, heating, food and clothes.
Like, personally, I consider poverty to be whatever falls under the poverty threshold determined by the Census Bureau.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
In the US, a family of four making under $22,000 a year is considered poverty.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by due 07

+1, that's just some bullshit they feed the bourgeoisie to make the obscene income gaps in capitalist society seem like less of a big deal, amirite? imsorite.
(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

Thats poverty-Not $22k a year America, but $500 a year...THATS POVERTY

/thread
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.