I've never owned a fender before - When I started playing guitar I was presented with a cheap les paul and a cheap strat, and the strat sounded like crap compared to the les paul so I went the LP route.

As i've observed the guitar market the last couple years, I've noticed that there are a shit-ton of imitations for both, but what worries me is that fender seems to make their parts interchangeable between the high end models and the low end models. I don't want to get ripped off, and I'm doing a guitar exchange tonight with someone from kijiji.

The guy claims to have a HWY-1 tele and a usa standard tele up for trade. Can someone tell me what to look for to make sure they're legit and not a mim, mij, or frankenstein model?
i'd probably rather have an mij than a highway 1

that being said, are you sure the parts are interchangeable? things like trems etc. might not be.

though you're right, if it's a frankenstein you don't really know for sure what you're getting.

check things like teh serial numbers, i guess
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the guitar should have a serial number which you should be able to refrence on fenders website or soemthing like that. i'd ask to see a photo of it before you swap. also the details you get from the serial number should be able to tell you what parts that particular guitar should have so they should match up
well for one the serial number and the headstock will most definately say made in usa. The body is a little harder. I would plug em in... if they feel cheap they probably are, look at the neck pocket, neither of those guitars would have space between the body and the neck. Feel the pots they should be smooth. You pretty much have to feel and listen to it too, its hard to explain to someone what the finish might look like on a true american strat or what the main diffrences are when listening to it, its just one of those things u know from experience. Aside from taking the guitar apart and checking the pups and body u can never be 100% sure.

I recommend looking up on google some fake strats or usa imitations and see what they look like, also ask for the serial number before hand and look it up.
Both should have 22 frets. Few MIMs have 22 frets. The Highway 1 proabably has a flat paint scheme.

Other than that, take a close look at the decals. For the amount of money you're talking here, it wouldn't be worth the effort to fake that well. So if the decals look right, they probably are. Google Images these guitars and look at how they are.

If it were a Strat instead of a Tele I could tell you a lot more. Anyway, good luck.
I'll give them both a good inspection I suppose...and i'll look up some info on fender serial numbers so i don't have to punch in some info on my phone while the guy is sitting there watching me.

What mostly worried me was the use of bolt-on necks. The decal I'm familiar with is on the headstock...but couldn't the neck easily be put on a cheap body? Is there a decal on the body?
Serials will only take you so far, and some MIA necks fit on MIM's. The only for sure way to tell if the neck and body are from the same year and manufacturer is to unbolt the neck and check the dates on the heel and neck pocket. Fender stamps every last guitar on those places.
Quote by JustRooster
Serials will only take you so far, and some MIA necks fit on MIM's. The only for sure way to tell if the neck and body are from the same year and manufacturer is to unbolt the neck and check the dates on the heel and neck pocket. Fender stamps every last guitar on those places.

True, but we're not talkin vintage guitars here. A good MIA Fender neck isn't easy to come by. The only reason to sell a good MIA with an MIM or a MIJ body would be if the MIA body was smashed or otherwise damaged big time. Even then, unless you had a good MIM or MIJ body lying around and no neck, then it's probably not worth it. Might as well just sell the neck by itself, because a whole MIM + 1 MIA neck could = more than an MIA.

Also, the HWY-1 bodies have a flat finish. It would cost too much to do that to an MIM guitar to be worth it.

It's probably not reasonable to remove the neck; I wouldn't let a potential buyer do that unless I had the money in hand and a signed contract saying that he would buy it unless the #s didn't match. Too easy to mess up the screws or the thread to be doing that for potential buyers.
at one point i heard (unconfirmed) that the USA and MIM trems weren't interchangable. but i am not sure. i am sure most of you know more about fender than i. i burn through them, but never really play them.

hwy1 flat nitro finish
i have never seen an american strat with 21 frets.
i think at one point (i dont know if it was modded or not or how extensively) i have seen a 22 fret MIM

check the serial numbers.

i wish i could be of more help and apologize if anything i said was incorrect, i rarely give out information i am not sure about, but maybe it will spark somebody who knows fender better than me.

edit. the hwy1 guitars have a slightly different styled decal on the headstock.

just a thought, i think all of the HWY1's i have seen have had the 70's headstocks. some americans do to, but they vary by the year so maybe you could get the serial number and find the year, and see what headstock would be proper for that year.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 19, 2011,
the parts aren't always interchangeable and often the american ones can't be changed with MIM parts. as for what to look for well that does requier some knowledge.. check online or inperson if possible teh specs for the guitar you are buying. things like 21 or 22 frets or the type of saddles make the difference. pickups do as well but often you have to remove the pick guard to tell what is there.
If either of these guitars have a trem, then it's not factory. HWY-1 & MIA Standard Teles don't come with trems. I'm not sure Fender put trems on Teles other than at the custom shop or maybe an artist model. Certainly not on any HWY-1 Tele.

For Strats, MIMs have 6 point trems, whereas Standard & Deluxe MIAs have 2-point trems. MIA Re-issue and some artist models have 6 point trems, 21 frets, and some even have the truss rod adjuster under the pick guard.

But, no, current standard & deluxe MIAs always have 22 frets. Even the HWY-1s always have 22 frets. The only MIM Strats and Teles I'm aware of w/22 frets are the Blacktop series.

And, no, a Highway 1 Telecaster won't have a big '70s Stratocaster headstock. But the HWY-1 Strats do.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
at one point i heard (unconfirmed) that the USA and MIM trems weren't interchangable. but i am not sure. i am sure most of you know more about fender than i. i burn through them, but never really play them.

hwy1 flat nitro finish
i have never seen an american strat with 21 frets.
i think at one point (i dont know if it was modded or not or how extensively) i have seen a 22 fret MIM

check the serial numbers.

i wish i could be of more help and apologize if anything i said was incorrect, i rarely give out information i am not sure about, but maybe it will spark somebody who knows fender better than me.

edit. the hwy1 guitars have a slightly different styled decal on the headstock.

just a thought, i think all of the HWY1's i have seen have had the 70's headstocks. some americans do to, but they vary by the year so maybe you could get the serial number and find the year, and see what headstock would be proper for that year.

It changes based upon models, but generally for today's models the MIM's have the 2 screw tremolo and the MIA's have 6screw trems.
Quote by JustRooster
It changes based upon models, but generally for today's models the MIM's have the 2 screw tremolo and the MIA's have 6screw trems.

Don't you mean the opposite? The only new style MIA Strats with 6 point trems are the Highway 1s and the American Specials.

Squier also uses 6 point trems on Affinities, etc., except on their "Standard" Strats which has a cheap copy of the MIA 2 point trem. I wonder if that would be a direct swap like the pick guards?

The 6 point is the vintage style and the 2 point is much more modern and reliable.

I'm not sure why anyone's talking trems here because neither Telecaster model the TS mentioned would have a trem anyway.
Bolt on necks are popular on teles. as far as i know thats not the best indicator of quality consistence. Look at the fretboard material. If it's maple, it's much more likely to be a genuine tele than a piece of dog shit copy. Check serial numbers, check bridge construction, check the knobs. these are much better indicators of quality than the neck design.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Bolt on necks are popular on teles. as far as i know thats not the best indicator of quality consistence. Look at the fretboard material. If it's maple, it's much more likely to be a genuine tele than a piece of dog shit copy. Check serial numbers, check bridge construction, check the knobs. these are much better indicators of quality than the neck design.

Popular? Yeah, like that's the original design, and 99.999999% of Teles have bolt on necks. I doubt Fender has made more than a handful with neckthrough, if that many, even. And we are talking 2 Fenders in the OP.

Also, it's a lot easier to find a maple neck than it is to change the decals--the decal change would require re-finishing and for that to look good, it would cost more than the profit a crook could make on it.

BTW, few Teles come with Strat headstocks and they're not MIA Standards or Highway 1s.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Dec 20, 2011,
didn't OP say he was going "tonight"? that was a few days ago... so what happened? did you like em? did you buy one or was there something hinky about the deal?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
didn't OP say he was going "tonight"? that was a few days ago... so what happened? did you like em? did you buy one or was there something hinky about the deal?

Hey, Zen, (off topic), have you had a chance to check out Rock Tiger over in the ROK yet?

Also keeping our fingers crossed for stability in the Peninsula in light of KJI's demise. I was there when KIS kicked over. KJI did all sorts of saber rattling to secure power that didn't make the news back home.
The guy got busy, or changed his mind. Sent me an email saying he'd be late but he'd call me in a while, which never happened.

Maybe he realized my 300$ ibanez 12 string wasn't a very good trade, idk.

I don't really care one way or another...now that i figured out what the deal was with my prs's pickup issue i have something new to keep me entertained for a few weeks. If he writes back i'll go check them out...but i'm not gonna stress about it.

I will be looking at getting a fender in the future one way or another...and appreciate all the pointers you guys have given me. I hate feeling like a noob and when it comes to fender products I really don't know much.
Quote by jetwash69
Hey, Zen, (off topic), have you had a chance to check out Rock Tiger over in the ROK yet?

Also keeping our fingers crossed for stability in the Peninsula in light of KJI's demise. I was there when KIS kicked over. KJI did all sorts of saber rattling to secure power that didn't make the news back home.

I haven't gotten to see them play live yet. i have their stuff, really dig them! I have been hitting up a lot of indie and punk shows here though. It took a while to find the music scene but it is alive here! Yeah, not too sure where this is going with KJI passing away, i know the DMZ and Seoul are on high alert. i think it is just a lot of posturing and it will be business as usual but who knows.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.