http://www.musicmaster.com.my/our-products.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1200&category_id=161&manufacturer_id=19

I've been looking for a 2nd guitar for quite awhile now, and found this. I don't have much info of what model it is, apparently it was from Charvel Japan during 1984-1987. Bolt on guitar and Japanese basswood body. Can anyone identify what model is this and its specs? Seem very similar to the new Jackson RR5. Thanks.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I think it's probably a fake. As far as I know, Jackson never made a Rhoads guitar under the Charvel name and with the Charvel logo on the headstock. It could be something that someone cobbled together at some point.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I think it's probably a fake. As far as I know, Jackson never made a Rhoads guitar under the Charvel name and with the Charvel logo on the headstock. It could be something that someone cobbled together at some point.

Seriously? Because I've been googling for awhile and I still don't have any information regarding any RR made by Charvel. Shot Charvel an email, hopefully they'll get back to me ASAP. :S
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
there have been various charvel Rhoads guitars made in the past, just look at the charvel avenger that came out in 1990 (the guitar you showed isn't one, the headstock logo is from the wrong era)

there are 2 other possibilities though:
1) there were some charvel Rhoads made for oversees markets, particularly Japan, in the mid to late 80's. they are quite rare
2) the rhoads was designed by Grover Jackson, as well as two other dudes, one of which was from charvel. some early examples (this doesn't look like one) carried the charvel name as a result
could just be a frankenstein
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Whatever it is - or isn't - the Charvel logo on the headstock identifies it as an overseas-made neck. I think it is something someone put together from a Jackson bolt-neck Rhoads and a 1980s overseas Charvel neck. Good luck with your info search, and if Charvel identifies it as legit, by all means let us know exactly what it is.
Quote by krehzeekid
there have been various charvel Rhoads guitars made in the past, just look at the charvel avenger that came out in 1990 (the guitar you showed isn't one, the headstock logo is from the wrong era)

there are 2 other possibilities though:
1) there were some charvel Rhoads made for oversees markets, particularly Japan, in the mid to late 80's. they are quite rare
2) the rhoads was designed by Grover Jackson, as well as two other dudes, one of which was from charvel. some early examples (this doesn't look like one) carried the charvel name as a result

Yeah, the seller did tell me this guitar is quite rare. Hopefully Charvel will lemme know ASAP.

EDIT: BTW guys, can anyone comment on the higher fret access on RR guitars? I was told that V's like that don't have a problem with going fast on the joint, but through front pictures, the neck joint seems to be quite big.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Last edited by Broken-pick at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Broken-pick

EDIT: BTW guys, can anyone comment on the higher fret access on RR guitars? I was told that V's like that don't have a problem with going fast on the joint, but through front pictures, the neck joint seems to be quite big.

Upper fret access is not a problem on a V's or RRV's.
Sweet, I just got more information from the shop. Apparently this RR was specifically built for the Japanese, it has a smaller body for us Asians. That being said, the fretboard looks kinda wide. Right now I'm just contemplating if I should get this guitar or a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. I really like how the RR looks(I've been using strats and superstrats for quite awhile and I'm getting kinda bored of it) but the C-1 seems to be a better deal in terms of value and tone.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
^ Hmm, really? I'm still not sure. The body certainly looks off to me. Not just smaller than usual, but it looks a bit "crude" as well. I mean, look at that black pinstripe - it's awfully wavy in places. Surely if it was a factory job it would look straighter than that? Varying in thickness too.
You guys are paranoid. Who would bother to fake an obscure Japanese Charvel when they could fake guitars that people are actually looking for?
Quote by Broken-pick
Sweet, I just got more information from the shop. Apparently this RR was specifically built for the Japanese, it has a smaller body for us Asians. That being said, the fretboard looks kinda wide. Right now I'm just contemplating if I should get this guitar or a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. I really like how the RR looks(I've been using strats and superstrats for quite awhile and I'm getting kinda bored of it) but the C-1 seems to be a better deal in terms of value and tone.

If it is a rare or hard-to-find Charvel and you like it, I'd go for it. Charvels have a following, and you'd always be able to flip it at some point.
Quote by jpnyc
You guys are paranoid. Who would bother to fake an obscure Japanese Charvel when they could fake guitars that people are actually looking for?

Its not paranoid at all to think that, even squiers and cheap epiphones are faked. Anyways its confirmed to be the real deal now. Ive seen faked Gibson Balwins *you know the $100 guitars that sell at places like hastings under the Maestro name now* If people think they can make money from it anything can and will be faked.
Hmmm.... May go for a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser instead guys.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic