I was reading to play fast like brands such as job for a cowboy, that you need thicker strings then the standard ones that come on a guitar...and that your action and stuff needs to be set...if its not it will sound bad becuase your strings will move and such if your using the wrong strings.....so i need sugggestions whats the best thickness of strings someone told me 52...then i heard everyone sets their action diff spec if they have a heavy picking hand how does a guitar shopknow what u have?
String gauges are a personal preference. Though you will obviously need thicker gauges then .9-46 for playing songs by bands like job for a cowboy.

Playing fast is not a result of someones string gauge and action either. You need to find a happy medium for yourself and then develop your technique. adjusting your string height and string gauge isn't going to automatically make you faster.

You need to clarify your last question. I don't understand what you're asking. A shop will know what string gauge you have when you tell them if that's what you're getting at.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Try playing a lot of legato licks. There are tones of examples out there for practice, just google them. Then try to play the lick one time legato and then alternate picked. Try to match the speed the same one both. Legato tends to usually be faster at first.
In the short run, thickier strings will probably slow you down.

Work on speed with your current strings. And then the next time you change, move up a gauge. See how you like it. Does it make you fast licks sound better or worse? Do you like how it feels.

If you like the change, then, next time you change strings, try going up another gauge.

String gauge is one of those things beginner and intermediate guitarists spend way too much time thinking about. Do not expect changing your string gauge to make an immediately noticeable different in your technique or your tone. In the short run, the only thing you'll probably notice is that your hands get tired a lot faster and your fingertips get chewed up more.

If you don't sound clean when you're playing fast, the problem is almost certainly you, not your strings. The kind of differences that professionals are talking about in this sort of situation are pretty close to irrelevant for most intermediate amateurs.

Going to really heavy strings is more likely to HURT your development by making you practice less (because it tires you out faster) rather than help you with some tiny improvement in the interaction of action and string stretch.
Quote by HotspurJr
In the short run, thicker strings will probably slow you down.

Whatever you're basing this on you're wrong; bassists make do with massive strings and there are some incredibly fast players.

TS: Shops don't know what you like unless you tell them and if you don't know what you like the setup they do will almost certainly do the job just fine. You'll get to know what you like with experience and skill when you find out what about a given guitar doesn't work for you.

The strings they use have nothing to do with how fast they play, it's because they tune lower than standard tuning, if you try and tune a 46 gauge string to a low B it will be almost unusably floppy, the larger strings compensate for the usual loss in tension by needing more tension to produce the same note.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.