To record my amp I'm getting a microphone but I'm not sure what i should get?
A Ribbon microphone or a Condenser? Which is better for recording an amp
I've heard about SM57s are they the standard model?
Dynamic.

Condensers are for acoustical sounds and whole rooms, or as overheads on drumsets.
Ribbons are just very expensive, too much for amp recording.

SM57s would be the most common mic in studios. You can use them for nearly anything.
SM57s are the industry standard. Dynamic, cardioid, high off-axis rejection. Also not very good at all--not as cringe-inducingly atrocious as some people will tell you, but they're incredibly...bland. The recording doesn't sound quite like the original sound, and the difference is almost never positive. Not even in the top 25% of instrument mics.

Ribbon mics have a very "colored" sound, especially the under-$300 ones. You don't get a clear, accurate representation of the sound source, you get the sound source with a distinctive ribbon color. This usually means less treble. They're also very, very sensitive, and can be destroyed by a powerful amp, so you can't put them right up on the grill like you can with an SM57. MXL advertise their R144 as an electric guitar mic, though, so it might be better suited for that? And ProGuitarShop uses a Royer R122 for their demos, and it sounds amazing.

Condenser mics tend to be the clearest and most faithful to the original sound. They're also prone to distortion and, potentially, damage at the kind of volume a high-powered guitar amp reaches, and they sometimes accentuate the harsher harmonics, so a lot of engineers hesitate to use them on guitars. A good condenser, a foot or two away from the amp, at moderate volume, is a great sound--see Radiohead's From the Basement set for an example of a Neumann on a Vox. A condenser on the grill at high volume is ear rape.

Most of the time, we use dynamic mics for recording guitar. They can withstand immense sound pressure and tend to filter out the most extreme frequencies in a way that flatters distorted guitars. Some of the more popular low-budget options are the Sennheiser E609 and Audix i5. These can be put right up against the grill, even when playing fairly loudly, and tend to be accurate in the guitar's most important frequency range. More high-end options include the Heil PR40 and my personal favorite, the Electro-Voice RE20.

Hope this helped.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Dec 17, 2011,