I am looking at purchasing a 16 ohm extension cab but may want to replace the 16 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm to be more compatible with all my amps. provided I plug the cab with the new 8 ohm speaker into the appropriate jacks on the amps is there any issue with this as far as the cab goes? its a VHT 112 cab.

I assume its the speaker that determines the load and not the cab but any help on this will be appreciated.

thanks
Gear

Gibson Blueshawk
American Deluxe Telecaster
Washburn Pilsen Idol
Washburn Golden Harvest
Washburn Acoustic D-30

Koch Classictone 210
Pignose G40 V
don't think so, i think you're right. you just have to remember it's 8 ohm.

wait till someone more knwledgeable comes along but i think i'm right. i replaced my 10" 16 ohm vht speaker the other day with an 8 ohm and that worked fine (again, like you said, i just have to plug it into the right jack)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 17, 2011,
The speaker is the sole thing that determines the cab's impedance. Whatever the speaker's impedance is, that's what the cab's impedance will be also.
^

EDIT: (with more than one speaker, how it's wired will also affect the impedance, but yeah in a 1x12 the impedance is teh speaker's impedance)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

(with more than one speaker, how it's wired will also affect the impedance, but yeah in a 1x12 the impedance is teh speaker's impedance)

Right right.
no worries, i know you know, just putting it there in case someone else doesn't
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks everyone.
Gear

Gibson Blueshawk
American Deluxe Telecaster
Washburn Pilsen Idol
Washburn Golden Harvest
Washburn Acoustic D-30

Koch Classictone 210
Pignose G40 V