As many of you know, genres such as dubstep, pop and rap are becoming more and more popular. ive been thinking alot about how this effects rock. like will there even be a need for the guitar in 10 years?
You make a great point. Pop and hip hop have never before been more popular than rock til now, and electronic music is a new thing threatening everything else.
What happens in the mainstream, happens. No matter what, all genres like rock will still continue existing in the underground.
There will always be a need for guitar. Rock music will still exist and thrive, as will other genres where guitar is essential. Anyone who thinks that this wave of electronic music means the end of rock or guitar is dumb. It's just another genre, and just because a new genre is introduced doesn't mean that it replaces an already existing genre.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Why do people stress that rock isnt in the mainstream spotlight. Listen to what YOU want to listen to, not what everybody else is listening to. But to answer your question, I am 100% sure people will still be playing guitar in 10 years... unless theres a nuclear war or something
Quote by Iommianity
You make a great point. Pop and hip hop have never before been more popular than rock til now, and electronic music is a new thing threatening everything else.

Electronic music isn't threatening other music. It's popular, and that's fine, because some of it is quite good. Just like any genre that gets popular, some of it is really good, and some of it is really bad. But no type of music threatens another type, because music is not a popularity contest.

I don't know if you just chose your words poorly, or if you just hate electronic music on principle alone, but you should really give it a chance. It's not gonna hurt anyone.

Quote by chronic_stp
Why do people stress that rock isnt in the mainstream spotlight. Listen to what YOU want to listen to, not what everybody else is listening to. But to answer your question, I am 100% sure people will still be playing guitar in 10 years... unless theres a nuclear war or something

People get worried that rock music will die and no one will make it anymore. It is worrying, but not likely. That's all.
Last edited by TextOnTheScreen at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Electronic music isn't threatening other music. It's popular, and that's fine, because some of it is quite good. Just like any genre that gets popular, some of it is really good, and some of it is really bad. But no type of music threatens another type, because music is not a popularity contest.

I don't know if you just chose your words poorly, or if you just hate electronic music on principle alone, but you should really give it a chance. It's not gonna hurt anyone.\

You were on to something with 'I don't know', should have stopped there.
Stupid thread is stupid. There isn't a NEED for a guitar now, we just listen to guitar music because we like it. There has never been a need for any form of music. What's your prejudice against electronic music anyway, and who says it can't be incorporated into rock?
Quote by Iommianity
electronic music is a new thing threatening everything else.

Haven't you heard of the 80s?
Apparently there's no room for sarcasm. I'm glad that you guys are on the ball today.
Quote by chronic_stp

Keith Richards would survive.
Quote by Iommianity
Apparently there's no room for sarcasm. I'm glad that you guys are on the ball today.

Of course, when someone says something stupid on the internet we should assume it's sarcasm, shouldn't we? Don't be such an asshole.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Of course, when someone says something stupid on the internet we should assume it's sarcasm, shouldn't we? Don't be such an asshole.

I don't assume you're being sarcastic at all right now.
Last edited by Iommianity at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Iommianity

you realize that pop music is just mainstream music designed to make money right?

you know bands like miley cyrus, britney spears, KISS, MOTLEY ****ING CRUE, every other 80's rock band?

rock music has been pop music since the early 80's buddy
lol, you guys are champions of reading comprehension. Maybe next time, I won't lay it so thick in an effort to turn TC's ignorance around on him. No shit. No shit that hip hop isn't recently popular, no shit that pop has been the most relevant genre, branching to all others, and no shit that electronic music is not a recent invention. Perhaps you guys could turn your powers of deduction and reason towards other social causes?
Quote by Iommianity
no shit that pop has been the most relevant genre, branching to all others

pop music by definition IS the most popular genre. period.

you fail to understand that the term "pop" doesn't describe the genre of the music(or the music in an way, for that matter) itself.
What does that have to do with anything? I only mentioned pop in reference to TC's post, and I don't have a problem with it. Obviously, pop music can be anything. In the past, you could have soul, r&b, blues, rock, anything, on a pop station or charting as pop music. That's not the case now, and that's not what people refer to when they say 'pop'. Which I didn't, because I'm not arguing against it. Because I'm not actually in disagreement with you, and no matter how you try to convince yourself, you're not in disagreement with me. What do you think the TC was referring to when he said pop?

Gotta love the internet. Make one blatantly sarcastic post, summing up exactly why the TC's first post is illogical, and somehow his opinions are being projected onto me. How does this even work?
Last edited by Iommianity at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Iommianity

Gotta love the internet. Make one blatantly sarcastic post, summing up exactly why the TC's first post is illogical, and somehow his opinions are being projected onto me. How does this even work?

It wasn't even blatantly sarcastic, it was just stupid. Get over yourself.
with bands like

CTE

Band of skulls

and everything jack white has ever done and will do....

rock is going to do ok...those are just some examples....
I haz gotten gud
And there's still the Foo Fighters, and U2 is still rock, I guess. The Black Keys are doing really well. Yeah, rock is going to stick around for a long time.
Quote by Bassplaya687
As many of you know, genres such as dubstep, pop and rap are becoming more and more popular. ive been thinking alot about how this effects rock. like will there even be a need for the guitar in 10 years?

Yeah, you make some good points, but I think that there will always be a place for the guitar and guitar based bands. It takes talent to play a guitar whereas some of the genres you mentioned, do not require as much talent, so the talented will always gravitate to rock and genres like it.

ron666
Pop and rap are just mass-produced for money, dude. Rock and pretty much any natural music is still popular even though the money-farters shadow them with the mainstream electronic stuff.

If you guys want rock to be popular again, I strongly suggest you check these new young bands out and support them:

-The Red Coats
-The Nadiks
-Robert Nix
-LastDime
-Alice
-The Crookes
-Jet

And others!
Signatures are for noobs
Eventually people will get tired of the kitsch that is the mainstream today. Be it today or in 10 years, go out and play in the street and people will still be amazed by the real music that contains real emotions.
plenty of popular bands that use guitars. even Lady Gaga has a guitar player in her live band. don't think there is much danger of Guitar Center going out of business any time soon. as long as genres like Metal and Blues are around there will be guitar players.
What's your prejudice against electronic music anyway, and who says it can't be incorporated into rock?

I'd quite like to hear that actually. Sounds like it could be interesting.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
It's a little saddening that people still think rock is going to go away when it's been really successful for over half a century.
Quote by KnightBand
I'd quite like to hear that actually. Sounds like it could be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAmW7BPZWYo
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
What you guys say here scares me. There's no doubt that metall will go on because for majority of fans it has become some kind of addiction. As for more, this music helps you to develop your thinking, your mind, this music is made for expressing your self, but not for money like other styles(sure if we are not talking about modern types of metall). Metall can always help us in any case, this is the music that is always to your mood because of it's difference
Quote by Tim Shader
What you guys say here scares me. There's no doubt that metall will go on because for majority of fans it has become some kind of addiction. As for more, this music helps you to develop your thinking, your mind, this music is made for expressing your self, but not for money like other styles(sure if we are not talking about modern types of metall). Metall can always help us in any case, this is the music that is always to your mood because of it's difference

Yes I agree with you about metal expressing a mood, but what mood would you say that metal expresses?

Also I agree that most electronic music is made for money, but it also expresses a mood as well. Most of it is dance music and it has to express some emotion in order to encourage people to get on a dance floor.

ron666