So I should be getting a bunch of backpay (from August), and I recently got home where my electric rig is and fired it up again. In the process of finding a good tone, I realized that I end up with a pretty low gain setup.

So what I'm looking for is a fuzz for some balls out prog rock rhythm playing, and some insanely sustaining lead lines.

I find Fu Manchu's sound to be a little too over-the-top fuzzy. I'm looking more for something along the lines of the heavier parts from Amplifier's guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mixPxkJswHA (I think he really kicks it off about a minute in)

I run an HSS mod-o-caster through a JCM800 50 watt combo from the mid-80s. I've already got a TS9 (one of the newer ones), which is great for funk, but doesn't really get me where I need to go.

Recommends? I'm looking to spend around $150.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I use an EH Big Muff P w/ tone wicker. It's super fuzzy, which might be too much for you, but the sustain is ridiculous. It's great for punk and grunge and some of Jack White's stuff.
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. It's got controls to let you pump the mids up a bit and get some more focus in the bass frequencies.

I highly advise avoiding the modern day EHX Big Muffs.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz. It's got controls to let you pump the mids up a bit and get some more focus in the bass frequencies.

I highly advise avoiding the modern day EHX Big Muffs.

This. The musket is still one of my all time favourite fuzzes. It's quite a versatile Muff style fuzz.
Swollen Pickle, hands down.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I do love my Pickle but I think it might not have a tight enough sound for rhythm playing in most genres.
some kind of green muff clone would probably be what your looking for though you might find the sustain lacking compared to other muff's
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Barber Dirty Bomb?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone