Near the beginning of the year I switched my laptop keyboard to a Dvorak layout (for those who don't know, it's a layout designed to be less stressful than the typical QWERTY - bear with me, I think it could be important). It took me a while to master, but after a few months I got really used to it, and haven't looked back ever since.

Last week, I started my internship in a company doing computer stuff. They gave me a computer fitted with a standard QWERTY keyboard. It was a pain at first, since I had gotten totally used to the alternative layout, but I didn't think much about it. A few days passed, but then the pain appeared: burning forearms, pain in the base of my hand after a few minutes of typing, loss of sensitivity in a few fingers. After years and years of programming and typing I find it strange that I developed a stress injury so fast. My theory is that I got too used to the more efficient typing of Dvorak and going back was too much stress for my softened limbs.

The first thing I did was booking an hour with a traumatologist, obviously, but in the meantime I have to cope with the pain, which impedes me from doing my normal life and, more importantly, from playing guitar. My wrists start to burn if I play for more than a few minutes and I can't do bends properly. Anyone got some tips on how to mitigate the pain, at the very least, until I get this sorted out? (I hope I don't need surgery )
Guitars: ESP LTD EX401-DX, Epi Explorer 1984, Schecter C-1 FR-S Platinum
Effects: a bunch
Amps: Crate Vintage Club 5310, Peave 6505+ 112
Is it tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome? If there's a burning pain in your wrists it sounds more like tendonitis. If you have tingling of pain in your three fingers but not your pinky, that would be a more solid indicator of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Don't play while there is any pain of any kind. At all.

If it hurts something is wrong and if something is wrong you should stop, there is no doubt about that at all.

Beyond that, ignore what anyone says on here, we aren't doctors and our advice on health matters should be taken as such: ignore it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Don't play while there is any pain of any kind. At all.

If it hurts something is wrong and if something is wrong you should stop, there is no doubt about that at all.

Beyond that, ignore what anyone says on here, we aren't doctors and our advice on health matters should be taken as such: ignore it.

Agreed, except for the 'we aren't doctors' part.

Seek professional medical help.
Ya go to a doctor, sometime those pinched nerves can be temporary...I had the twin of Carpel Tunnel(pinky and ring finger going numb), and i started wearing a brace to bed because apparently i tended to bend my wrist against my chest when i slept lol. It went away thankfully but Ya gotta work with a doctor on whats best.

If that other keyboard is better is it possible to just bring your own keyboard?
First - can you get a Dvorak keyboard for work? Tell them it's an RSI thing, shouldn't be a problem unless they're massive dicks.

Second - you might want to get lighter strings for the guitar. Makes fretting and bending much less physically stressful.

Third - check your posture! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg

Fourth - make sure you aren't using any more pressure to fret than is needed.

Fifth - take a break until you heal up or you'll just prolong the agony.