I've been thinking about this guitar, but I don't know a lot about the S series. I tried an S2020 Prestige at GC today liked it, but these are 2 different guitars obviously. Does anyone know anything about the S570DXQM or the S series in general? Worth buying, or should I just get a standard RG?
you're a stone fox
I would probably get a Prestige, but that doesn't fit my budget right now.
you're a stone fox
I've got an S570, here's some things I like and don't like.

It's really thin. SUPER THIN! Like, 1cm at its thinnest on the horns, and it maybe tapers in to about 5cm at the middle. Because it's so thing, it's really light, and for me this is great because it makes it really comfortable too.
The bridge is alright. You'll probably end up fiddling with it, but it has some great features like the wheel in the back for spring tension, and the intonation tool that make things so much easier. I've never actually figured out what the ZPS thing does, so can't comment on how well that works. You can get all the whammy tricks out of the bridge, just be wary of the bar not staying where you put it. I like to have my bar quite close, but it always just comes loose after 2 or 3 uses and falls down and I'm not sure how to fix that.
The pickups are a bit shit but they do the job.
Quote by Aleene
I've got an S570, here's some things I like and don't like.

It's really thin. SUPER THIN! Like, 1cm at its thinnest on the horns, and it maybe tapers in to about 5cm at the middle. Because it's so thing, it's really light, and for me this is great because it makes it really comfortable too.
The bridge is alright. You'll probably end up fiddling with it, but it has some great features like the wheel in the back for spring tension, and the intonation tool that make things so much easier. I've never actually figured out what the ZPS thing does, so can't comment on how well that works. You can get all the whammy tricks out of the bridge, just be wary of the bar not staying where you put it. I like to have my bar quite close, but it always just comes loose after 2 or 3 uses and falls down and I'm not sure how to fix that.
The pickups are a bit shit but they do the job.

I was doing some research on it and you can take the wheel out and it works like a normal trem. Would you recommend this guitar or should I look elsewhere?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
I was doing some research on it and you can take the wheel out and it works like a normal trem. Would you recommend this guitar or should I look elsewhere?

Well if you take the wheel out it won't work as a normal trem, it won't work at all lol. Here's a picture of the inside of the back.

It all works as a normal trem right now, I just don't have a clue what the ZPS thing is actually supposed to do. And yes I'd recommend it, however it's a bit of an acquired taste. The whole thing is really thin and light, neck and body, so make sure you try one first! And you might want to go for the 470 or a normal 570 and buy some replacement pups, because the ones I tried were all pretty much the same, just the one I have now felt the best.
Quote by Aleene
Well if you take the wheel out it won't work as a normal trem, it won't work at all lol. Here's a picture of the inside of the back.

Alright, I'll call my local stores and ask if they have any in stock to try. I went to GC today to try one, but they didn't have any.
you're a stone fox
I've played one. I really like the S series (it's probably my favorite guitar shape and the one I'm most comfortable playing) and I would say go for it. I'd save a little for a Prestige because you can find one on the used market (especially if you are looking for a RG if that's ok with you) for 600 bucks. That said, it's harder to find an S prestige on the bay for that price and this is without a doubt a great guitar. Here's just a little about what I've come across with the S series.

Pros:
It's thin... really thin. And it's amazingly light and comfortable to play for extended periods while standing up.

The trem system is great and the ZPS really helps for double bends so they don't go out of tune. The ZR in generally is a really good system and the intonation tool built in is great help for adjusting more easily. Also, the travel is great and it's super smooth during vibratos and the occasional divebombs because of the ball bearing system. It feels like no other trem... it's almost effortless to use and feels great. It's also extremely comfortable. It's definitely the most comfortable tremolo for palm muting and feel that I've come across personally. No sharp edges and feels great to rest your palm on depending on your playing style when picking.

The jack placement of the S series is great. Having the input there allows you to sit many more ways without bumping the cable and jack around.

They're very versatile. I get a lot of good tones out of my S2170FB which is surprising considering how thin they are.

Cons:
Sustain is lacking because of how thin and light it is. It isn't too bad, but don't expect to be playing it like a Les Paul. Also, the newer ZR's are apparently even bigger culprits for sustain rob because of the new composition of the metal in the cavity.

The trem arm is terrible. It comes loose and the socket is prone to breakage with heavy use. It was apparently fixed on the new ZR's but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't exactly the best arm and socket design. Luckily, a genuine Floyd Rose arm and socket can be retrofitted without any modifications. It simply drops in. I did that to mine and it's much better.

The pickups... but you already knew that. If you play through an amp that's worthwhile, do yourself a favor and put a good set of pups in it.

The finish wears really easily (on the parts not the body). My Prestige is only a year old and theres no finish left on my volume knob... none... it's just silver where as the tone know is completely cosmo black and the finish is beginning to wear off of my bridge humbucker's pickup ring. That said, when it wears off, it leaves a brilliant chrome underneath which actually looks really cool. It gives this worn aged effect that I love. To me it's character, but to others it could be just wear and unattractive, so keep that in mind if that would bother you.

This may or may not be fixed, but on the older S series guitars, the trem radius does not match the neck radius. It's only slightly off but if you play with your action super low you can potentially fret out notes during bends. It can be remedied by shimming the middle 4 saddles of the bridge to varying degrees, but if that's been fixed, it's a non issue. I know my Prestige has a Wizard Prestige neck on it and it has a different radius than the ZR as well but I've never fret out notes on my particular guitar and honestly have never had a problem and my action is pretty damn low. I don't know how low we're talking to do that, but it is apparently an issue for some, so keep that in mind if it hasn't been fixed by Ibanez (can anyone confirm if it has been or not).

Well, with that said, the S series is a great guitar. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat but if you like the RG series too, I'd go for a Prestige RG over this S because at the end of the day, you'll feel the difference in the Prestige even if it is a lower end RG Prestige. It's all up to you though. If you get the chance, play both an S series and an RG Prestige (and if you can't get a hold of an RG Prestige, at least mess around and feel the difference between an S and an RG with your playing style). Long story short, if you really love the S series, go for this one. If you're ok with an S or an RG, get an RG Prestige.

Also, here's mine because I just want to show off because I love it so much
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Dec 17, 2011,
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna go for the S, but I'm still gonna find a few to try out.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Krauser
The trem system is great and the ZPS really helps for double bends so they don't go out of tune.

It's definitely the most comfortable tremolo for palm muting and feel that I've come across personally. No sharp edges and feels great to rest your palm on depending on your playing style when picking.

Luckily, a genuine Floyd Rose arm and socket can be retrofitted without any modifications. It simply drops in. I did that to mine and it's much better.

Not to hijack but I might as well ask these here
Is that what the bugger is meant to do? Help with little things like that so everything doesn't go out of tune every 3 bends?

This is super legit and I forgot to mention it, but palm muting is really nice on the ZR trem. It kind of slopes underneath your hand and is really easy to control how much you mute

Any links to help a brother out with this?