I'm looking to buy an acoustic soon while all of the holiday sales are going on. I definitely prefer a smaller/shallower bodied guitar (I even find that playing bulkier electrics is uncomfortable for me), and one issue that I'm running into is that while all of the smaller guitars I'm playing are more comfortable to play, they seem to suffer sound-wise. This was true with all of the ovation brand guitars that I've tried and various others. I'm looking to buy an acoustic to take with me to school next year, so I don't want anything super expensive. Something nice in the $300 range. Any suggestions on specific models in that price range, that have a shallower body but still sound good? I would be playing Dead and Phish covers, music like that if that helps make suggestions. Thanks guys and happy holidaze.
I have a martin 000 copy made by Aria in Japan. Sounds great! got it for $200 second hand.
---
if your going shallow body I.E. an ovation celebrity,balladeer and such, your going to give up on sound. thoses were designed to be plugged in to get the desired sound. i dont know of a shallow that sounds great unplugged. maybe try out a mid depth bowl? i have 3 of the T series ovations and 2 other mid depth ones. they are great unplugged. its a compromise, you want tone and portability. and from your musical choices i guess your heading to UVM?
Quote by stepchildusmc
if your going shallow body I.E. an ovation celebrity,balladeer and such, your going to give up on sound. thoses were designed to be plugged in to get the desired sound. i dont know of a shallow that sounds great unplugged. maybe try out a mid depth bowl? i have 3 of the T series ovations and 2 other mid depth ones. they are great unplugged. its a compromise, you want tone and portability. and from your musical choices i guess your heading to UVM?

I've tried a ton of ovations and haven't been happy with any of them, something about their shapes just feel awkward for me. I found this takamine online that I like: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-G-NEX-Flame-Maple-EG440CS-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105650105-i1475531.gc

I haven't been able to try it out yet the guitar center near me doesn't carry it in store, and it is a little out of my price range but I could make it work of I had to. Any opinions on that specific model? And not heading to UVM haha going to JWU next year haha
i like the TAK 440. havent played one but, the Blondes church group uses one. it sounds ok in the church vids ive seen
I think you will have a very hard time finding anything in a slimline that has a rich low end for $300, the Tak looks like a good choice, but also keep looking around a little more before making a decision. Good luck.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I like a bright sound, so thinner acoustics don't bother me. But, I have a friend who has a thinner acoustic made by spencer. It's a nice guitar. He bought it for $100 used, but I guarrantee it is worth more than me. I loved the sound of that guitar.
Thanks for the help guys. I spent a few hours in guitar center the other day, played every guitar from the ones starting at $100 all the way up to some of the more-higher end guitars that cost thousands. I ended up with a Mitchell, a brand I've never heard of before until then. Turns out its guitar center's own brand. It blew away the Tak and everything else I played that was under $500. It's nice and thin and still has the sound I was after. Here's a link to what I ended up with: http://www.mitchellguitars.com/prodimages/mitchellAdmin/products/gallery/MX400-manual.pdf

(I got the bubina one, the one in the back)
Quote by stepchildusmc
nice pick mikki ! i've never heard one. gotta post a video so we can all enjoy it also.

The audio quality on my webcam isn't that great, but I'll see what I can do and I'll keep you guys updated!