Page 1 of 2
Does anybody know a website or some resource that allows you to enter a note (like A/B/E etc.) and it pops out all the chords that contain that note?

That would be incredible useful.
you could spend 10 sec searching "chord finder" in google searchbar.
To be honest, that would be incredibly useless.. I have no idea why that would come in handy, or how such a resource would trump basic knowledge about chord construction.
Quote by Keth
To be honest, that would be incredibly useless.. I have no idea why that would come in handy, or how such a resource would trump basic knowledge about chord construction.

ha ha how pretentious can ya get, just ignore this guy dude im findin this quite a good tool
The TS asked for a tool that gave *every possible chord* that contains one specified note. The site you linked doesn't do that, it gives different fingerings/voicings for a specified chord.

That's a pretty big difference.
Quote by ffaf12
ha ha how pretentious can ya get, just ignore this guy dude im findin this quite a good tool

...pretentious? he's absolutely right.

go ahead, write as much music as you want using that list. you're going to find that most of the possibilities given will sound extremely poor, and maybe 3 or 4 will sound good. and there are reasons for that. reasons understood by people who have trained ears and know theory.

damn, even the people who disagree with my views on music and think i'm an elitist will agree with me on this one.

...and after seeing the link you gave, it's clear to me that you couldn't even understand the question properly.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by ffaf12

That's not quite what TS is asking for, this site's showing different positions of a specific chord rather than all chords that contain a certain note
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Thanks for the help so far guys but it's not exactly what Im looking for. The stuff that you get when type in chord finder is if you're looking what notes are in a certain chord or how to construct certain chords, I want sort of the opposite.

Something where I plug in a note (like a) and it gives me every single chord that has that note.

For instance if I plug in A it will give me:

A maj, A min, D maj, D min, E7 etc...

EditL (someone pointed this out already
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf
...pretentious? he's absolutely right.

go ahead, write as much music as you want using that list. you're going to find that most of the possibilities given will sound extremely poor, and maybe 3 or 4 will sound good. and there are reasons for that. reasons understood by people who have trained ears and know theory.

damn, even the people who disagree with my views on music and think i'm an elitist will agree with me on this one.

...and after seeing the link you gave, it's clear to me that you couldn't even understand the question properly.

Yes he's pretentious because he condescending. And who cares what the reason is for my wanting of the material. His post was unconstructive and unhelpful - same as a spam post.
Play what sounds good! That's the beauty of music, there are no rules...
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Thanks for the help so far guys but it's not exactly what Im looking for. The stuff that you get when type in chord finder is if you're looking what notes are in a certain chord or how to construct certain chords, I want sort of the opposite.

Something where I plug in a note (like a) and it gives me every single chord that has that note.

For instance if I plug in A it will give me:

A maj, A min, D maj, D min, E7 etc...

EditL (someone pointed this out already

How would you actually use it? I mean, is this really a useful tool? I can't really imagine any situation where it would be
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
ha was jazz rock feels link suposed to lead to a penguin fecthing a newspaper because it was great
Quote by Paddy McK
How would you actually use it? I mean, is this really a useful tool? I can't really imagine any situation where it would be

basically, you'd write a melody and have absolutely no knowledge of theory or harmony, and with only the natural ear to save yourself. it's essentially the guess-and-check of music for those too impatient to wait until they've actually amassed some skill save for shredding 16th notes at 200 bpm. not to mention there's no A in an E7 chord.

TS, if you want to dismiss it all as condescension, it's your loss. i can do all of what you're looking for without any external reference, because i've put in the time and effort to learn it. if you're not willing to do that, just go conduct a google search.

have fun.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Yes he's pretentious because he condescending. And who cares what the reason is for my wanting of the material. His post was unconstructive and unhelpful - same as a spam post.

I don't see how my post could come of as condescending, let alone pretentious. It certainly wasn't meant that way.

Well, I do actually want to know why you would want something like this. Because frankly, I don't see the point/practical use in it. If you'd like to know what chords to use with a certain note in it, then knowing basic chord construction (triads, sevenths, suspended chords) will be far better for actual practical application, speed and your musicianship, than having an online tool.

Believe me, I've seen way too many people come on this forum who get confused and mislead by online scale or chord 'tools'.
Last edited by Keth at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Keth
I don't see how my post could come of as condescending, let alone pretentious. It certainly wasn't meant that way.

Quote by Keth

What in this post would have helped me out with my question? What was even the point of this post?

I don't care about your opinion of how useful this tool would be. I just want to know if other people have found this tool.
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Nitnatsnok

No, you have the wrong word in mind. He's not condescending, he's helpful - trying to steer you away from something that has no practical application is actually doing you a huge favor.

Since you said it'd be "incredibly useful", care to explain how so?
Last edited by :-D at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by :-D
No, you have the wrong word in mind. He's not condescending, he's helpful - trying to steer you away from something that has no practical application is actually doing you a huge favor.

Since you said it'd be "incredibly useful", care to explain how so?

Where was he steering me? He didn't point me in any direction.
Quote by Nitnatsnok

But he actually did. Again, he pointed you away from something that really has no actual application or merit, which does the same thing as pointing you toward something - as I said earlier, if it does, care to explain it? I'm interested.
Quote by Nitnatsnok

" If you'd like to know what chords to use with a certain note in it, then knowing basic chord construction (triads, sevenths, suspended chords) will be far better for actual practical application, speed and your musicianship, than having an online tool."

Simple enough?
Quote by Vitor_vdp
" If you'd like to know what chords to use with a certain note in it, then knowing basic chord construction (triads, sevenths, suspended chords) will be far better for actual practical application, speed and your musicianship, than having an online tool."

Simple enough?

That happened after the condescending post.

Easy conversation to follow right?
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Does anybody know a website or some resource that allows you to enter a note (like A/B/E etc.) and it pops out all the chords that contain that note?

That would be incredible useful.

It'll be more beneficial for you to learn chord construction and pedal tones.
Say you would want to know all possible chords that contain the note A. That would mean you have eleven other notes that would change the harmony ->

2^11 = 2048 different 'chords'.

That's why I wanted to know why you would think this would be useful, because I don't see the point in it. Also, I did point you in a direction namely basic chord construction.

(If I failed with the math, please feel free to correct me.)

Quote by Nitnatsnok
That happened after the condescending post.

Easy conversation to follow right?

Check my first post please:

Quote by Keth

That being said, if you want to learn about basic chord construction (and music theory as a whole), I'd recommend musictheory.net.
Last edited by Keth at Dec 18, 2011,
The only reason I can see you wanting this tool is for composition - you've got a melody and you need to find the next chord to play under a particular note. In that case, unless you're playing jazz or you're wanting to get experimental, the only chords you'll want to find will be ones with that melody note as the root, third, or fifth. Other intervals can sometimes work, but they're going to sound jazzier. Just learn how to do a quick interval check on your guitar (third is a string up and a fret down, fifth is a string up and two frets up, etc.) and you'll be able to find those chords quickly. Chord finders inhibit your brain's ability to make connections and understand why the music you're making sounds good. You won't learn how to do algebra by simply looking up the answers to every equation online. On a completely unrelated subject, I just read about an organization who did surveys of young students in every country around the world, testing their competence in math. They gave students a very, very lengthy survey before the test, asking them various questions about their lives and the like. Some students got bored with the survey of roughly 120 questions, and decided to leave some questions blank as they got further along. After getting the test results and the surveys back, the organization realized that amazingly, the correlation between the amount of answers a student skipped on the survey and their ability to do math were EXACTLY related. If a student got bored and refused to sit down and work on something, they sucked at math - if they were willing to sit down and work on something until they figured it out, they were good at math. The point here being that you'll never be good at music unless you're willing to sit down and figure things out for yourself so that you understand how music works. Do the leg work - you'll be glad you did.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
The only reason I can see you wanting this tool is for composition - you've got a melody and you need to find the next chord to play under a particular note. In that case, unless you're playing jazz or you're wanting to get experimental, the only chords you'll want to find will be ones with that melody note as the root, third, or fifth. Other intervals can sometimes work, but they're going to sound jazzier. Just learn how to do a quick interval check on your guitar (third is a string up and a fret down, fifth is a string up and two frets up, etc.) and you'll be able to find those chords quickly. Chord finders inhibit your brain's ability to make connections and understand why the music you're making sounds good. The point here being that you'll never be good at music unless you're willing to sit down and figure things out for yourself so that you understand how music works. Do the leg work - you'll be glad you did.

Wow, only took till the second page for someone to realize why. And actually yes, that's exactly what it's for. I'm trying to find chords that go together but aren't used or found in typical theory, for instance A-maj to F#-maj.
Quote by Keth
That being said, if you want to learn about basic chord construction (and music theory as a whole), I'd recommend musictheory.net.

Thanks for the resource though.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
words

other than the spacing, this is a good post compared to 2 dunces arguing about how overlord keth didn't help them because he didn't hand them chords on a silver platter

Quote by Nitnatsnok
Wow, only took till the second page for someone to realize why. And actually yes, that's exactly what it's for. I'm trying to find chords that go together but aren't used or found in typical theory, for instance A-maj to F#-maj.

he went on to say that you should learn theory. a maj to f# maj isn't unusual at all...what? accidentals, accidentals, accidentals
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Nitnatsnok

You mean F#-maj7, assuming you're abbreviating the - as minor.
^ Yay I got sigged

TS, I can do this in my head, and you should be able to do it too. Don't rely on a computer program.
Quote by griffRG7321
^ Yay I got sigged

TS, I can do this in my head, and you should be able to do it too. Don't rely on a computer program.

I could do 2^11 on paper as well but I'd be an idiot not to do it on my computer.
Page 1 of 2