Last edited by HanZy12 at Dec 17, 2011,
In the UK Vintage guitars are a better deal. Look at the AFD Vintage it has Alnico II's which slash use a version of.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Vintage's guitar doesn't use the Seymour Duncan pickups that Slash uses. In fact they don't use any SD pickups at all, all Vintage guitars use Wilkinson pickups which are as generic as you can get. Not bad, but not amazing. Not that there is anything amazing about the pickusp Slash uses either. And even that only matters if for some reason you are dead set on copying everything Slash does. Which few people care for, quite rightly.

The Epi SG and the Vintage PRS copy are going to give you different tones and feels to the two LP style guitars from Vintage and Epiphone. Before worrying about which brand, try and work out which kind of body style and tone you want. The LP style guitars will tend to have a thicker tone and weigh a little more with worse upper fret access than the other two. The PRS copy has a trem, if you're in to that sort of thing. The SG has the best fret access but can suffer from bad neck dive. All different strokes for different folks.

As for the brands themselves they're damn near the same. With Epiphone you will get more of your money back if you decide to sell the guitar later on, but obviously they cost more to begin with. In terms of sound and feel they're basically the same, at least when comparing similar models like the Vintage LP vs the Epi LP.
I don't think vintage guitars are very good. There's a bunch in the small music store around the corner and they're all heavy and feel unbalanced. they sound ok at best. If you're going to buy a gibson or prs style guitar you'd might as well go with the cheap versions both gibson and prs make.
Quote by grohl1987
Vintage's guitar doesn't use the Seymour Duncan pickups that Slash uses. In fact they don't use any SD pickups at all, all Vintage guitars use Wilkinson pickups which are as generic as you can get. Not bad, but not amazing. Not that there is anything amazing about the pickusp Slash uses either. And even that only matters if for some reason you are dead set on copying everything Slash does. Which few people care for, quite rightly.

I didnt mean SD alnico II's, I ment they used a alnico II pickup. Guess it could have been worded better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
go for the vintage. i've played both of them (Epi tradition and Vintage V100) and i think the Vintage one is better (just slightly better).
You can get really nice second hand epiphone les paul customs for £200 I know because I have bought some. However, standard pickups leave a lot to be desired. But, ebay is currently a buyers market as no ones buying anything, you may well pick up a set of second hand gibson pickups for the change you have leftover. Which is why my explorers pickups are sitting in a box rather than being sold on.