Hey, UG.

I have to choose between a multieffect or a single pedal.
I have a limited budget, so I was thinking of Boss ME-25.

I've recently purchased a new guitar and noticed that my previous multieffect - Zoom G1XN was decreasing the sound quality of the new guitar with custom humbuckers (F3), which was previously increased on my old Stagg strat. Anyway, I've read the articles, comments and reviews and they are kind of mixed. Some say that the sound is great, some say it sucks, I've seen the videos and heard the sound and I'm not really sure what to think.

I like the Boss ME-25, because it has the things I like - mainly Reverb, delay, the looper and USB port for recording on my computer. Should I go for it and buy it or rather get a Reverb/delay effect/pedal now and a looper later on? If so, what would you recommend?

I play mainly rock, then blues, a little bit of metal and anything else really.

Thanks alot.
I prefer single pedals, I hate multi effects pedals for the fact that usually if you try to cram a bunch of stuff into one thing the quality of those effects isn't going to be that great. Now not to say that just because it's a pedal dedicated to a certain thing doesn't mean it's going to be better because we all know that there are terrible pedals out there. So if I were you I'd just buy a reverd/delay pedal now and then the looper later on.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
If you have never used FX before, a multi FX is a good start. you'll get lots of options to try you probably would never think of. Yes most single pedals sound better but you can get nice pedals after you figure out exactly what your gonna need/use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the ME-50 and it does everything I need.

If you're after a perfect sound, you need to get single pedals. If you want a variety, get a multi effects pedal.

This thread has been done 1,000s of times, everybody has their own opinion so you'll get loads of conflicting advice and end up deciding for yourself anyway.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the boss me-25 doesnt have a looper. most mfx units have reverb, delay and loopers. the boss me-25 has a fizzy and muddy sounding distortion. id recommend a Zoom G3, its the same price as a Boss ME-25 but a million times better and compares to line 6 pod hd pedals. its a huge improvement over the old zoom mfx pedals and its great. what amp do you have?
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you have never used FX before, a multi FX is a good start. you'll get lots of options to try you probably would never think of. Yes most single pedals sound better but you can get nice pedals after you figure out exactly what your gonna need/use.

I already had the Zoom G1XN, but it was decreasing the sound quality of my new guitar alot, so I sold it.

Quote by GaryBillington
I have the ME-50 and it does everything I need.

If you're after a perfect sound, you need to get single pedals. If you want a variety, get a multi effects pedal.

This thread has been done 1,000s of times, everybody has their own opinion so you'll get loads of conflicting advice and end up deciding for yourself anyway.

I see. Do you know if it's possible to bypass the distortion or tone change in the Boss ME-25? Since I have a very nice tone now, I'd like to use it just for the effects like delay, reverb, etc.

If not, is there any multieffect around the same price that I could use only for the effects as delay or reverb without changing the tone?

Quote by itamar100
the boss me-25 doesnt have a looper. most mfx units have reverb, delay and loopers. the boss me-25 has a fizzy and muddy sounding distortion. id recommend a Zoom G3, its the same price as a Boss ME-25 but a million times better and compares to line 6 pod hd pedals. its a huge improvement over the old zoom mfx pedals and its great. what amp do you have?

It has a looper, actually. I have Cort MX30R.
I'll check the G3 out, thanks.
Last edited by Akaforty at Dec 18, 2011,
If you don't want to use the distortion you just don't turn it on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you don't want to use the distortion you just don't turn it on.

Well, I know that this is not possible in many multieffects, including the one I had before - Zoom G1XN, you had to have a style changed to use it.
The Zoom is patches isn't it? You just program the patch with the distortion turned off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It has a looper, actually. I have Cort MX30R.
I'll check the G3 out, thanks.

oh yeah, my mistake. the me-50 doesnt have a looper/ but the zoom g3 has a bulit in drum machine and a 40 sec looper (both come in very helpful).

BTW on both of the MFX pedals you can switch of the distortion but id definately reccomend the zoom over the boss anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
The Zoom is patches isn't it? You just program the patch with the distortion turned off.

the new zoom has patches and singular pedals on/off footswitches.
The G1XN I mean. Isn't it done by programming patches? If so why couldn't you program a patch without distortion? I'm not following you.

Just looked it up. Yep, 40 user programmable patches.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard

You could turn off the distortion, but there was a permanent tone change which ruined the sound even if you played around with it, the quality was decreased. Even if you created a completely new patch and didn't add anything.
Ah, so it's a tone sucker, you mean?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Ah, so it's a tone sucker, you mean?

Well, I'm not entirely sure as I've never heard that expression, but I guess so
I already had the Zoom G1XN, but it was decreasing the sound quality of my new guitar alot, so I sold it.

I see. Do you know if it's possible to bypass the distortion or tone change in the Boss ME-25? Since I have a very nice tone now, I'd like to use it just for the effects like delay, reverb, etc.

If not, is there any multieffect around the same price that I could use only for the effects as delay or reverb without changing the tone?

1. it is possible to bypass the distortion but only by changing patches, not singularly.
2. on most mfx pedals you can choose what effects to use, you dont need distortion. on the boss me-50/70, zoom g3 and most others.
if you only want a looper and reverb/delay id get the electro harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai. its an awesome pedal but an mfx pedal may allow you to be more creative.
Quote by Akaforty
Well, I'm not entirely sure as I've never heard that expression, but I guess so

I'm currently battling with a reverb design that's sucking tone. A tone sucker just means that it robs the direct signal of some of its frequencies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Akaforty
Do you know if it's possible to bypass the distortion or tone change in the Boss ME-25? Since I have a very nice tone now, I'd like to use it just for the effects like delay, reverb, etc.

Assuming it works the same as the ME-50, then you simply don't turn it on. Unlike most other multi fx units which focus on patches, I chose the Boss because it doesn't. Its more like having 3 separate individual effects, so you could use it for everything else and then use your amp for the distortion.

I never use the distortion in my ME-50, it's just there for when I want something else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 18, 2011,
The ME-25 has a 38 sec looper. The coolest thing about the ME-25 is the freeze effect. I like that effect so much I paired the ME-25 with a Zoom G3 to make a pedalboard.

Jelly Jam in my link below uses both. Sneaky in the link uses the ME-25 alone. I think the G3 is a better choice. I also think the distortions on the ME-25 are better than many of the Boss units, which are older.
Quote by fly135
The ME-25 has a 38 sec looper. The coolest thing about the ME-25 is the freeze effect. I like that effect so much I paired the ME-25 with a Zoom G3 to make a pedalboard.

Jelly Jam in my link below uses both. Sneaky in the link uses the ME-25 alone. I think the G3 is a better choice. I also think the distortions on the ME-25 are better than many of the Boss units, which are older.

Thanks, the sound seems pretty decent. The G3 looks better, but it also costs 80 dollars more.
Quote by Akaforty
Thanks, the sound seems pretty decent. The G3 looks better, but it also costs 80 dollars more.

save, patience is the key.