Basically I am just starting to build my effects rig, but I have absolutely no experience in doing that so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I have £300 to spend, I play a wide variety of genres like rock, blues, heavier rock (but nowhere near metal) and alot of other stuff. I already have a boss rc30 so I wont really need a looper. Any help would be great thanks =D
Need equipment description. Amp? Guitar?
Where your playing, House? Apartment? Dorm?
General idea on tones your looking for. 70s? 80s? Country? Blues?

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I have a epiphone les paul custom and I will soon be getting a telecaster, I have a marshall mg30 but I rarely use it as most of the time I am either using someone elses amp or I am plugged into a PA, I play small bars and clubs but I also play alot at home. I am really a blues player but I also end up playing heavier stuff, in the sort of 80's and I also try and play a bit of country. So it would have to be quite versatile.
Pedals will not work well with the MG. From the description of the music you play I would suggest a Tubescreamer and maybe a delay or chorus. As far as any other pedals I would wait till you pick up an amp. Then you can decide on any other pedals from what the amp can't do. Maybe look into a multi effect to start with. That way you can try all effects and see which ones lean towards your style of music. There are several out there. I personally have the Boss GT-10. (It is pricey but buying 4 pedals and your close to that price anyway) Take a trip to the music store and try some different ones out and see which ones you like. When buying a Tubescreamer make sure you get a GOOD ONE. There are alot of lower quality screamers that sound like crap. Hard to go wrong with the Ibanez. I myself have a Screamer Clone of the 808. The Way Huge Rhino is also a good one.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
This is most of my FX set up. I play a lot of the same stuff it sounds like. I'll get some prices so you can get an idea of what you're probably looking at in the long run. I'm in the US so I'm not really sure what exchange rates are gonna do to the prices... If you can find this stuff used, you'll obviously be able to get it for less. You can probably get a bunch of new Boss pedals to cover most of this and be fine, but if you're opposed to something not true bypass then...

Get a tuner if you don't have one. I love my TC Electronics Polytune ($100). Awesome for live stuff! You should be able to get a clip on tuner for around $30. Good if you wanna save some money.

Overdrive. I always start with my amp overdrive because I believe that an amp will always out do a pedal. The drive on my OD pedals is always low because of that. I enjoy my TS808ri ($175). Its tried and true. I've heard good things about the Way Huge Swollen Pickle ($129), Lovepedal Eternity ($215) and Keeley Fuzz Head ($209). Boss blues driver ($100) is worth looking into. Its not true bypass, but IMO its the best Boss drive pedal you can get. There are a plethora of these in every price range and flavor you can imagine.

Boost. I use my Boss SD1 ($50) for a clean boost and it works for now. Its really a clean boost into and overdrive. I'd like to get the Keeley upgrades on it though ($55). I'd also like to pick up a Keeley Katana ($199) for this. The reviews, videos, recordings its on, and word on the street puts this thing on a pedestal. Its transparent if you want it to be or its got a sprinkling of sparkly grit if you prefer. There's also the Keeley Java Boost ($199). I don't remember it being nearly as clean but I do remember being very impressed.

Delay. I've got a TCE Flashback ($150) and its totally cool! Great stock sounds and the tone print and tone print app (FREE- iPhone and Android) are awesome as well. The MXR Carbon Copy ($150) is great for analogue and goes great next to the Flashback. I've heard its darker than the Way Huge Aqua Puss ($150). The Aqua Puss doesn't have as much time but that's good if you're just lookin for slap back.

Wah. I keep hearing about Buddwah ($150) and Vox (starting at $90) wahs as being the close to the top. I know the Buddwah is true bypass. Not sure about the Vox's. Keeley might still mod Dunlop wahs to TB... Regardless, that is the big problem that most people have with them. Dunlop wahs (starting at $95) start out pretty cheap and aren't a bad deal. Mine has lasted forever without any problems.

If I could only have 2 FX I'd totally go with a good overdrive and a solid delay.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Missed that about the MG30. Totally go with the advice from JN. New amp! I've been using a Fender Hot Rod Delux and its been good. Its definitely not the best, but it sounds good on its own and takes pedals great for the price.
Last edited by bpdeem at Dec 18, 2011,