I had my amp repaired and retubed. The guy offered to put in a set of sovtek power tubes he had, rather than prolonging the repair by ordering a different set. It was cheaper than ordering, so I just had him go ahead and put in the sovteks. Are they decent tubes, tonally? I've heard mixed reviews on them. I'm picking the amp up tomorrow, so will I be disappointed?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I've put Sovtek in my Valveking. I really liked... It was way better than the JJ they had standardly.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
Sovtek tubes are fine. Unless you want to drop big bucks on NOS tubes, you'll likely be happy with them.
They're okay tubes but I have had issues with them going microphonic after a couple of hours use.
Well; the same factory that makes Sovtek makes several other brands that people seem to think highly of, so they must be all right. Whether they sound noticeably different is subjective, as is the question of whether you will like the sound of your amp loaded with Sovteks. The only way to answer the last two questions is to plug the amp in, hook up your guitar and play. Find out for yourself if you like it...or if you can even tell the difference.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Don't like them. Don't put one in your tone stack, it'll probably curl up and die. New Sensor's other valves are better. The grids are different between the different ones (Sovtek, TungSol, Mullard RI, Svetlana <--el crappo) and they sound and last differently. The Sovteks are churned out for the OEM market. I'd stay away from them. The LPS's are ok but I'd stay away from WA and WB.

As an interesting note and clear up any possible misunderstanding; New Sensor make a tube called a Svetlana. They bought the name. These are not to be confused with SED which are actually made in the old Svetlana factory. New Sensor just bought the name. The Svetlana 12AX7's made by New Sensor are a dead sounding piece of crap. I'd probably rank them last out of all New Sensor's 12AX7's. Dreadful tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
yeah i'm not too fussed either (based on the few i've tried). "Ok" is just about right- you can generally do better. They're not so bad that they'll make you hate an amp you already like, but they're a bit two-dimensional sounding.

I got a sovtek 5751 recently (as it was supposed to be one of the few decent sovteks) and i didn't think it was amazing, either- better than the other sovteks i've tried, but not great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ive had 2 sets of sovtek 5881s both sets failed pretty fast even though they are suposed to be reliable, replaced with sed winged c 6l6 and the tone improved alot as with the reliability since they already outlasted the both sovtek sets together

sed was twice the price but its worth it
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard