I play guitar, but have recently joined a band as the bassist. With money i get for christmas, im gonna buy a squier vintage modified seventies jazz bass, and then start saving for an amp. What would be an ideal first amp for recording/small gigs? ive looked at the fender bronco i think its called, like a bass mustang? alsoas a separate question, will my guitar effects pedals (in my sig) work on bass? ta for the help.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
You cannot play any sort of gig with a lunchbox amp. They don't work and they sound like amphibian shit when mic'ed. Take a look at something gig-worthy, like Acoustic's B200 1x15 combo at 200 watts.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There is an Acoustic Bass stack for 549.99 on Musician's Friend. I just ordered mine Saturday and I can't wait! It says it's good for gigs and stuff so yeah check it out.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Okay, I had a look at those, and they don't seem to be available in the uk, atleast not that I could find. What would be a minimum wattage for a bass amp for gigging?
200 watts minimum. If you play the loud stuff, and depending on what your guitarist(s) plays through, you might need more. In the UK, look at the offerings from Ashdown.
^solid advice right there^
If you're on a tiny budget,and don't mind sacrificing some tone,you can get away with 100 watts,but that's scraping the barrel.Most Laney amps won't sound to good,but won't hurt your wallet to much,and aren't going to blow up in a minute.
Ideally,look for either a 1x15 speaker or a 4x10,or a 2x10 if you don't want to bother with something big.Ashdown make great bass amps,and aren't hugely overpriced.I've been told that low end ampegs should be avoided,aswell as most marshall bass amps.
Peavey don't make terrible budget amp,particularly if you can find the old mark III heads second hand.
Avoid behringer and line 6 like the plague.
No,your guitar pedals won't damage your amp,but things like distortions will cut some low end from your signal.
Read through the FAQ,should answer most of your questions.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ok, thanks for the help. Il look at some ashdowns, I know the music shop near me has some ashdowns.
Also as stated above avoid Marshall MB's it's the bass equivalent to a Marshall MG
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Also as stated above avoid Marshall MB's it's the bass equivalent to a Marshall MG

I disagree. All the MB's I've played through have been pretty solid. Hell, I have an MB 4x10 cab and it sounds half decent.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
I disagree.

Of course you would.... Hater.
I had a brief play through an MB stack in my local music store, tried both a 4x10 and a 1x15 iirc. Sounded pretty awful to my ears. There was a constant high unpleasant hiss (which I can attest wasn't the instrument) and the tone was lacklustre; rather anemic mids and an almost non-existent low end, which the EQ on the amp seemed entirely incapable of fixing (not that you should have to use corrective EQ on an amp). I didn't play through either of them long enough to tell whether it was the head or the cabs, but that sound persisted through both cabs so perhaps it was the head.

My opinion though, others probably have different experiences with them. Hell, I've found all of the Ashdown products to be simply abysmal, but everyone else seems to love them. I've played them by myself, in rehearsals, at gigs, every time they've left me wishing I was playing through my own rig. Muddy, indistinct, small sounding, seems to kill all the character of the instrument you're playing and create a big wall of fart no matter how you dial it in (way too far from neutral when the EQ is left flat). But that's just me.

When going on the cheap, I'd look at second hand old Laney stuff. I gigged literally hundreds of gigs with a beat up Laney DP-150 head (but old stuff like that can take the beating unlike anything you'll get now) I got for £50 on eBay, running through a couple of cheap DIY 1x15 PA cabs. I got a far better, balanced tone than any Ashdown or similar amp I've ever used.

It wasn't until I finally took a plunge with a new Genz Benz amp that costs £600 that I found an amp that sounded better than that Laney.
ok, well when i got to get my bass il try out some amps there. thanks again for the help.
Used stuff... craigslist, pawn shops, mom'n'pop music shops, even used sections of large chains.

With a tight budget, there really isn't much of a reason to spend it on new gear, when the same modest amount will net you much more usable gear on the used market.

My very first touring setup was this (all used):
-'95 Ibanez ATK300 - $100
-'70s Sunn Colliseum head - $150
-'70s Ampeg 2x15 cab - $200
-Boss Tuner, Bass Overdrive, Delay and Bass Chorus - $100 in a package deal

So, my $550 worked well enough to last me 3 years of constant touring, and tons of shows. If i went with new stuff, $550 would barely get me a bass and a 'meh' combo amp.

As for the pedals. Any guitar pedal will work with a bass. However, it's up to your ears as to weather or not it sounds good. The problem is the loss of low end, so in a full band setting the bass gets buried behind the guitars. But, this is usaly only applicable to dirt (fuzz, overdrive and distortion), also sometimes filters (envalope filters, and wahs) can loose some low end, but not TOO bad. Most modulation pedals (chorus, reverb, delay, tremolo, phaser, flanger, etc...) work just as well on bass. There are plenty of bass specific versions of every pedal type out there, but just TRY what you have before dropping the $$$ on new ones.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Of course you would.... Hater.

Grow up.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I always wanted to give a thorough tryout to a Marshall VBA 400 amp:

^as would I,but never in a million years will you see anything like that in Australia^

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
There's actually quite a few VBA heads in Australia. They pop up on eBay every so often and there's at least one person on OzBassForum with one.
Apparently they sell pretty quick when they get over here. They're not made in large numbers.
Maybe its simply because I live in the backwards bogan town of Geelong that I haven't seen one!