Ok guys, I need some serious help. I have few songs and I want to record them soooo badly, but i'm stuck with no money. All I have is: Guitar, AMP, Cubase 5, Guitar Rig 5 & EZ Drummer. I don't know anything about recording. I plug my guitar into PC and record it via Cubase, but it sounds pretty shitty. Can you give me some tips for cubase plug-ins or recommend me some other program for recording? I don't need some serious sound, but like this it sounds worse then MIDI. Cheers!
Last edited by turtleboy at Dec 17, 2011,
You need an AI - audio interface - like an M-Audio FastTrack.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Believe it or not, sometimes the most simple programs are way better than rest of them. I found that line in from the AMP and Audacity are way better combination than any other I tried so far (including cubase), cos it doesn't change the sound. Just beware with the volume, it can (and will) ruin your sound. Find the optimal volume, that's not too loud and not too quiet. Forget about Guitar Rig. It's only good for playing, not for recording. I don't really know how my drummer records and I'm not really interested, so I can't help you with that one.
^Guitar Rig was made for recording and is definitely not just for playing.

Everytime I've used Audacity, it tends to degrade the signal a bit, and overall is just a horrible mixing program. If you're just recording voiceovers, ideas or covers you're not intending to mix, it's ok, but if you start out with Audacity and intend to move into a more professional suite, you're going to have an extremely hard time transitioning. Audacity is a program for those who have no intention to ever do more than simple operations, once you start to do more things, you find out how limiting it is, very quickly.

TS - What you need is an interface, as strat0blaster has said. How you've managed to get to a point of having ~$1000 in software with Cubase 5, Guitar Rig 5 and EZ Drummer without one is beyond me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 5t0rM
I found that line in from the AMP and Audacity are way better combination than any other I tried so far (including cubase), cos it doesn't change the sound.

Let me get this straight...

OP is plugging his unknown guitar directly into his PC via unknown means and getting a crappy sound.... and you're suggesting that his recording software is the problem??!! Seriously?

Once the sound hits the software, it's too late. If it sucks then, it's going to suck later. It's the old "crap in, crap out" maxim.

@Turtle:
-what kind of guitar are you using
-are you plugging it into your stock soundcard (ie. soundblaster, etc.), or into an interface of some sort?
-are you using an amp sim, or do you just *have* amp sims? If you are using them, which one, which settings, etc?
-"sounds worse than midi" - midi doesn't sound like anything. It is just instructions that another instrument can interpret and turn into sound. Give great instructions to a great instrument, and it will sound great. Give crappy instructions to a crappy instrument and it will sound crappy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm total noob, so sry for missunderstanding. I'm using Charvel Charvette 300R, i have fender 65R amp.
I plug guitar into the sound card. Don't even know what AMP simulator is & i'm downloading softwere for free, **** it i'm broke. I just need advice for simpliest and cheepest way to record a demo. Tnx (sry for bad english)
Last edited by turtleboy at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by turtleboy
i'm downloading softwere for free, **** it i'm broke.

I don't have the money for a big-screen TV because I have prioritized my spending on other things. (ie. recording gear, family, house, etc.) Therefore, I don't have one.

In any case, there is some good freeware out there.

Get a legit version of Reaper. It's free to try and the licence is only $60.

There are some decent freeware amp sims. Get some of those things and proceed. This is not a customer support line for cracked software.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I just want to clear up one thing (I have seen it posted many times).

DAW does not effect your sound, there has been multiple tests you can check online. If you run audio through Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, FL Studio, Audacity, etc. with the same settings there is no sound quality difference when exporting (yet again assume your are exporting with same settings).

Quote by 5t0rM
Believe it or not, sometimes the most simple programs are way better than rest of them. I found that line in from the AMP and Audacity are way better combination than any other I tried so far (including cubase), cos it doesn't change the sound. Just beware with the volume, it can (and will) ruin your sound. Find the optimal volume, that's not too loud and not too quiet. Forget about Guitar Rig. It's only good for playing, not for recording. I don't really know how my drummer records and I'm not really interested, so I can't help you with that one.

So many things wrong with this post...
Last edited by FireHawk at Dec 18, 2011,