Page 1 of 2
Not having an open mind is akin to murder: it kills expansion, relations, and lives, which it has taken in the past and will undoubtedly continue in a world of prejudice.

I felt like making a quote about my most revered virtue

Questions, comments, criticisms?
And yes, I do realize that this might be the wrong/thread/site/this whole thread is stupid, but then again, you probably wouldn't get the saying I just made if you said that anyway.

It's become clear that whoever posted the wiki link to mondegreen but deleted it was the smartest of all, this whole fucking thread has been about our inability to create a definition for open mindedness!
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Last edited by jimivancobain at Dec 18, 2011,
There's a big difference between being open-minded and not grounded with reality. Sometimes being open-minded simply for the sake of being open-minded can be, actually, closed-minded.
Please explain in greater detail or simpler wording...clearly I have already been outsmarted by the first reply lmao
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Metal is the bestest type of music.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
We're going to need a concrete definition of open minded. I've heard it used about seven different ways here.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I use it in the sense of accepting other peoples opinions and respecting their choices while taking criticism and general bullshit in stride
Quote by smb
"Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination."--Andre Tchelistcheff
Quote by necrosis1193
We're going to need a concrete definition of open minded. I've heard it used about seven different ways here.

I believe everything that everyone tells me ever.
Quote by necrosis1193

If we're talking about art, I think seeing art on its own terms rather than your own. Ie working out what the artist was trying to achieve and appreciating that, rather than looking for something specific and rejecting it if you don't find it.

James Gleeson had a quote about that but I can't remember it and no-one has written it down according to Google.
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by jimivancobain
Please explain in greater detail or simpler wording...clearly I have already been outsmarted by the first reply lmao

People will sometimes hold opinions and ideas contrary to the status quo simply for the sake of being antagonistic. They see it as being open-minded, when sometimes it's just silly and pointless. This is most-oft observed in broke artists, musicians, 99% of Pit monkeys, and college hipsters who see themselves as intellectual messiahs because they're brave enough to bite the hand that feeds them.

Don't be one of these people.
Last edited by stndrdprcdre at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by stndrdprcdre
People will sometimes hold opinions and ideas contrary to the status quo simply for the sake of being antagonistic. They see it as being open-minded, when sometimes it's just silly and pointless. This is most-oft observed in broke artists, musicians, 99% of Pit monkeys, and college hipsters who see themselves as intellectual messiahs because they're brave enough to bite the hand that feeds them.

Yes, and this is why I refuse to define myself as open-minded. Now, if we're talking about not judging things (at face value or otherwise), then that's different. I prefer to be non-judgmental over being "open-minded". However, I also temper such a quality with common sense.

For instance, it's non-judgmental to say, "Well, alternative fuel may be good, and if it good, I would probably use it". It's common sense to say, "Right now, there's no alternative fuel that is as economically viable as gasoline". I may want alternative fuel (because a cleaner earth is always good). However, the simple fact is that, when I fill my car with E85-ethanol, I notice that gas mileage display shows a decrease compared to regular unleaded.
Quote by stndrdprcdre

No, what's really going on is people have different opinions to you and instead of being open minded you call these people 'college hipsters' etc.
Only a fool writes off anything beyond his ability to comprehend as impossible. Only a fool believes unconditionally that anything is possible.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Zoot Allures
No, what's really going on is people have different opinions to you and instead of being open minded you call these people 'college hipsters' etc.
And might I point out that your judgment in this matter makes you the opposite of open-minded. But hey...way to feel insulted, instead of actually looking at the whole statement. Consider the sum of the parts, not the parts themselves.
"Duuude u gotta get hiiiiigh with meeee it'll like totally open yr miiiiiind, maaaaaaan." - some fag who idolizes Jim Morrison
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And might I point out that your judgment in this matter makes you the opposite of open-minded. But hey...way to feel insulted, instead of actually looking at the whole statement. Consider the sum of the parts, not the parts themselves.

Not necessarily.

Being open minded means being attuned to and aware of the possibilities stemming from whatever topic or situation is at hand, and understanding that they exist, even if they contradict what you believe. While open-mindedness is too often confused with the stance of agreeing with everything all the time, that's not really what it means. At all.

Maybe he was aware of what you're saying, and simply disagrees with it.

As far as 'not having an open mind being akin to murder,' the opposite could be true. Being so open minded that you consistently compromise your ideals, beliefs, and self, could also be construed as murder.

Or suicide.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

He's calling people 'college hipsters', a statement that doesn't really make much sense at the best of times, and going by all his other posts, i'm right. If you have an opinion like his, then at what point do you draw the line? Apparently having a contrary opinion to the established social norm as defined by busy bodies would put the person in the 'college hipster' bracket.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by jimivancobain
Not having an open mind is akin to murder: it kills expansion, relations, and lives, which it has taken in the past and will undoubtedly continue in a world of prejudice.

I felt like making a quote about my most revered virtue

Questions, comments, criticisms?
And yes, I do realize that this might be the wrong/thread/site/this whole thread is stupid, but then again, you probably wouldn't get the saying I just made if you said that anyway.
I'm still not having gay sex.
Quote by stndrdprcdre

Well then I would define mine as being individualist open mindedness then. I keep my own opinions and will defend them, but I'm not going to ignore someone elses opinion and I'll at least mull over the validity and truth in it. It really stems from my hatred of religious bigotry which could best be explained by this hs Olcott quote:

"we are constantly and painfully reminded that the prejudice of inimical critics, on the one hand, and the furious bigotry of devotees, on the other, blind men to fact and probability, and lead to gross I justice"

That being said, I was cracking up at the guys who said "metal music is the bestest" and "I'm still not having gay sex!" I wouldve quoted them but this iPad makes it difficult
Quote by smb
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I'd honestly say that everything that has been posted thus far is quite intelligent - especially what stratoblaster has said, and everything not meant to be intelligent has been funny, given that I read some with a large helping of sarcasm

Jimedit: I would also agree with whalepuddings statement about art, makes sense to me
Quote by smb
Last edited by jimivancobain at Dec 18, 2011,
if you are always open minded you are closing your mind to being close minded
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Eggmond
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Eggmond

No, you are opening your mind from being closed. That's like saying by opening a door you are closing it to being closed, it doesn't make any sense when you say that.
having thought about this a little in my own time, I agree with most of what's been said here. I do find it funny that it's already degraded into semantics, but I digress.

The key to "being open minded" is really about making an attempt to understand something you immediately can't. The next and very important step is whether you accept that as part of what you believe or your outlook on life. I may understand why a white supremacist has his beliefs, but I don't find them acceptable.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No, you are opening your mind from being closed. That's like saying by opening a door you are closing it to being closed, it doesn't make any sense when you say that.

open your mind and you will understand
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Being critical and not dogmatic is more important. Sometimes being told to have an open mind is like being told 'think for yourself'. Everyone thinks for themselves, just not necessarily like you.
When someone says you should be open minded they basically mean you have to agree with them.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Zoot Allures

Stereotypes don't just fall out of the sky. The exist because there was enough of a trend to warrant labeling a certain group. And yes, as a whole, college students are aloof, self-righteous piss ants who are begging for an excuse to resist the system they are training to work for.
Quote by mystical_1

Well, of course he is. He's a man and she's a woman.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, of course he is. He's a man and she's a woman.

The worst and most intolerable sins of hashing out shit sexism jokes like that is that they require no wit, are boring as fuck and never original.
Quote by Craigo
The worst and most intolerable sins of hashing out shit sexism jokes like that is that they require no wit, are boring as fuck and never original.

Yes.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 2