Hi There -

I just installed new pickups and pots in one of my guitars. This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this. I have everything put back together, other that the strings. Is there a way to check that I'll have output without putting the strings on? I know that may sound stupid, but I'm trying to eliminate putting them on and finding out that I didn't do a good job soldering or something... And of course removing the strings and tearing everything back apart.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank You...
Play music into the pickup, haha
Last edited by switch625DL at Dec 18, 2011,
You should just be able to plug your guitar in and tap the pickups with something metal. Pups are just magnets so anything metallic should make some kind of noise.

Tap the polepieces with something metal, you'll hear a sound coming from your amp.
I usually use the end of a screwdriver, or a coin. Make sure you've got the pickup selected with your switch when you do it though!
Usually if you play music from a small speaker or headphones into the pickups you should hear it coming out through the amp. The speakers have to pretty close the the pickups though. I'd recommend this instead of a screwdriver or coin you can get a better idea if the pots are working as you intended them to (as opposed to just knowing if signal is getting through or not).
On my 68' melody maker I could just YELL into the pickups and hear a heavily distorted version of my voice :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by salgala2000
Usually if you play music from a small speaker or headphones into the pickups you should hear it coming out through the amp. The speakers have to pretty close the the pickups though. I'd recommend this instead of a screwdriver or coin you can get a better idea if the pots are working as you intended them to (as opposed to just knowing if signal is getting through or not).

Huh, never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip
I just crank the pickups up pretty high on the guitar I'm working on, then hold another guitar above it and strum the strings. This way I can check the pickups and the volume/tone pots in the same stroke with what they're supposed to function with (strings).

The speaker thing is a good idea too, never thought about doing that.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Just tap the magnets with a screwdriver. No need to make it complicated. You'll know right away if they work.