Poll: Are you keen to put your tools to the test?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you keen to put your tools to the test?
Yes, let's keep the 100GBP limit. It's tradition.
31 79%
Yes, but with a different challenge. That was sooo 2009
3 8%
Yes, but without limitations. Fight the power!
3 8%
No, I already know that my builds are the best.
2 5%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I figured it was about time to start up another build challenge. Many (including myself) missed the 100GBP one a few years ago, so I thought it was about time we had another crack. Just trying to gather support at this stage, as well as establish some rules.

Do people want to stick to the 100GBP limit, or perhaps some higher or lower value, or introduce some other challenge to keep things interesting?

I'm looking for all input here, so post any suggestions!
Personally, being skint, I like the 100GBP limit.

And while I'm here... for those who need a conversion that's 155USD, 155AUD, 205NZD, 120EUR, 160CAN
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Oh man, thats really awesome, would this be throughout the whole of 2012 or till the end,
stickied, and keep us updated
It needs to have an end date (like 2 months) that needs to be enforced by the organiser or builds probably wont get finished.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Original Challenge
I was thinking get all materials by Jan 30th (you can make use of sales) and then have the guitar finished by the end of summer holidays?

Personally Jan 30th is no good for me as my spare cash is being sunk into hardware for the axe I'm building my wife for her 30th, so I'd be out of the running if that was the case, but I think just an overall start date/deadline would be good, maybe Jan 1st to 31st June (6 months).

my 2 cents
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Sounds like there's a bit of interest then. I agree that we do need to put a limit on it. Location is what really makes things difficult here I guess, with NZ currently in the middle of summer and the UK and USA freezing their respective bollocks off. I propose running it until April, so it's cooling off here while it's warming up everywhere else - should give everyone an even footing when it comes to finishing their guitars.

Another thought I had wrt location was component costs: if we do go for a price cap again, I think it should exclude shipping costs - it should equalise things a little more between countries. What do you guys think?
I'm up for this. And you are correct, it is bloody freezing out here. I tend to do my routing outside to cut down on the dust and mess in the workshop, COLD!
I don't have a workshop, shed or garage so I do all my work outside#

EDIT: excluding postage costs would be awesome
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Dec 18, 2011,
I like the way the challenge is now. And this year I might actually get to compete is I get this new job.
Definitely interested in competing! 100GBP limit sounds fun, keeping the shipping charges out also sounds like a good plan. The later the deadlines the better for me.
The £100 limit sounds good, I'm assuming we're allowed to go used (or possibly salvage?) on hardware and electrics?

Edit: Also, what about shit we've already got lying around?
Last edited by whoomit at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by whoomit
The £100 limit sounds good, I'm assuming we're allowed to go used (or possibly salvage?) on hardware and electrics?

Edit: Also, what about shit we've already got lying around?

good point, in fairness things you have lying around could be assigned an approximate used price that is deducted from the 100GBP limit. ?
Quote by Explorerbuilder
NO, no strats or teles! that would be so lame. they are easy to build and too common.

I presume you meant 'not just strats and teles', in which case I agree. There's no need to restrict the shape IMO, but if anyone wants to build a Fender then there should be nothing stopping them.

As for stuff you already have, being honest about value would probably be the best policy. If you have a mahogany plantation in your back yard then don't count the cost, but if you have it lying around from a previous purchase then I guess just work out how much it cost you at the time. I don't see an issue with second-hand equipment either, just work out an equivalent value as Gandalf suggested.

Seems like the 100GBP is coming up trumps, it looks like we may go with that at this stage. Keep the input coming, the more we get the better this competition will be!
I'm keen! The 100GBP limit is good exluding shipping I think. Having different categories however could be a challenge, im not sure we'll have enough people building to fill all the categories, and keeping us all on the same cost allowance keeps things consistant

Chur
Quote by Boysie8
Seems like the 100GBP is coming up trumps, it looks like we may go with that at this stage. Keep the input coming, the more we get the better this competition will be!

I think there seems to be a lot of interest in two general categories: those who want to stick with the classic 100GPB rules and those that want no restrictions and/or at least higher limits.

I would be interested in entering two contests, both the 100GBP and an over-all, no-limits best build you can muster, period. Reason being, entering the 100GPB isn't going to stretch our over-all talent as builders as much as it will test our it's our talents as poor resourceful bastards. That's fun unto itself, and I'm totally gunna enter if I can manage the deadlines, but I'd also like to get involved in an unlimited sort of no-holds-barred contest to see some great ideas come to life with no overarching imposed material limitations, if you take my meaning - nothing to stifle creativity in any way.

Obviously the creativity that would spawn from both of these kinds of contests would be totally different, but I'm interested in both.

Is anyone else interested in also running a no-limits build contest? I'd be happy to organize it in conjunction with the 100GPB one as a sister thread/project.
Quote by lumberjack
I think there seems to be a lot of interest in two general categories: those who want to stick with the classic 100GPB rules and those that want no restrictions and/or at least higher limits.

I would be interested in entering two contests, both the 100GBP and an over-all, no-limits best build you can muster, period. Reason being, entering the 100GPB isn't going to stretch our over-all talent as builders as much as it will test our it's our talents as poor resourceful bastards. That's fun unto itself, and I'm totally gunna enter if I can manage the deadlines, but I'd also like to get involved in an unlimited sort of no-holds-barred contest to see some great ideas come to life with no overarching imposed material limitations, if you take my meaning - nothing to stifle creativity in any way.

Obviously the creativity that would spawn from both of these kinds of contests would be totally different, but I'm interested in both.

Is anyone else interested in also running a no-limits build contest? I'd be happy to organize it in conjunction with the 100GPB one as a sister thread/project.

Lol... Id be interested!
so like how would I price out objects if I was given a large quantity of wood from my friend who tore down some buildings. i was also given some pickups that were taken out of a MIM tele for my build so like do I take a percent of standard market price for that or what?
If you're given it, or managed to scrounge it from a tip etc. then I'd say it counts as free. Two categories could also be a good plan, but as LBMk2 said, we probably don't want to split off too many categories due to the size of GB&C.

I'll also just add an extra constraint, to make the judging easier:
This competition will be for guitar and bass only.
If anyone feels really strongly about this then it can be changed, but I think at the moment we should keep things simple.

And another follow-on question: do we want to have guitars and bass in the same category? Keep in mind again, there aren't a whole lot of scratch builders on GB&C, so personally I'd prefer to lump them all in together. However, it could spark a bit of conflict (ie. a guitar losing to a bass, or vice versa) so we should probably work something out now.

Finally Lumberjack: if we do go for several categories (or even if we don't), then it could be good to have a couple of people organising it. It may be better to have a group running all of the threads though instead of several separate threads, just to keep things consistent. If anyone else would like to help out, then by all means let me know now - while the competition itself won't need much organisation, having a few mentors/luthiers that people can ask tech questions would be invaluable I'm sure.
Last edited by Boysie8 at Dec 18, 2011,
^bragging rights IMO but boysie8 i do some sick cabinet builds as a side job and actually just finished another home cab out of cherry i was given for free and from a speaker out of a broken amp that looks sick any way we could possible do cabinets?
Would buying tools and whatnot affect the 100GBP limit? Or is it just the cost of materials going into the instrument? Reason I ask this.. say you're routing out a pickup hole and the router motor burns up. There goes the majority of your limit if you can't replace it under warranty. Or maybe you need to pick up a specific tool that you don't have (like a good fretting/gent saw) but would kill a large part of the budget. This would also prevent a lot of people from jumping in this since it would be impossible to buy all the tools needed to build a guitar AND be able to afford materials.

Also, how would these be judged? I had two ideas for this:
1 - Set up a poll showcasing the instruments with rundown of features/materials/cost and a link to their respective build thread. Let the mass of UG vote for their choice

OR

2 - Select a panel of UG regulars/moderators to vote on each instrument, judging by category. Say categories like resourcefulness, overall fit (no large gaps or giant chunks missing, for example), finish, creativity, etc
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I think the two categories are a great idea. As for having a group to run things I'm happy to help out if you want me, I'm here most days (all day, I'm sad like that).

Cmc: the issue with introducing non-instruments into it is you run into diifficulties with the spend limit working better for one than the other.
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Jason: I'm working on that. I thought I'd approach some guitar/luthiery places and ask for contributions, but it'd be nice to offer some advertising in return as an incentive. This is a direct breach of UG law (punishable by death), so I need to run it past the mods first.

cmc: this is the real issue. Cab builds are every bit as complex and require just as much skill. It is just really difficult to judge guitars against cabs. If we get enough people interested then we could definitely make a separate category. Your wording there also made me think a clarification may be needed (whether you meant it this way or not):

Any builds submitted must be started after the start of the competition.
Most competitions like this require a photo of the raw materials with a hand-written sheet of paper giving the date. Everyone happy to run it this way?

Flux'D: you pretty much read my mind with option 1. I think a public vote would be the way to do it, and after the closing date I'll put together a thread with a photo of each (complete) entry, with a brief description as written by the builder (probably want some kind of format here) and a link to their build thread. Different categories would also be a great idea, but I don't want to spam GB&C with 50 different polls so we'll have to figure out a way to rank them. A panel may be the best way here, as you suggested.

Finally, GABarrie: don't worry, you're not the only one. It'd be great to have you onboard.
Cool, and as an added bonus, call me Gordon
Ibanez WD7 Wah
ok too many points to quote, so heres how I see it;

1. cmc was given some wood and hardware; approximate the cost to buy these used, and take it from you're limit, we aren't playing who can get guitar gear for the lowest price.

2. 100 150 200GPB limit, this point need the most hashing out, atm I'm not sure if (100GPB) $200NZD is enough to complete a quality gat; I'm not about building a beaut instrument and putting cheap chinese hardware onto it.

3. Buying Tools; I would consider this an investment in you're future, therefore not applicable to the build cost

4. Poll vs panel of Mod judges: IMO a poll lends more to the asthetics of the build rather than other points, obviously a poll will end in a result of the prettiest guitar/bass winning. . . I dunno if this will lend well to the best build for under 100gdp, which is the main point?

opinions etc follow
Yep, 100gbp is 600 pesos. That is the price of a mahogany body blank and a maple neck.

That is the price of a single wilkinson trem. Or two sets of chinese strat pickups. Understand? being a third world country and everything is imported. I cant really make a 100gbp, specially with the economy of the country closing the imports everything imported is raising. So its almost impossible for moi to make 100gbp. 150gbp is more plausible or 200gbp. That is why I suggested categories! Or I could simply put the prices as they are in the US and discount all of the taxes and duties.
it's the cost of a mahogany blank and a maple neck in this country too, that's the challenge
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Do tools count in this? I will most likely need to invest in some to do fretwork - but that will be a long term purchase rather than materials purchase.

If this is allowable, I'm in.

Also, I dont finish school until April, so I'm hoping the deadline for submission isnt like.. a month into the new year.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by GABarrie
it's the cost of a mahogany blank and a maple neck in this country too, that's the challenge

+1

I think the fun of the limit is getting wood from your grandpa's barn or hacking up a table you bought at an antique store etc. to save money and building something Brain May style. This same comment goes out to divinorum69; the whole point of the limit is to scrounge up a decent guitar under 100, not to build a masterpiece. That's why I want two different competitions, and anyone can enter both, or just one.

Too many categories and we'll have 1-3 builds in each, or less, which is no fun: I'm sticking with my original proposal of a no limits competition and a 100gbp. I think it will lend itself to a more comradarie-inducing competition to have more people involved in both categories.

Quote by GandalfWh1te
I'm not about building a beaut instrument and putting cheap chinese hardware onto it.

Just build your instrument with cheap stuff, enter it, win the contest, and then put nice hardware/pickups in afterwards it if it's a real keeper. That's my plan
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by lumberjack
The whole point of the limit is to scrounge up a decent guitar under 100, not to build a masterpiece

Definitely. The aim here is not to build the best guitar, but the best guitar that money allows.

Matt: I think tools will be excluded from the build cost. It wouldn't be fair to the new builders if they had to compete with builders who already had a fully kitted-out machine shop.

And Divinorum: I know mahogany is expensive (I'd say it's just as bad for us in NZ as it is for you). This is where you'll most likely have to improvise; chop up an old benchtop or glue up a crate. I doubt many people have access to exotic woods for a build like this.
I agree with lumberjack's idea about a 100gbp and an unlimited competition

edit: boysie/lumberjack, did you get my PM?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
I think the £100 limit, and the no limit categories sounds like a great idea.
Scavenging wood sounds like good fun too
Page 1 of 2