My budget is about $350. $400 at the very most, but that's quite a stretch.
I'm looking for a guitar that sounds metal but doesn't have crappy cleans. By metal I mean either the old stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and the big 4 or melodeath. I care a lot more about sound than I do about looks and I'm alright with buying used.
Other than fiddling with a friend's acoustic for a few minutes, I've never played a guitar before. However, I've been playing piano for half of my life and I know quite a bit about music theory, so I'm not a total music n00b.
I'm currently interested in getting either an Epiphone SG or an Ibanez of some sort, so any insight on those two brands would be appreciated.
if you're interested in an Epi SG, dont. Look at Used Gibsons, the SG special is in that range, and that's one guitar you'll keep for life.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Quote by JoeFlips
if you're interested in an Epi SG, dont. Look at Used Gibsons, the SG special is in that range, and that's one guitar you'll keep for life.

This
If you're looking at Ibanez then try to find a used RGT. I picked up an RGT42 with flamed maple top for $400 used, and it's a great guitar. Neck thru, had EMGs put into it at some point, and just a quality instrument all around. There was a used RGT without the flamed maple top and EMGs at my local guitar center awhile ago that was selling for $300. I tried it out and can honestly say that it was a steal at that price. I probably could have talked the price down to $250 too if I were going to buy it, but I'd feel like a horrible person for being that cheap.
Adding this to my last post, check some of these out.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/search/default.aspx?internal=1&src=ibanez+RGT

Besides the Giger one, these are all in your price range. I'd recommend the RGT with the EMGs though. I've tried the guitar with the stock pickups and it sounded good, but lacked some definition. With EMGs the notes sounded crystal clear and rang out nicely and didn't break up at all. But the way these are priced, you really can't go wrong.
+1 to the used Gibson SG special.
You can also look for a Epi Tony Iomi model, really nice guitar.
A used Epiphone prophecy SGGX
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate