I'm starting to think a plug and play set up, that is getting all your dirt from pedals going into a clean amp, is probably better for what I want to do.

Question is, what would be a good single channel amp to do so that has enough headroom to gig with. Mostly small open-mic kind of stuff.

I was looking at a $500 JCM 2000 DSL 50 on craigslist, but I would prefer something simple.

Budget: <$800 used.

Genres: I'm going to be running pedals into a clean amp. But I range from SRV to The Human Abstract. I really like Eddie's tone..

New or Used: Used preferably

Home or Gig: Mostly home, small gigs, open mics, jams, etc.

Closest City: Tampa, FL

Current Gear: In sig
Quote by telemetal
A nice Fender amp of some sort would probably do you perfectly.

This or a roland jazz chorus.
RIP Gooze

cats
My Hot Rod Deluxe takes pedals grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! I picked up a White Lightning one for $400. There's one on my CL going for $200 I thin. 40 watts so its nice and loud.
I disagree with the JC recommendations. I like its cleans, but to my ears it gives jazzy, shimmery, and pristine cleans, not bluesy cleans like what the TS seems to want.

I'm going to recommend a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I've seen those around $800 used before.

What's also really good (and highly overlooked here) is the Carvin VT series. For your needs, you'd probably do best with the Nomad. That one goes for $600 new, and it not just has amazing articulate cleans, but a decent drive channel should you ever need it. And it's 50w, more than enough clean headroom. Here's a clip (of the 2x12 version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-CPSN4LHo
Carvin legacies go for $400 all day at gc, and Craigslist, awesome cleans.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra