I went to my local music shop today, As i'm purchasing new gear, i decided to try out a les paul with the amp (Marshall JCM 2000) that I wanted to buy.
I played it and it was the best sound I ever heard BUT when i tried to turn the distortion on it was deafening at level 2 with gain at 4! I live in an apartment so I can't have it that loud but the tone was so good! and I know to really get the best tone you have to have the volume loud. So is there any amp similar that I can get thats got similar tone but can have the same tone at low volume? Thanks
You could try a THD Hot Plate out... It's supposed to let you crank the amp up even at low volumes.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Volume on 1? At some stage you are going to want to play with a drummer aren't you? Get the JCM2000 and just live with it not sounding quite as good down low. You don't need mood lighting to masterbate do you? Never sacrifice your stage tone for the sake of practicing, that is the height of self-indulgent wankerism. Get a smaller amp down the track as well when you have more money. Real amp first, toys later.
When I want to practice quietly I just use a Vox Amplug and put up with the sub-par tone. I'm only practising, why do I need epic tone for that?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Poisonouspot
what do you mean by lower wattage? Different CAb?

LOL
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
like the head/combo is 5 watts compared to your jcm900 40-100 (i ferget). It lowers the headroom needed to reach overdrive. That said a fender champ 600 is kinda loud at 5 watts. my friend plays his full at his appt. but his neighbors are having parties 24/7 so they don't complain. A vox ac4tv 1/4,1,4 watt amp is good, or just headphones. I used a peavey rage 158 with headphones, usually a pair of old big speaker headphones turned up so it was distorted but low volume, also I could pop a mic between the phones, then record quietly.
Quote by askrere
like the head/combo is 5 watts compared to your jcm900 40-100 (i ferget). It lowers the headroom needed to reach overdrive. That said a fender champ 600 is kinda loud at 5 watts. my friend plays his full at his appt. but his neighbors are having parties 24/7 so they don't complain. A vox ac4tv 1/4,1,4 watt amp is good, or just headphones. I used a peavey rage 158 with headphones, usually a pair of old big speaker headphones turned up so it was distorted but low volume, also I could pop a mic between the phones, then record quietly.

The JCM is a master volume amp. You can get distortion out of it at much lower volumes than a Champ. Headroom is irrelevant in this case. As if he's going to be getting power amp distortion out of a JCM in an apartment ... the walls would probably collapse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ It would give new meaning to bringing the roof down.

And if he likes the JCM's tone, I really don't think that the Champ is going to cut it. IIRC, it is completely different. An attenuator might be a good way to go but I would just turn the volume down. Also rolling the volume back on your guitar will help to a degree.
Quote by Cathbard
Volume on 1? At some stage you are going to want to play with a drummer aren't you? Get the JCM2000 and just live with it not sounding quite as good down low. You don't need mood lighting to masterbate do you? Never sacrifice your stage tone for the sake of practicing, that is the height of self-indulgent wankerism. Get a smaller amp down the track as well when you have more money. Real amp first, toys later.
When I want to practice quietly I just use a Vox Amplug and put up with the sub-par tone. I'm only practising, why do I need epic tone for that?

That... I can't crank my amp up in my garage.... but it's great for on stage... Get the JCM2000
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Cathbard

hahahaha what an analogy... why not get a smaller watt tube amp along with it for practice? something like a blackheart handsome devil, little giant or a jetcity? u can find a used little giant for not more than $120.

for apartment playing u really need something with a mater vol. The other thing u need is a 1x12 not a 4x12 the 4x12 arent any louder but they push more air which means ur neighbors will hear the 4x12 more over the 1x12.

ur just gonna have to compromise, apartment living and guitars dont go well together, if u want the marshal stack go for it, but u'll never be able to dime it in an apartment. Make sure to get one with a master vol.

my current apt amp is a fender champ600 and a handsome devil stack. I have NEVER blasted the champ it is just waaaaayy too loud even at 5w and its 6in speaker. I am thinking of the ac4tv with its 1/4watt for my next apt amp. There is a very good chance i'll be moving early next year so i am looking for an orange rockerverb, but no way would i bring that into the apartment.

One more thing get an amp stand, the dude underneath me is crazy and does not tolerate my guitar playing, the amp stand will help in getting rid of the bass and direct contact which would transfer alot of noise.
Quote by CodeMonk
Get the JCM2000.
Some day you may want to get out of your lease.

The way I always got out of a lease is to simply stop paying rent. The landlord will break the lease pretty damn fast once you do that. Prevents him from holding onto your bond too because you've already got the money back in unpaid rent.

And again, the correct answer is, "what you need is a new home." Buy the JCM2000.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
You do not need 100 watts ever period! Buy a tube combo of somekind like a peavey classic or even a kustom tube combo run a processor through the effects return and you will have anything you could ever want as far as guitar sound goes, I prefer the tonelab le in my effects return can make it sound just like an 800 900 or 2000 JCM or even a bluesbreaker and have owned every one of those amps. The processor is a godsend saves money and sounds great. Anyway forget the head and cabinet thing thats all hype and bullshit so you will spend more money. Buy a tube combo and if you must have more speakers buy an extension cabinet later. Don't listen to these guys that have a head and cabinet in their bedroom.
Quote by B.Cross
You do not need 100 watts ever period! Buy a tube combo of somekind like a peavey classic or even a kustom tube combo run a processor through the effects return and you will have anything you could ever want as far as guitar sound goes, I prefer the tonelab le in my effects return can make it sound just like an 800 900 or 2000 JCM or even a bluesbreaker and have owned every one of those amps. The processor is a godsend saves money and sounds great. Anyway forget the head and cabinet thing thats all hype and bullshit so you will spend more money. Buy a tube combo and if you must have more speakers buy an extension cabinet later. Don't listen to these guys that have a head and cabinet in their bedroom.

I bought a nice 1x12 cab for the bedroom/livingroom practice. Why? Amp heads are cheaper than combos. With an master volume box in the loop, or attenuator I can use my stage amp at home, and its a hell of a lot lighter and easier to move in and out of the house/ up and down stairs. Doesn't have to be a 100 Watt head either, I have a valve Jr and a tubemeister as well. You don't need 100 Watts, but some great amps don't come in lower wattages. Mark IV/V, jsx, 5150 (now they do), carvin legacy, so on.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster

I bought a nice 1x12 cab for the bedroom/livingroom practice. Why? Amp heads are cheaper than combos. With an master volume box in the loop, or attenuator I can use my stage amp at home, and its a hell of a lot lighter and easier to move in and out of the house/ up and down stairs. Doesn't have to be a 100 Watt head either, I have a valve Jr and a tubemeister as well. You don't need 100 Watts, but some great amps don't come in lower wattages. Mark IV/V, jsx, 5150 (now they do), carvin legacy, so on.

I bought the classic 30 for $250 bucks you can buy a 5150 for 350 to 500 right now
but if you are toting your shit around to gigs then the ideal thing is just a processor through the PA and a decent monitor. I always hated toting that shit around back in the 80's As far as great amps go well the audience can't really tell the difference and don't really give a shit as long as the music isn't out of time. I do have a 6505 sitting in my closet that I never use anymore if you are interested.
The head versions of those amps are even cheaper. How do I know? I own them.

Why does it have to be about which method is right and wrong? I spent 34 months in the desert fighting for freedom, I'll use whatever amp I want. I could give a damn if the audience can tell the difference between my bogner ecstasy, or my axe fx ultra. Oh, that's right, I use processors too. I was given the right of freedom to choose, so I choose whichever option I want. I perform just as well with any rig.

They're all just tools. Doesn't matter what combination is used, but don't go telling anyone they're wrong for using a cab and head. Its not right OR wrong.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Dec 20, 2011,
Buy it and just use it at practises. That way the valves will last longer and it will make the time you spend with it that bit extra special. Thats what I do with my 6505+, I just use a Peavey Vypyr 15 and amp sims at home and just use my 6505+ at practise.
Go buy a used POD or something like that, put some headphones on. If it's just for practice who cares? I have to do it all the time, my wife won't let me break out the carvin when the kids are sleeping. Damn kids.....
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by B.Cross
You do not need 100 watts ever period!

Thats why i've got 120.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Snott Watt
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
There's a 50 watt version of the head and there's also a combo version (40 watts). I preferred the stack version when I tried it (not a surprise). There's a thing called attenuator that lowers the wattage of your amp. So you can crank it up and the volume level will be bearable. But for bedroom use I assume you don't need the best tone you can get from the amp. There's a thing called VOLUME KNOB. Turn it down to get quieter sound and turn it up to get louder sound
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
grow some balls
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
amps are designed to be loud, not quiet. i have not hard of any amp designed to be as quiet possible. it's not hard to make just about any amp as loud as a jack hammer, even miniature tube amps (like zvex's impamp at 1 watt) can create a signal that is powerful enough to make a guitar speaker push 100 dB @ 1' fairly easily (depending on speaker's sensitivity).

if you need to be quiet, think about smaller computer speaker/modeler setups (they can easily be run at TV volumes) or get some headphones or just use your master volume knob more. a guitar amp is generally designed to be as loud as it can be, not the best thing for apartment situations.

edit: imo, amp attenuators suck more tone than master volume knobs in most practical situations.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 20, 2011,
Quote by B.Cross
You do not need 100 watts ever period!
Yeah, that's why amp companies still make them, plus all those 120 watt heads made by Peavey, Krank, etc. Because nobody needs them! Ever! Period! Need headroom? Tough shit.

Quote by B.Cross
Anyway forget the head and cabinet thing thats all hype and bullshit so you will spend more money.
Yup. Not because it makes transportation easier, not so you can swap different speaker cabinets and get different sounds or interchange through different sized cabinets, it's all a money making scheme! Heads are just a complete waste of money with no point whatsoever!

This is the most intelligent post I think I've ever seen on this site since I've joined.

TS: A DSL 2000 should sound the same below 1 as it does at 2. At both of those levels 99% of your tone is coming from the amps preamp section. It's just your ears perceiving the louder sound as different; the tone is the same, the different is all in your head (on your body, not the amp). The only time it will make a difference is when you turn it to maybe 8 or 9, when the power section starts breaking up.

Since I'm still trying to get my current band's shit together at the moment, the only place I can play my amp, a 100w Jet City stack, is in my bedroom or my ghetto home-studio. The only difference between it with the master at 4 and the master below one is that it reverberates off the walls more and I feel the bass response in my testicles more. Other than that, the tone coming directly out of the speakers is no different. I've even proven this, which I'll post a thread about later.