okay, so alternate on bass e.

basically i can't go slower than what i could do. which is bad, i think.

uh, so i pick 16th and it sounds a bit okay i hope??. but when i try to slow down to 8th, I can't get the same movement cuz it'll sound soft. Tis a bit hard to xplain uhm.. basically my the way my hand moves changes depending on the speed.

i tried observing my hand and I noticed, when I go faster my wrist moves less, more confined movements. I forced my hand to mimic that move at half speed and it made no sound because it was something like uhh.. okay pretend the top part of the string, the upside down "U" part is a river bridge. And the pick is a person, and he's walking on the bridge, touching it at all times. I hope I get understood hahaha.

so when I play slower i have to make the pick.. um it's above the string, in the air, hit the top middle part of the string, then end below it, in the air, to make it sound.

People say to start slow with tremolo, well this is the problem, if i start slow, it isn't the movement I use when I'm faster, because of tone issues. Hmmm
Maybe you should strike the strings a little bit harder if it's too soft?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
If I'm understanding correctly, you tremolo pick by tensing up. This is bad. Start over.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
If I'm understanding correctly, you tremolo pick by tensing up. This is bad. Start over.

If you are saying its bad to tense up, then you are wrong. I recently watched an interview with Michael Angelo Batio, and he's one of the better alternate pickers out there. In his tremolo, he starts plucking with his wrist, then as he gets faster, its mostly arm movement, so it's more tense.
Quote by MantheDan
If you are saying its bad to tense up, then you are wrong. I recently watched an interview with Michael Angelo Batio, and he's one of the better alternate pickers out there. In his tremolo, he starts plucking with his wrist, then as he gets faster, its mostly arm movement, so it's more tense.

When picking from the elbow palm muting goes out the window.
Quote by MantheDan

And we all know you'll end up with Tenditionis this way... Paul Gilbert use to do this, he got tenditionis and retaught himself correctly so he could play a little longer. By 60 he won't be able to play guitar unless he wants to screw his arm up. Do you want that fate?
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by MantheDan

Doesn't he anchor as well?

He plays quickly and well, but he's not technically flawless. Petrucci has a similar tendency. They're fantastic guitarists, but someone shouldn't say "well, it's okay, this guy has a nuance that typically isn't a good idea, i can do it too" when you're trying to perfect technique.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Doesn't he anchor as well?

He plays quickly and well, but he's not technically flawless. Petrucci has a similar tendency. They're fantastic guitarists, but someone shouldn't say "well, it's okay, this guy has a nuance that typically isn't a good idea, i can do it too" when you're trying to perfect technique.

He does which contributes to him getting tenditionis one day. And +1.

Perfect Technique = No muscule problems
Sloppy Inconstistent technique = muscule problems down the road.

You can lift wieghts with your back all you want now. Down the road you'll wish you used your legs....
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by MantheDan
No I am not tensing up, it does not hurt or something.

Maybe you should strike the strings a little bit harder if it's too soft?
It's the movement itself that's different, the path of motion of my wrist.. mine sounds like a horribl scrapy noise.
Last edited by luxeion at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by luxeion
No I am not tensing up, it does not hurt or something.

It's the movement itself that's different, the path of motion of my wrist.. mine sounds like a horribl scrapy noise.

How are you angling your pick?
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
How are you angling your pick?
about 60 degrees, and pointed end slanted upward. it sounds ok at higher speeds, i just can't get a good sound when it is slowed down with the same exact movement
Quote by luxeion
about 60 degrees, and pointed end slanted upward. it sounds ok at higher speeds, i just can't get a good sound when it is slowed down with the same exact movement

Try new angles that'll pick clearer. It's kind of a subconscious thing now, but I'll catch myself alt. picking with a certain angle, then switching to sweep, or switching for heavy palm mutes, just minute adjustments to get the most out of each individual technique I'm addressing. That's where I'd say the "scratchy" sound might be coming from, just without seeing/hearing you. Paul Gilbert often plays with an unorthodox angle so he can get his instrument to sound a bit more "like a cello" - it works great sometimes, but other times you just have to accept that picking isn't a one-size-fits-all kinda technique.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
From the sticky wrotten by Freepower:

“Why can’t I pick at 150bpm, but I can at 220?”
Because the speed covers your lack of solid timing and hand synchronisation…

If you didnt start off practicing real slow then its no surprise you sound bad when you play slow :P Go practice insanely slow, thats all.

Quote by luxeion

People say to start slow with tremolo, well this is the problem, if i start slow, it isn't the movement I use when I'm faster, because of tone issues. Hmmm

You do not start by learning the motion to play fast and then use it to play slow, you start by learning the motion to play slow and then use that same motion to play fast.

Yeah, time to rework your picking and congrats! you just learned your first bad habit, now you will have to consciously observe that your picking motion when playing fast isn´t extremely different than the one playing slow.

(dont fret it doesnt have to be 100% equal either, but having 2 different techniques or more for different speeds means you have to work on many different techniques, aka waste of time if you could be perfecting one)

Different musical ideas requiere different musical approaches, so im not saying you will now use exactly the same thing for everything your whole life and it should always be similar, but you should stick to the basics as much as you can, untill you develop a good enough style so that you can take any extra freedoms you want. (not next week, not next month, maybe next year, maybe in 2 years, maybe in 10, depending on how much you practice, but get the basics real good and real solid first)

The guitar is a bitch and impatience will yield you lots of wasted time and bad habits
Time to practice :P SLOW! :P
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie

Yeah, time to rework your picking and congrats! you just learned your first bad habit, now you will have to consciously observe that your picking motion when playing fast isn´t extremely different than the one playing slow.

i found out my slower picking is less efficient, it hits off the string making it seemingly impossible to go fast but the sound is very good, ahh, .. ahhhh im back to 60bpm. hahhaha. ^-^;;;;
Quote by luxeion
i found out my slower picking is less efficient, it hits off the string making it seemingly impossible to go fast but the sound is very good, ahh, .. ahhhh im back to 60bpm. hahhaha. ^-^;;;;

Thats the attitude , since your are just starting out correcting anything wont really take too long, but you will notice it is hard to break out of the comfort zone. Imagine what happens when someone sticks to a bad habit for years.. it is insanely hard to change it.