im in the process of learning sweep picking, and a personal problem is standing in my way. i havnt been able to use the same pick for more than 1 session, and i cant find a pick that feels right. i generally use thicker picks, but i look for a sharper point and a very sturdy build. i have found some good picks, but they're always ridiculously too large or its edge is way too flat. im not sure if this is just stupid, or if its worth searching one out. does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
I suspect Jazz IIIs will be mentioned - Have you tried them? A lot of guitarists swear by them, though some just don't seem to like them. It's about £4 for 6 on Amazon, well worth a try
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
The Dunlop jazz iii picks are pretty nice. They are thick, pointy and small.

(the red pick)
I use either Jazz III picks or the poly-gel Dava Jazz Grip picks. Tend to use the latter more because of the gripping.

Just a point though - you can end up spending all your time trying different picks, trying to work out why you can't play something, when actually it's almost always just that you're not practising enough..
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 17, 2011,
Try everything and anything
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I'm going to be original and suggest Jazz IIIs. I use the max-grip carbon-fibre versions. I think I've had them for... nearly two years? Bought four, only lost one, and none have needed to be replaced. These bastards are almost impossible to grind down through playing...

Small, thin, and stiff. The grip on them means I can hold it far looser without fear of it slipping. That makes it great for me for strumming and sweeping so I can do both with ease.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I really recommend Dava picks, I've used Jazz IIIs for years but I'm never going back now. They're rubber picks with a hard tip ( delrin in my case, I believe ) and they have tractor grip.

The idea is that if you put pressure near the tip, you play with a hard tip ( great for teh shredz ), whereas if you put a bit more pressure on the other side of the pick, you still pick with the hard part but the pick becomes much more flexible.
This enables you to switch from fast leads to sweeps and strumming by just changing the part of the pick you put pressure on.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by llBlackenedll
I use either Jazz III picks or the poly-gel Dava Jazz Grip picks. Tend to use the latter more because of the gripping.

Just a point though - you can end up spending all your time trying different picks, trying to work out why you can't play something, when actually it's almost always just that you're not practising enough..

+1

This

Just stick to whatever pick you have been using for the time being.

It will get comfortable (when it does) then you can keep trying everything you come across..
The pick is rarely the problem, sure it can make things feel better, but if the technique is lacking no pick will fix it and you will waste lots of time and mental energy.
Hi guys,

I'm by no means whatsoever a good sweep picker, just started.

Practicing about an hour a day, but I find the traditional "fist" grip with those small Jazz III's a pain in the arse? Or is it just me? :/

I usually hold my picks the so called "incorrect way", between the fingertip of my thumb and and side of the knuckle of my index finger. I find this comfortable and flexible.
But apparently I'm supposed to use the "fist" grip, holding the pick between the knuckle of my thumb and the knuckle of my index finger.

But I find this incredibly annoying and impractical: the Jazz III is a small pick (it was recommended to me by my teacher) so its already hard to grip it with this fist grip, and what's more, my damned index finger relaxes by itself over time, and then it starts touching the strings I'm trying to play...

Am I doing something wrong or would a different pick be a better idea?
Or should I stay with my original grip?
"You've done it! Now do it well! "
- David Belle, Parkour Traceur
Quote by Gorrox
Hi guys,

I'm by no means whatsoever a good sweep picker, just started.

Practicing about an hour a day, but I find the traditional "fist" grip with those small Jazz III's a pain in the arse? Or is it just me? :/

I usually hold my picks the so called "incorrect way", between the fingertip of my thumb and and side of the knuckle of my index finger. I find this comfortable and flexible.
But apparently I'm supposed to use the "fist" grip, holding the pick between the knuckle of my thumb and the knuckle of my index finger.

But I find this incredibly annoying and impractical: the Jazz III is a small pick (it was recommended to me by my teacher) so its already hard to grip it with this fist grip, and what's more, my damned index finger relaxes by itself over time, and then it starts touching the strings I'm trying to play...

Am I doing something wrong or would a different pick be a better idea?
Or should I stay with my original grip?

Your index finger should be relaxed, maybe you're gripping it too hard. Gripping too hard/tensing up is bad enough for playing in general, but for sweep picking which relies on a smooth motion it's not going to work at all.

Also you don't need to hold your pick between your thumb knuckle and side of your index finger, it's not for everyone. Some prefer between the pad of their thumb, some like it on the pad of their index... hold it how a) it's most comfortable and b) how it has the most natural stability without you having to apply much if any pressure to keep it in position.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by Slashiepie
+1

This

Just stick to whatever pick you have been using for the time being.

It will get comfortable (when it does) then you can keep trying everything you come across..
The pick is rarely the problem, sure it can make things feel better, but if the technique is lacking no pick will fix it and you will waste lots of time and mental energy.

+1

TS, don't obsess over minor details like which pick you should be using, it's a problem with your technique (probably inadequate practice), not with your pick. Sweeping is a very difficult technique that takes months/years to get down fluidly, it will take some time.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w

Tip of thumb and side of index is correct. I don't even know how you would use thumb "knuckle" to hold.

In detail - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4
Quote by Freepower
Tip of thumb and side of index is correct. I don't even know how you would use thumb "knuckle" to hold.

In detail - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

hhaha i just tried using the back of the thumb joint for shits and giggles, since i guess thats what he meant by knuckle.. weird as hell but pretty possible and insanely fass (requieres tensing up for speed though)
Quote by Slashiepie
hhaha i just tried using the back of the thumb joint for shits and giggles, since i guess thats what he meant by knuckle.. weird as hell but pretty possible and insanely fass (requieres tensing up for speed though)

I think Satch holds the pick like that. It works quite well actually, I sometimes do it as it has a lot of natural stability. And it's entirely possible to do without tensing. The main disadvantage to holding the pick in this was is that you have less flexibility with the angle (due to the rigid but stable way it grips the pick).
Hang on I think I realized why it felt so damn horrible.. I was trying to hold pick between the knuckles of my thumb and index, but it seems I'm meant to hold between tip of thumb and knuckle of index?? (Damn Guitar Pro forums don't e-mail me to say when I have replies :/)
But thanks for the help guys going to try adjust grip...
A lot better, but still my index finger gets a bit relaxed over time.. :?
Maybe I just need to work at that. Is there a way to post images to the forum?
Difficult to explain what my index is doing
Quote by Gorrox
Hang on I think I realized why it felt so damn horrible.. I was trying to hold pick between the knuckles of my thumb and index, but it seems I'm meant to hold between tip of thumb and knuckle of index?? (Damn Guitar Pro forums don't e-mail me to say when I have replies :/)
But thanks for the help guys going to try adjust grip...
A lot better, but still my index finger gets a bit relaxed over time.. :?
Maybe I just need to work at that. Is there a way to post images to the forum?
Difficult to explain what my index is doing

What's wrong with your index relaxing? Why are you tensing it?
Normal or XL Jazz III's. In black, you will never want another pick again, except maybe for pickscrapes, which is why I favor the XL.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Honestly guys i think you are focusing on the wrong thing. Although a pick can be important i don't why why you can't sweep pick with any pick.

My honest opinion is: instead of trying to find the perfect pick just choose a pick you already have ( i use a 1 mm dunlop) and start playing.

Here a blueprint of how to learn how to sweep pick properly. (i assure it i not one of the article where i show you a shape and tell you to practice the hell out of it. It is more in depth)

http://www.guitarlearningtips.org/guitar-technique/sweep-picking-exercises/

Enjoy
Quote by llBlackenedll
What's wrong with your index relaxing? Why are you tensing it?

I'm not specifically tensing it, but after a while the tip of my index finger tends to drop past the point of the pick, and then my strings buzzes because my index was touching it when I picked, but I'm assuming this just takes practice to phase out?