In exchange for my parents paying my guitar classes, I have to write & record them a full song. Guitar, bass and drums (by the end of the year). With no inspration all year, I have about 9 days left to do this. First of all, I know that you can't just pump out original music on command. However, my parents dont care. And if I fail to record them a song, I have to pay for my guitar classes (about $2000).

Any great suggestions for inspiration/ easy but good sounding formulas?
I-iv-v is great.

Also, search on google "how to write a song". You will actually find helpful stuff.
Em - C - G - D in any order

EDIT: Also, 4/4 time and a bassline that's made up of really basic root notes
Take the "Knocking On Heavens Door" chords (G - D - Am / G - D - C) and make up a simple chorus.. Or just do the same four chords all over the song. If it's your first song the don't be too picky! It's not gonna be like "Stairway To Heaven" anyways! Writing an original chord progression these days pretty much can't be done..

Or actually just think about the 2000 dollars it will cost you if you fail.. It would sure help me out..

And if that fails also then go smoke a bowl! And be sure to record it the first time cause there's no way in hell you're gonna remember it yourself..
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Dude, improv it! Pick a good progression to improv over. (my personal favorite is G - D - Am - C) and make things up. Say something like "hey parents, I love you so much, but if i have to pay my rent, I can't pay for guitar lessons" etc. Go full on stream of consciousness. It makes my friends laugh
Lol- go parents
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by marcelaguiar
In exchange for my parents paying my guitar classes, I have to write & record them a full song. Guitar, bass and drums (by the end of the year). With no inspration all year, I have about 9 days left to do this. First of all, I know that you can't just pump out original music on command. However, my parents dont care. And if I fail to record them a song, I have to pay for my guitar classes (about $2000).

Any great suggestions for inspiration/ easy but good sounding formulas?

I guess my reply would not help since the 9 days has already past but let me reply instead. You could have wrote a song of appreciation to your parents since they were the one who enrolled you in a guitar class. I-iv-v sure will work fine. As for the lyrics, let it be personal so that your parents could really feel that you wrote the song for them.

Anyway, how did it go? I hope you were not the one who paid your guitar classes
Last edited by ndrewoods at Jan 8, 2012,
I'd definitely say that improvisation is the way to go! Pick some simple chords, even a little blues progression and record a little solo improv over it. And if you're really feelling it, some bluesy lyrics will just pop into your head, believe me! I actually wish my parents challenged me that much.... Been trying to prove myself to them for years... Good luck anyways!