Is the thumb and pointer finger supposed to stay absolutely still and let the wrist have all the motion? I've noticed that when I try to play faster alternate picking pieces my thumb and pointer finger end up moving and I think it's really slowing me down...

I think it's a problem because when I try to have 100% of the picking motion in the wrist I play really sloppy on even slower pieces.

If that's the case, is there anything else I can do other than playing super slow to fix this problem? It's been pretty persistent and I've been trying to fix it for about a week and a half now.

Thanks everybody.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
The most important is to keep your hands relaxed,, the teqniques are relative to one´s personal taste, a good pickin tecnic its important for articulation and speed
, generally i use some pickin from the wrist and sometimes from the forefinger and thumb it depends on the case and the sound you want to make.. example al di meola uses a very percusive tecnique when playin on acoustic using even from elbow and some weist... yngwie keeps the movement to a minium using more a movement from his fingers making sometimes some anchoring... For playing funk you must relax and no anchoring.... these are some examples... But the improtant in all of them is to be relaxed !!!
Quote by Freepower
The thumb and finger can move a bit, but you don't want them doing the majority of the work. You're probably holding the pick wrong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT23yafjAN4

I know I grip hold the pick like Paul Gilbert whenever I initially start playing but I think my grip ends up changing as I begin to play so you're probably right. I'll work on it today I guess.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa