I'm going to be getting a tube amp soon (AC15C1) and I might have some money left over for a new guitar too.

Budget? - ~ $300-600, prefer to spend around $300-400 but I don't need it right away so I can save up if it's worth it.

Favorite Artists? - Alt rock. - Arctic Monkeys, Cymbals Eat Guitars, The Strokes, Yuck, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Wavves, Bass Drum of Death

Preferences? - Something different than a Strat. (I already have a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster in sunburst so I'd prefer a different color). Maple fretboard, I can do with a short or long scale neck.

Pickups? - Passive, preferably single coils, but I do like the sound of Les Pauls with the lower output alnico 2 pickups.

New or Used? - New unless there's an amazing deal.

Location? - Madison, WI

Current Gear? - Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster , AC15C1 (soon), fuzz, overdrive, and delay pedals.

I want something different in sound and looks to my guitar right now (I really like it but it would be fun to have something new). Currently I'm thinking of the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and the Squier Duo-Sonic. From what I've played I like the higher-end Squier models more than the cheap Fenders I don't really like the feel of SGs or cheaper Les Pauls.
I might look for a Gretsch Electromatic (I've seen 'em used for $500) or one of the Ibanez Artcores for something a bit different than what you have.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I might look for a Gretsch Electromatic (I've seen 'em used for $500) or one of the Ibanez Artcores for something a bit different than what you have.

I don't really like the feel or sound of hollowbodies. Do you think the guitars I mentioned would be really similar?
Thanks, but I can't get anything off ebay now 'cuz I'll being buying the guitar in January. I do like the Les Paul Ultra, I played one at GC a couple of months ago. I'm pretty sure I want a Jazzmaster.
At your price range, you're going to be limited. Take a look at the offerings from Sterling; see if they'll fit or find one used.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
TELECASTER!!!!

either a standard MIM tele (single coils) or a blacktop (lower output humbuckers) would suit your needs very well and both fall well within your budget. also, having played both against squire models, I believe that they play better than most every squire I've played
Quote by Polar13
Thanks, but I can't get anything off ebay now 'cuz I'll being buying the guitar in January. I do like the Les Paul Ultra, I played one at GC a couple of months ago. I'm pretty sure I want a Jazzmaster.

I recommend this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-electric-guitar/h77423000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=1100614872
It's pretty cheap, like a classic Jazzmaster(Not like the other Squier ones) and so much more value than what you're paying for in my opinion.

EDIT: I missed in the OP were said you were already thinking about the J Mascis already.. Anyways, it's still a great guitar and I highly recommend it.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Polar13
I don't really like the feel or sound of hollowbodies. Do you think the guitars I mentioned would be really similar?

I'm not familiar enough with the ones you mentioned to give you an informed opinion, but compared to what you already have, the ones I mentioned would be pretty different.

One thing you might consider if you're at all handy is a guitar kit. Carvin's kits are $450, and are very high quality. You might even choose to put in alternative pups...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by krehzeekid
TELECASTER!!!!

either a standard MIM tele (single coils) or a blacktop (lower output humbuckers) would suit your needs very well and both fall well within your budget. also, having played both against squire models, I believe that they play better than most every squire I've played

Have you seen the Modern Player Thinline Deluxe? It's a semi-hollow with Jazzmaster (maybe P90) pickups, looks pretty cool.

Quote by unicornfist
I recommend this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-electric-guitar/h77423000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=1100614872
It's pretty cheap, like a classic Jazzmaster(Not like the other Squier ones) and so much more value than what you're paying for in my opinion.

EDIT: I missed in the OP were said you were already thinking about the J Mascis already.. Anyways, it's still a great guitar and I highly recommend it.

Yeah that's definitely my top choice as of now next to the one I mentioned earlier ^.
Do you own it or have played one? Most of the demos on YouTube are meh because of the quality and setup.
If I get a Jazzmaster I want one with a tremolo, so that rules out the Vintage Modified.
Last edited by Polar13 at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by Polar13
Have you seen the Modern Player Thinline Deluxe? It's a semi-hollow with Jazzmaster (maybe P90) pickups, looks pretty cool.

Yeah that's definitely my top choice as of now next to the one I mentioned earlier ^.
Do you own it or have played one? Most of the demos on YouTube are meh because of the quality and setup.
If I get a Jazzmaster I want one with a tremolo, so that rules out the Vintage Modified.

I don't own it but I'm in the market looking for a guitar and it's def a top contender for myself, hell I might have even boiught it if it wasn't on hold for some one else..
It's definitely stays true to the classic Jazzmaster as much as I can tell.
Vintage Modified was good but like you I wanted a Tremelo... The tremelo seems pretty good on the Mascis model, too.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV