Hey everyone. I've ordered my new guitar, a used '98 Ibanez RG570. I'm now looking for an amp to use, since all I've got are my Fender Frontman/Mega practice amps at the moment. I'm trying to find either a combo or a dirt cheap head/cabinet. I'd like to spend around $300-400, maybe a tiny bit more if its worth it (XXX combos go for around $400-450).

I play a lot of different kinds of music, but the amp I get has to be able to handle hard rock and metal. For this reason I've been looking at used Peavey amps...the XXX, Windsor, Ultra/+, etc.

The Windsor seems pretty cheap, especially used. Can it do metal? (the new Ibanez I'm getting comes with a modded Boss DS-1, if that helps. gonna grab a Dano Fish n' Chips EQ asap as well)

Are there any other options out there? I'd probably have to go used.

EDIT: I usually only play in my bedroom or at my friend's apartment. I don't need anything crazy-loud that I can use for stadium shows and whatnot.
Last edited by TJM2482 at Dec 17, 2011,
You have to be careful with a Windsor. Play it first. They don't really do clean well at all. They are meant for gain and always sound a little dirty even at their cleanest settings.

Jet City makes good Soldano designed tube amps at a good price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca2112rc-20w-tube-guitar-combo-amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca-series-jca5212rc-50w-tube-guitar-combo

Egnater also has some nice amps at or near that price range.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-112-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/423554000283000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-rebel-30-112-1x12-30w-tube-combo-guitar-amp

And personally I'd stay away from Bugera. They tend to have plenty of problems.
Quote by stealstrings
Bugera maybe?
I'd probably have to go with the V22 combo unless I can find a sub-$100 cab with a better speaker than the proprietary Bugera one from the combo. Haven't heard much about the V22 (or Bugera amps in general, besides being Peavey clones).
An amp that you can do just about anything...... Try the BLACKHEART Little Giant or Handsome Devil. Both work Awesome with pedals!!! Both well below $400
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Last edited by TheFUBAR at Dec 17, 2011,
I'd probs go with the XXX. The windsor is a jcm800 clone. It will do stuff like 80's metal without a boost, but not really modern metal.

For british metal sound maybe either the windsor, jet city or blackstar would work. If you play heavier than I'd go the XXX
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by TheFUBAR
An amp that you can do just about anything...... Try the BLACKHEART Little Giant or Handsome Devil. Both work Awesome with pedals!!! Both well below $400
There's a Handsome Devil combo up on the bay for $299 + shipping...not bad
Quote by TJM2482
I'd probably have to go with the V22 combo unless I can find a sub-$100 cab with a better speaker than the proprietary Bugera one from the combo. Haven't heard much about the V22 (or Bugera amps in general, besides being Peavey clones).

Have a V22, got it 1/2 off at GC, and love it. reliable, loud, and easy to use. I play Marshall TSL's into 1960a cabs Live, but for home and small gigs, the Bugera is a solid, high quality amp that I am proud to own. Great for blues to rock and definitely jazz,and with a pedal, metal.
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by guitar351
Have a V22, got it 1/2 off at GC, and love it. reliable, loud, and easy to use. I play Marshall TSL's into 1960a cabs Live, but for home and small gigs, the Bugera is a solid, high quality amp that I am proud to own. Great for blues to rock and definitely jazz,and with a pedal, metal.

Bugera is a Behringer brand. I'm on my second Behringer keyboard amp. It has a Bugera 15" speaker. The amp started making popping noises right before the extended warranty was going to run out. They sent me a new one and didn't want the old one back. I re-soldered some of the connections in back and the popping went away, but now the FX don't work.

Glad you like you Bugera, though. Hope you keep having good experiences with it.
With the XXX, I would mostly use the crunch channel. What amps have a comparable amount of gain? Usually on the XXX if I use crunch and put the gain at 10 it can do some metal, especially with an EQ.
Quote by jetwash69
Bugera is a Behringer brand. I'm on my second Behringer keyboard amp. It has a Bugera 15" speaker. The amp started making popping noises right before the extended warranty was going to run out. They sent me a new one and didn't want the old one back. I re-soldered some of the connections in back and the popping went away, but now the FX don't work.

Glad you like you Bugera, though. Hope you keep having good experiences with it.

As with anything people have good and bad experiences it's great to hear people sharing experiences and not trolling. In my experience the amp has been fantastic, I wrote a review if anyone is interested.

I am mainly a blues player but do like to play some Porcupine Tree here and there and have to say it really, really needs a pedal to get it into metal territory the over drive channel will do light rock at the best. But as far as tone and oomph the V22 does it for me. There is just something awesome about cranking the volume and pumping out some nice clean powerful chords.
The 6505+ combos seem to go for pretty cheap, in the $400-450 territory alongside the XXX combo.
Perhaps, check out Kustom amps....they can give u a really nice clean tone as well as a drive sound.
They are pretty cheap and able to cover a wide range of styles
Last edited by Chayakorn at Dec 19, 2011,
Just a suggestion dont get the fish and chips eq its pretty bad, i found it didnt affect my signal at all, so unless u want a really subtle effect dont get it, it really sucks tone.
Cheers
im thinking of grabbing the kustom defender 5h half stack with a metal muff.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've got a Kustom powered wedge stage monitor. 15", 100 watts. It does really well and cost about half what the nearest competitor cost.

The hysterical thing about it is all the reviews where people were bitching about it not amplifying their mics when they plugged in direct--duh, you need a pre-amp for a mic or guitar using powered monitors.

But make sure you thoroughly try out any type of Kustom guitar amp/cab before buying--they get a lot of negative comments around here. I've never come accross a tube version in person, but I wasn't impressed with their solid state guitar amps.
If you aren't in a band do not buy a head and cabinet way too much power for your bedroom or garage. If you must have a tube amp buy a peavey classic 30 and a tonelab le run it into your effects return and you will have every tone you want except maybe ultra scooped metal but it does most metal just fine.
Anything cheaper than the $400-450 range XXX and 6505+? I see some Peavey Classic 30's going for cheap, same with Peavey Windsors.

I assume the cheaper VHT Special 6 Ultra, Blackheart Little Giant/Handsome Devil, Blackstar HT1R aren't as good?
Last edited by TJM2482 at Dec 22, 2011,
Peavey Triumph 60, you can fint them used 1x12 combo for less then $200 on ebay/craigslist.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by B.Cross
If you aren't in a band do not buy a head and cabinet way too much power for your bedroom or garage.

Master volume?

Go for the Ultra/XXX. Or maybe the Triumph. Decent amps for good prices. If you're into modding your amps, there's some stuff you can do to them.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I've never heard of the Triumph. Does it do hi-gain similarly to the XXX/Ultra?
I'd second the motion that halfstack is OK for garage/BR if (and only if) you have a good master volume (and the amp has a good tube pre-amp, not solid state).

Actually, if you have a sporty vehicle, it's better for home use than gigs. I got room in the trailer for halfstack and drums, but the 4x12 doesn't fit anywhere in my Mustang. And I'm not lugging that stuff around in an open truck bed.

I can fit the head and a Marshall MG30DFX in the 'Stang. I unplugged the speaker from the built-in amp, wired up a jack, and use it like a 1x10 cab if I don't need to bring drums with me, or if the stage is too crowded for the 4x12. It's fine as long as I don't turn up the master volume over 3. And I've never needed to turn it up past 2.5 yet. When I had everything on 10 with the 4x12 once at home, it literally knocked down a few tab books off the shelf.
Quote by TJM2482
I've never heard of the Triumph. Does it do hi-gain similarly to the XXX/Ultra?

yes, I believe it is the pre-ultra yrs. it is a good amp, sounds very much like an Ultra
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you can find a Peavey JSX in your budget, buy it. Nice cleans, gets downright nasty if you crank up the gain. Pretty nice amp. It's basically the Satriani signature model of the XXX.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes