I am wanting to upgrade my pickups in my SE Santana. I was looking at Bare Knuckle and they sound absolutely amazing, but with that comes a lot of dough. If they really are the best out there, I'll pay but I'd like to stay under $200 if I can. I play in a worship band at my church, but I play lead and rhythm. I want it to have loud, bright, clear highs, but it has to have some low end also for the open chords. I was looking at VH II and Cold Sweat if that helps you any.
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

wait a super distortion is pretty damn similar to a vh2?

i mean you might not think the BKPs are worth the extra, which is fair enough, but those two pickups are completely different, so let's not make stuff up.

if you're in the US, BKPs might not be teh best value- there are a bunch of US-based handwinders which might be a fair bit cheaper and which'd be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do live in the US, which does make BKP a bit extreme when you add shipping and all, so who do you suggest?
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Last edited by john.pratt1321 at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
wait a super distortion is pretty damn similar to a vh2?

i mean you might not think the BKPs are worth the extra, which is fair enough, but those two pickups are completely different, so let's not make stuff up.

if you're in the US, BKPs might not be teh best value- there are a bunch of US-based handwinders which might be a fair bit cheaper and which'd be worth considering.

They similar enough to save a shit-ton of money. The Screamin' Demon from Duncan is closer though.
Quote by Wisthekiller
They similar enough to save a shit-ton of money. The Screamin' Demon from Duncan is closer though.

No.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by john.pratt1321
I do live in the US, which does make BKP a bit extreme when you add shipping and all, so who do you suggest?

i haven't tried them, but things like bg, high order, wolfetone, wcr, zhangbucker etc. might be worth a look.

Quote by Wisthekiller

nah not really. the vh2 is a lower output alnico 5 paf type pickup, the super distortion is a high output ceramic type pickup.

granted both duncan and dimarzio do other models which'd be a lot closer to a vh2.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the input, I'll take a look at some of them.
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

I know it's not a popular opinion, but as a BKP owner, I have to say that they aren't worth how much more they cost. You can get like 90% of the way there with regular SD's or DiMarzios. The BKPs aren't worth the extra money, unless you just have that much money to throw into them with no hang ups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Which model of BKPs do you have? I want to put some money into the pickups because I want them to last and all, but yeah. $275 is a bit crazy.
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

I have a painkiller in my 7, and I like it, but there are other brands that are just as good or better for less. BG makes nice pickups, though they don't come up used very often and there is a wait time. I like Anderson pickups a lot too, and an H2 or H2+ and an H1- might work great for you. They're easier to find used and a set could be around $120.
I have a Mule. For $160 (after conversion, not including shipping), I want a pickup that jumps and screams at me I'm A BKP, LOOK AT HOW ****ING AWESOME I AM. It doesn't do that. That's a hell of a lot to pay for a single pickup that doesn't do that.

Like I said, if you have the money, by all means go for it. I'm not at all saying that they're bad pickups. Just that you can pretty much get there with any standard production pickup.

And if you're not playing through a handwired Plexi or something, it's kind of like... what's the point of having a pickup this expensive?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by rokket2005
I like Anderson pickups a lot too, and an H2 or H2+ and an H1- might work great for you. They're easier to find used and a set could be around $120.

this

i like the BKPs that i have in my 7 string, but the best pickups i've ever played are the SC2 single coils and H2+ Humbucker i have in my Tom Anderson. They give perfect note definition and sound amazing. if you can find a set go for those, but if not i'd say Dimarzio seeing as youre in the US. BKPs arent worth it unless you really have the spare cash.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The Nailbombs in my SL2H are, by far, the most articulate pickups I've ever heard. BKPs are more about finding the right match for your guitar. I've tried guitars with them before that I was quite underwhelmed with and the tried the same pickup in a different guitar and it was a completely different beast. iMO, they are more than worth the money, especially since you can pickup a set for ~$200 on the used market and are much easier to find used than the other boutique brands, which are at a similar price point. if you don't end up liking them, they hold their value extremely well. Buy a $300 set of any other pickup and try to get more than 60% return on them, its not likely.

However, if you're not going for high gain, there's probably others I'd look into before BKP.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
WCR Darkbursts and Wolfetone Marshallheads are both good alternatives.