Hey all.

I read in my book something called bass notation.
It's still kind of vague to me but where is it used in modern music?
Are you talking about figured bass notation? I've never heard just "bass notation".

If that's what you're referring to, it's used pretty much nowhere nowadays.
Quote by Keth
Yeah, the only places I can think of where you could encounter figured bass is in Baroque and Classical sheet music.

That's what the book said too :p
I thought maybe some musicians might still think it's usefull.
I'd also use it if I was writing out a chord chart for a keyboard player. Rather than notate every single note, the player will still have a sense of how to voice the chords, which can be pretty important in achieving the intended result.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
unless you want to start doing harmonic analysis of classical works, and even then you can get away without it.

Not if you want to do a formal analysis, or if you want to pass a formal theory exam.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris

Not if you want to do a formal analysis, or if you want to pass a formal theory exam.

CT

I don't think either of those things are a reality for the TS at this point. Practically speaking, he doesn't really have to worry about it, there's probably other things he should be looking at, rather than worrying about figured bass.

I'm not denying it's a good skill to have though. It is very useful to do quick analysis.
Unless your a continuo player in a baroque/early classical orchestra it won't be much use to you, unless you intend on taking grades 6-8 theory exams.

Figured bass is handy for showing suspensions and passing notes though.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't think either of those things are a reality for the TS at this point. Practically speaking, he doesn't really have to worry about it, there's probably other things he should be looking at, rather than worrying about figured bass.

True enough.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.