Page 1 of 2
Why? What's there to like? Be specific. I'm in a pisses off mood and don't like music. It sounds like shit to me. There's nothing to like about it. It's constructed sound waves, there's no real meaning or use for it. Just whatever you give it.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~minsky/papers/MusicMindMeaning.html
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Why and how?
I dont know, Music has always had a very strong effect on me. When i was about 3 years old my dad told me that he played some Tom Waits for me and it made me cry. I have always enjoyed about music.
I can never find a reason to like music. Lyrics don't do anything for me. I don't understand the point in lyrics. Why sing a song? Why write down words to sing? Why bother recording your ideas? Why bother playing? To prove to others you are skilled or creative? To prove to yourself? I can't enjoy anything right now. Nothing makes sense to me anymore
Music is the language of deep vaginal thrusting.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
This thread is already reading like a picture story book

"i like it for the bass!" said the MC
"i like it for the lyrics!" said the folk rock singer

You're right about it being meaningless outside of the meaning you apply to it. You're just in a shitty mood so it'll probably pass and if it doesn't stop listening to music and do something else
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I can never find a reason to like music. Lyrics don't do anything for me. I don't understand the point in lyrics. Why sing a song? Why write down words to sing? Why bother recording your ideas? Why bother playing? To prove to others you are skilled or creative? To prove to yourself? I can't enjoy anything right now. Nothing makes sense to me anymore

Dude chill out. It'll pass. I've had those moods before.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I like music cos it's badass.

Like, good rhythms, melodies put together well just sound good.

What you're saying is along the lines of "Why have a favourite food? It's just nourishment, there's no real nourishment in having good flavour."
because we're supposed to like it. It's literally a drug. We experience a "high" even listening to songs we say are crap.

Part of music theory is that the intervals from one note to another have a similar effect from person to person, or at the very least an effect. That's why one key sounds "happy" and another can sound "sad" or "angry". It's all in how you hear it, and I like hearing all of it so I like music.
it's cheaper than therapy
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Music is essentially a sign of intellect, a key factor in Darwinian evolution. That's why it's around, but it's effectively a drug to the ear.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Are you in a mood where you've forgotten how to enjoy music, but because you're a musician you feel the need to force yourself to?

Stop that. Do something else and wait a bit.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I like music cos it's badass.

Like, good rhythms, melodies put together well just sound good.

What you're saying is along the lines of "Why have a favourite food? It's just nourishment, there's no real nourishment in having good flavour."

Yes kinda. That's how I view food. I don't enjoy it. I eat it to make my stomach stop making funny noises and odd pains.
Music is sounds. Just like smells and tastes and visualls, its an arranged sense. I understand I have thought I have liked music, but I don't feel like I enjoy music anymore
I think drugs was a bad idea. Don't do drugs people it destroys your concept of reality and ruins what used to be happy and wonderful and replaces it with a fake sense of enjoyment.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
It's constructed sound waves, there's no real meaning or use for it. Just whatever you give it.

Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
I used to enjoy that joke, but then I took an arrow to the knee

I used to enjoy super soakers....

Edit: I forgot how to have fun. I should watch more spongebob. Iv got my spongebob pjs on.
No, drugs are bad mkay.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 18, 2011,
I'm sorry but I've seen no evidence of you talking here that doesn't make you sound like a pompous judgmental douche.

"Lyrics don't do anything for me. I don't understand the point in lyrics. Why sing a song? Why write down words to sing? Why bother recording your ideas? Why bother playing? To prove to others you are skilled or creative? To prove to yourself? "

Hopefully you will read all this back in a year or two and cringe..
Quote by Gummy132
I'm sorry but I've seen no evidence of you talking here that doesn't make you sound like a pompous judgmental douche.

"Lyrics don't do anything for me. I don't understand the point in lyrics. Why sing a song? Why write down words to sing? Why bother recording your ideas? Why bother playing? To prove to others you are skilled or creative? To prove to yourself? "

Hopefully you will read all this back in a year or two and cringe..

Explain yourself. I'm obviously depressed and confused, yet you seem to feel the need to act like a jerk to prove your point.
I think Frank Zappa said it best;

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.

or there's this...

Bach gave us God's Word.
Mozart gave us God's laughter.
Beethoven gave us God's fire.
God gave us Music that we might pray without words.

I realize that last one is probably going to be wasted on the majority of the pagans, that dwell inside the pit, but it rings true for me.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Why? What's there to like? Be specific. I'm in a pisses off mood and don't like music. It sounds like shit to me. There's nothing to like about it. It's constructed sound waves, there's no real meaning or use for it. Just whatever you give it.

Nietzsche, who viewed life itself and all facets of it as intrinsically meaningless and systematically constructed said that Life without music would be a mistake.

Why? Because, IMO, there is an ethereal connection that humans have with certain frequencies, certain rhythm patterns. It makes us remember civilizations and dispositions past in a wholly sub-conscious way. It courts our emotions without having to rely on logic or reason. It is one of our few conduits to break the veil of maya.

Your repulse towards music is in itself entrenched in musicality as it represents moments of dissonance, atonality...but the frequencies never stop.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Last edited by shattamakar at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by JDizzle787
has everyone ITT ignored the fact that unless you consciously attempt to avoid it, humans are evolutionarily hardwired to enjoy something about music?

You could say that, or that the human mind is in-tune with the soul and your thoughts are physically existent. Thus how you feel reacting with how the music sounds determines your outcome.

If you're hellbent on feeling shitty then you will in essence feel shitty. Clear your mind and find what's weighing you down. Your problem doesn't seem to be music, come back with a clear head and try looking at things with a brighter hue.
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
It causes an emotional reaction which is stronger than almost any other emotional reaction I have had, and I love hearing the way different genres develop through time, and fuse together.

It's fascinating.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Looks at this guy, maybes we should gets him somes ladies tampons.
(Invalid img)
Music, in writing and listening, is a way to express all the emotions that are held inside. It can cause extreme joy, sorrow, or just brighten a bad day. Music is the reason some are here today.

Just got told, son.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Because it helps me escape from the misery of life, like other drugs.
I enjoy music because it intensifies all emotions that I have. Anger, sadness, happiness, euphoria. Without music I'd feel pretty dead inside.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Why the heck not.
Page 1 of 2