I was just wondering if you guys had any tips or advice to raising a guitar neck/headstock a little higher in the air and still being able to play well sort of like this guy

I'm not doing this so much for looks as my arms a bit stiff after suffering a skateboarding accident a few years ago still and it's hard to hit the E string unless I have the guitar tilted up a lot but it feels awkward to play.
Sit with your guitar's rear resting on the inside of your left leg instead of the side resting on your right leg. That'll help you get used to playing it held in that way, which is actually pretty common amongst classical guitarists.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Sit with your guitar's rear resting on the inside of your left leg instead of the side resting on your right leg. That'll help you get used to playing it held in that way, which is actually pretty common amongst classical guitarists.

What about for standing up? I think it'd be impossible to have the side and back of the guitar on either legs without resting a foot ontop of something.

This guy looks like he's just standing and doing it.

Don't worry about how to hold the neck in a more upright position, the only reason those guys do that is because they have their guitar too low down in order to look cool.

Shorten your strap so the guitar isn't so low down and you won't have a problem.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Don't worry about how to hold the neck in a more upright position, the only reason those guys do that is because they have their guitar too low down in order to look cool.

Shorten your strap so the guitar isn't so low down and you won't have a problem.

I already play with the guitar pretty high, I was asking for advice on how to play it lower and not feel all awkward.

Also I'm doing it because:

Quote by zomgguitarz1234

I'm not doing this so much for looks as my arms a bit stiff after suffering a skateboarding accident a few years ago still and it's hard to hit the E string unless I have the guitar tilted up a lot but it feels awkward to play.

It feels a lot easier playing it like they do it's just awkward to pick because it's so different, so I was wondering if there where any tricks (like resting the rear on your leg) so that it didn't feel so weird.
Quote by GaryBillington

+1 wear the guitar higher.

To me they look like retards as soon as i have a look at their wrists.
I don't really care much about any "play it this way because this is the proper way" elitism I just want to know if there are any tricks to playing it lower like they do.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I don't really care much about any "play it this way because this is the proper way" elitism I just want to know if there are any tricks to playing it lower like they do.

Ok the trick is you adjust the guitar strap so that the is guitar really low, preferably below your penis just about knee height, so that you impress the chicks and afeminate teenagers.

Then while you fret you bend your wrist in an uncomforable position, if your fingers wont reach all the frets comfortably, you add some tension by using the left hand to hold the guitar tilted up, just keep bending your wrist and adding tension, dont be a fag.

If you feel any pain disregard it, **** elitism, **** tendons, **** technique, **** autority! i want to look cool like Slash, Fergie and Avril Lavigne! and i love my CTS!
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
Ok the trick is you set the guitar really low.

Then you bend your wrist in an uncomforable position, if your fingers wont reach all the frets comfortably, you add some tension by using the left hand to hold the guitar tilted up, just keep bending your wrist and adding tension, dont be a fag.

If you feel any pain disregard it, **** elitism, **** tendons, **** technique, **** autority! i want to look cool like avril lavigne!!

You obviously didn't read my reason for holding it so low which I already had to requote for the last guy:

Quote by zomgguitarz1234

So it's actually a lot more comfortable on my fretting wrist it's just it hurts my shoulder and picking is awkward so I'm asking if there are any tricks to holding it so low (such as resting the bottom on the inside of your leg). I'm not really impressed by how you try to force me out of it by giving me a hard time about it because some people do it for looks.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
You obviously didn't read my reason for holding it so low which I already had to requote for the last guy:

So it's actually a lot more comfortable on my fretting wrist it's just it hurts my shoulder and picking is awkward so I'm asking if there are any tricks to holding it so low (such as wresting the bottom on the inside of your leg). I'm not really impressed by how you try to force me out of it through this elitist crap.

hhh ok ok my bad, so it is stricktly a picking problem ?

There is no trick to it really you just do it as i said above.

We need pics to know how you are holding it, because if the pain doesnt come from bad technique/tension/posture then it probably comes from your injury and you shouldn´t be playing.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
hhh ok ok my bad, so it is stricktly a picking problem ?

There is no trick to it really you just do it as i said above.

We need pics to know how you are holding it, because if the pain doesnt come from bad technique/tension/posture then it probably comes from your injury and you shouldn´t be playing.

The injury healed a while ago it's just that it's probably going to be this stiff for a very long time, but it still has some difficulty turning. It never really came up before because I played while sitting down and it was easy to adjust how tilted up it was, but standing up I can't position it right.
Other than the leg up so you can tilt the guitar more easily, the only thing I would do is to slide the strap (not adjust it, just slide it) toward your picking hand side so that guitar tilts downward a little bit.
Surely by holding it low & tilting it up all you're doing is attempting to get the neck into the same position as it would be if you're holding it higher up? If you didn't have a problem when you were playing sitting down, you should set your strap so it's in the same position as that when you're standing up.

Do you do any stretching before you play? (Similar to the stretching you'd do before working out in the gym). Regardless of how you hold your guitar, that would probably help loosen you up a bit before you play - and if you're suffering from stiffness regularly because of your injury, it's probably worth getting into a routine where you do some stretching on a regular basis anyway to help rebuild the movement you lost due to the injury.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Surely by holding it low & tilting it up all you're doing is attempting to get the neck into the same position as it would be if you're holding it higher up? If you didn't have a problem when you were playing sitting down, you should set your strap so it's in the same position as that when you're standing up.

Do you do any stretching before you play? (Similar to the stretching you'd do before working out in the gym). Regardless of how you hold your guitar, that would probably help loosen you up a bit before you play - and if you're suffering from stiffness regularly because of your injury, it's probably worth getting into a routine where you do some stretching on a regular basis anyway to help rebuild the movement you lost due to the injury.

Yeah, although I usually have my guitar on a knee that is slightly perched up and the bottom part of it goes around my leg (the warlock bottom thing) which makes it obnoxiously high . I think a lot of the awkwardness is coming from me not being use to playing and standing up, and my picking hand is positioned a little differently.

Stretches sound like a good idea.

I think the stiffness is permanent. It healed years ago. You get some of your movement back but there's a certain point where it stops coming back, if it wasn't I wouldn't be trying to model my whole playing style around it. I can turn my arm most of the way but even when I force it as hard as I can it can't go perfectly flat facing upwards. And even when I'm not trying to turn it as much as possible it still kind of feels sore which is why I'm trying to get a style that curves the guitar up more.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Dec 18, 2011,
Sounds like it must have been a pretty major injury if you're still experiencing the aftermath of it years later.

Are you a member of a gym? If not, join one. They'll be able to show you how to stretch properly and will help you develop an exercise regime which could help improve things, doing something like yoga may help? So long as you tell them the problem before getting started they should be able to get you on the right track.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud