It's my first tube amp. Don't know what to get, but I want versatility. From really crunchy high gain to shimmering cleans. I know the Carvin V3 and the Peavey Classic 50 can do this, I just don't know which one to get. I need the amp to gig. My band plays metalcore and another plays original hardcore. So I need an amp that will go from 6505 sounding to Marshall JCM 800 sounding, plus I need good cleans. If I got the Peavey I'd have to push it with a pedal. The Carvin is good by itself, but I haven't played it in person and it sounds rather muddy. The Peavey Classic 50 is up on Craigslist for 200$ and the for the Carvin V3 I have to trade 3 guitars that I don't use +175... I know the obvious choice is the Peavey Classic if money was a problem, but still, I want some opinions.
Quote by MrFlibble
There are no words to accurately describe my disdain for this post.
V3

classic 50 is great but teh V3 is incredibly versatile...

save a little more and wait for used V3? patience is key my friend
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Do yourself a Peavey, get a favor
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
I love peavey, but there's not contest between the two amps your looking at. Get the V3.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
The V3 is a slightly better amp imo, however for $200 the Classic 50 is a great deal and the V3 is slightly over-priced. (In this situation)
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
This V3 is used. My buddy buys and sells. I have no cash, and he said he'd trade it with some cash on top. I'm only trading a Neck through body Ibanez, an Ibanez Mikro, and some no name acoustic and 175$.
Can the V3 get good crunch? I was just listening to clips of the Classic 50 and it's got a great crunch. I'm pretty torn, haha.
Quote by MrFlibble
V3 for sure. I love love love the classic 50 but the V3 is better. And can it crunch? It can crunch very well. That being said, the deal on the classic is really good.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
There is a used V3 with the proprietary cab near me going for 950$. If I had the cash, I'd go for it right away.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by Artemis Entreri
V3 for sure. I love love love the classic 50 but the V3 is better. And can it crunch? It can crunch very well. That being said, the deal on the classic is really good.

the c50 has awesome crunch for like alternative rock/classic rock. the cleans are good, but not great. as much as i love a classic series peavey, the V3 is much better.

id go with teh V3 like i said before but there are other possibilities if you wanna look elsewhere.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Both include footswitch. My other guitarist has a Peavey JSX, so I have to be able to out tone him.
Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by mwiguitar62
Both include footswitch. My other guitarist has a Peavey JSX, so I have to be able to out tone him.

well the JSX is an incredible versatile amp. i tried one with a JP7. the cleans are borderline acoustic ( and that was without usin the piezos ) and really gainy aswell. teh V3 will be able to dial up countless tones while the c50 will struggle without help of a pedal or two....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
the c50 has awesome crunch for like alternative rock/classic rock. the cleans are good, but not great. as much as i love a classic series peavey, the V3 is much better.

id go with teh V3 like i said before but there are other possibilities if you wanna look elsewhere.

Why'd you quote me to say the same thing I said? Just out of curiosity.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Just called the guy with the Classic 50, he said he'll let it go for less than 200$. But now my guitarist is pushing me to get the V3.
Quote by MrFlibble
I have the V3m! Use it daily They really need the footswitch makes life much easier!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Quote by mwiguitar62
Just called the guy with the Classic 50, he said he'll let it go for less than 200$. But now my guitarist is pushing me to get the V3.

See this is what makes it hard...the deal on the classic 30 is SO good. Like, gimme this guy's contact information and I'LL buy it from him :P

I gotta say go V3 still though, if you never use those guitars the deal on it is solid too. And it's a better amp, one that will last you a long time.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
See this is what makes it hard...the deal on the classic 30 is SO good. Like, gimme this guy's contact information and I'LL buy it from him :P

I gotta say go V3 still though, if you never use those guitars the deal on it is solid too. And it's a better amp, one that will last you a long time.

If you really want it, haha.
And I use the Neck through body Ibanez, I just don't want it anymore. If or when I trade it, I'm using my bassist's Jay Turser until I can get my own guitar (I know you guys look down on that, but I don't really mind), which will be pretty soon.
I think I'm going with the V3, though. If in the end, I don't like it, I'll just go ahead and get
Quote by MrFlibble
a Classic 50*
Sorry, hit reply to early on accident.
Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Why'd you quote me to say the same thing I said? Just out of curiosity.

i accidentally pressed the quote button?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
So Carvin?
Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by mwiguitar62
So Carvin?

yes
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Thanks guys, I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow when I get it.
Quote by MrFlibble
I got it. Videos should be posted tomorrow or the day after. I tested it while I was buying it. The EQX boost made my ears very happy.
Quote by MrFlibble
I don't think I'll be regretting this purchase.
Quote by MrFlibble