hi

i am having troubles recording stuff with audacity. i am using a crate electric guitar amp plugged into a kustom cabinet. i bought a regular studio microphone for like 20 dollars at the store and plugged it into my laptop with a 1/4 female to 1/8 male adapter. it records fine but there's a lot of fuzz in the background of the recording when i play it and it is really annoying does. does anyone know how to fix? i am getting pro-tools and m-audio soon but for now i'd like to use this. thanks

equipment:
schecter hellraiser c-1 FR special
crate guitar amp + kustom cabinet
a laptop
a $20 microphone
an adapter so i can plug the mic into the laptop
Last edited by about69ducks at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by about69ducks
i am getting pro-tools and m-audio soon but for now i'd like to use this.

Theres your solution. You can cause serious damage to your mic port by plugging ur mic in.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Theres your solution. You can cause serious damage to your mic port by plugging ur mic in.

how do you figure?
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Quote by lockwolf

ok thanks i will wait then
Pretty sure if you're just using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter it's not a studio mic. A studio mic would use an XLR cable. Any mic that uses a regular instrument cable is going to be far inferior. But yeah, there's your problem. You need a good interface and a good mic.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Bair
how do you figure?

Most mic inputs on laptops and prebuilt PCs are pretty poorly built. They can barely handle speaking, let alone a guitar signal. You crank that thing too hard, you'll blow that sucker
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp