Poll: LaBella or Thomastik Infeld?
Poll Options
View poll results: LaBella or Thomastik Infeld?
LaBella
9 69%
Thomastik Infeld
4 31%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a nice, versatile set of flats to put on my precision bass and I've narrowed it down to these two brands. I don't like Roto 77s, never been interested in D'Addarios and Pyramid Golds are the worst strings I've ever had the misfortune to play.

I've had Thomastiks before and they were the best flats I've ever had but they were very loose so I needed to set up the bass all over again; I've never tried anything by LaBella before.

Any opinions, comments or stories?
Can't comment on the flats but I use La Bella rounds on my Bongo. Really nice feeling strings and very tonally balanced.
You're going to have to set up your bass for whatever you get anyway. I remember reading that La Bella flats are really high tension.
Thomasik does well in the upright area, but for electric bass, you can't beat LaBellas.
I like both but Thomastik Infelds are my default flatwounds.

I also like DR Legends for their vintage thump on my P-bass.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
It wasn't dead. It merely "failed to thrive."

Maybe you got a bad set? A lot of people do seem to like those things. And they certainly ain't cheap over on this side of the pond.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
They really expensive and I'm certainly not the only person to have this problem. The manufacturers claim it to be a feature, rather than a flaw. Yet another brand to bump up their prices based on the Beetles. **** Hofner.
It's a feature that I like on the pyramids that I like.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I cannot stand uneven tone. I hate demoing basses in the shop and finding that the A, D and G strings are all bright as hell while the E as more sweat and grease on it than a MacDonald's employee.
Does McCartney still use them?
Quote by Spaz91
I cannot stand uneven tone. I hate demoing basses in the shop and finding that the A, D and G strings are all bright as hell while the E as more sweat and grease on it than a MacDonald's employee.

О бедных вас.

Вы хотите, чтобы печенье.

Quote by FatalGear41
Does McCartney still use them?

IIRC he has switch to Rotosound 77's and 88's.
Quote by dark Mass
О бедных вас.

Вы хотите, чтобы печенье.

IIRC he has switch to Rotosound 77's and 88's.

Печенье плохо для Вас.
Они не плохо для вас, если они не овсянкой и изюмом.
Шоколадный чип или ничто!
Не, гэта здобнае або нічога!
Достаточно, икра демона! Я возвращаюсь на английский язык теперь!

No more talk of cookies! We are bassists! We speak of whiskey!

Maker's Mark is vile.

What makes me happy is a bottle of Laphroaig 25 year.
Quote by dark Mass
Maker's Mark is vile.

What makes me happy is a bottle of Laphroaig 25 year.

You mock the nectar of the Gods and instead curry favor with Celtic bile? For shame! Shame! Shame!

Green bottles are for German beers, anyway.

Bliss!!!
It lacks the complexity of a good Scotch.

Only the good denizens of the bass forum could turn a thread like this into a discussion about booze.

I salute all your livers, unsung heros them all.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by dark Mass
It lacks the complexity of a good Scotch.

Scotch = Iodine + Aardvark urine + bad aftershave.

I know. I've certainly consumed enough of it in my time.

Vodka? It has no taste, no color and thus serves largely as invisible barf juice. You think you're not actually drinking, and before you know it, you're head first in the crapper, heaving up your large intestines.

The only thing worse is Gin. Drinking Gin is God's way of telling you that you've hit absolutely rock-f@cking bottom and it's time to end it all.

^Don't let THIS happen to you!
Gin is the sign of good taste and passion.

Now this is blasphemy.

Gin is grandma's vaginal squeezings distilled in a pair of old gym socks.

And as bad as Jagermeister is, if it weren't for that swill, we wouldn't have half of the Metallica catalog.
Quote by FatalGear41
Gin is grandma's vaginal squeezings distilled in a pair of old gym socks.

And as bad as Jagermeister is, if it weren't for that swill, we wouldn't have half of the Metallica catalog.

No that belongs to Arak.

Sure but I don't like Metallica I much prefer a Sodom.
The Cliff Burton fans on this forum will now thirst for your blood.
Oh scary scary.
^Well after getting your answer you knew how this would turn.

Jagermeister is what German hunters drink in the black forest when faced with either death or drinking Jager.

And if you can't drink a vodka straight and detect some type of finish, you are drinking cheap vodka.
Quote by anarkee

And if you can't drink a vodka straight and detect some type of finish, you are drinking cheap vodka.

True very true.
Quote by anarkee
drinking cheap vodka.

Story of my life.

Straight tequila is the devils drink. Mixed into something, sure, but not straight, never again...

Oh, and LaBellas.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've tried a few different brands... but these days i'm set on D'Addario Chromes and LaBella Deep Talkin Flats.

The D'Addarios are easier to find, and cheaper... and to me, they sound better out of the box. But the LaBellas sound better as time goes on, and are worth the extra $.

So, between the two you listed, i voted LaBella

DR is my general fave string company... but their Hi-Beam Flats left me pretty unimpressed, sadly :/

I also had bad experiences with Pyramids (bought 2 sets)... overpriced for lousy (IMHO) quality.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Screw the flatwounds. I've got a set on one of my Ibanez basses right now and they just aren't cutting it, GHS Boomers sound and play great, and they go brilliantly with anything: bourbon, scotch, vodka, cognac, beer and champagne.

What more could any bassist ask for?
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by FatalGear41
Screw the flatwounds. I've got a set on one of my Ibanez basses right now and they just aren't cutting it, GHS Boomers sound and play great, and they go brilliantly with anything: bourbon, scotch, vodka, cognac, beer and champagne.

Flatwounds + Ibanez ≠ bliss

Flatwounds + Fender = Bliss
The shiny f@ckers won't stay in tune!
Quote by dark Mass
Flatwounds + Ibanez ≠ bliss

Flatwounds + Fender = Bliss

Very very true.
Page 1 of 2