So I recently ordered a JJ 12Ax7 and swapped it out for the Ruby tube that came stock in my 6505+ combo, in the V3 position.

Well, my amp actually now sounds a little harsh. (lead channel). It's kind of hard to describe, but it sounds a little more grainy, a little more solid-statish with a reduction in low-end harmonics -- which is exactly what I was trying to improve, lol. I put the old tube back in and it sounded a lot better.

Now, I probably need to put the JJ back in to be really sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing. But I'm 85% sure it sounds worse. I could also try it in other positions to see what happens.

But do you think it's something that will work itself out over time, or is this tube defective?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yeah, they sound a little different after a few hours. I'd give it a bit before you decide it's defective. It certainly could be, but tubes can sound a little stiff right out of the box for some reason.
Well, I have only played with it for about 1/2 hour total. I'll give it a few hours and see if anything changes.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Drive it hard for the next hour and you'll be right. Those JJ's have a lot of midrange. I can imagine somebody thinking they sound grainy anyway. They are great at bringing out the crunch in a Marshall. They just hammer the midrange so you're getting lots of clipping in the throaty part of the spectrum. I could imagine somebody calling that grainy on first listening.
After this hour of hammering to break it in your ear should attune to it too. You're probably just not used to hearing mids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
some tech's like to give them an 8 hour break in period
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504799

There is another thread talking about recent quality issues with JJ tubes. If yours don't smooth out after some play you might want to take a look at some of the issues they are talking about.
Quote by Cathbard
Drive it hard for the next hour and you'll be right. Those JJ's have a lot of midrange. I can imagine somebody thinking they sound grainy anyway. They are great at bringing out the crunch in a Marshall. They just hammer the midrange so you're getting lots of clipping in the throaty part of the spectrum. I could imagine somebody calling that grainy on first listening.
After this hour of hammering to break it in your ear should attune to it too. You're probably just not used to hearing mids.

He has a 6505. That amp has more mids with the mid knob at 0 than a lot of other amps cranked and dimed
Quote by GS LEAD 5
He has a 6505. That amp has more mids with the mid knob at 0 than a lot of other amps cranked and dimed

And if he was used to worn out tubes that had no mids even when new and then put in a new mids heavy tube? It was a comment on the tubes, not the amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, I also ordered a full retube kit for my 5150 head from Eurotubes, JJ's ofc. I'll post here in a week or two to tell if I'll be experiencing the same thing you've just mentioned.

Yeah, the 5150/6505 has shitloads of midrange, I never run my mids more than 3.5/4, and thats when I'm recording soloes/lead licks.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Quote by Cathbard
And if he was used to worn out tubes that had no mids even when new and then put in a new mids heavy tube? It was a comment on the tubes, not the amp.

Oops my bad. yeah, could be. Ive heard an LC15 go from middy to weedy just because of tubes.....
Does your amp have a standby option? If it does, I'd say leave it on stand by for about an hour or two, and see if you notice a difference in the tone after that.
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
Cooking the heaters for two hours is not going to break the tubes in. You might as well put them in the oven.
Alright thanks for all the responses. Should I play with the gain turned up more than normal for an hour or so?

I don't really have the option to play with the post gain turned way up because I live in a condo unfortunately. But it seems like that would really just work the power tubes, not the pre-amp tubes.

Also, should I try it in other positions? I really didn't think changing just one tube would affect the sound this much...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The master volume won't make a difference. Cranking the gain will work them a bit harder.
Yes, you should experiment. Took me quite a while to settle on the combination of tubes I liked most in my gigging amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification