Im learning this song and the time signature is 4. How does this work? And I know it's not a misprint.
A time signature of '4' means nothing, unless it has a second part to it.

It usually looks like a fraction, where the top number denotes the number of beats, and the bottom number denotes the value of a single beat. For example, 4/4 means 4 beats (the top number) and each beat is worth a quaver (or, to use more contemporary terms, a quarter note, the bottom 4 in this case). Hence, one bar of 4/4 time equals four quarter notes, giving one 'whole'. This may be what is meant.

However, if the bottom number is an 8, or a 16, the value of a beat is an eighth or sixteenth note respectively. If the top number differs, eg 5/4, then there are 5 quarter notes in a measure.

In short, the time signature is incomplete.
Yeah I know about time signatures but this song only says 4. Its Etudes Simples no. 1 by Leo Brouwer
It works by counting to 4 and then crying.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Look at the number 4, look at how many beats there are in each bar, make an educated guess, success.
Quote by Dio10101
4 is usually slang for 4/4, I think.
As is "C" as well. ("common time").

This was actually a slam dunk as being 4/4 time, the music is showing 8, 8ths to a measure. "Ein", und, "Drie", und, "Zwie", und, "Vier", und..........
Quote by Captaincranky
As is "C" as well. ("common time").

This was actually a slam dunk as being 4/4 time, the music is showing 8, 8ths to a measure. "Ein", und, "Drie", und, "Zwie", und, "Vier", und..........

spricht Englisch.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by griffRG7321
Look at the number 4, look at how many beats there are in each bar, make an educated guess, success.

This.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by mynameiscris
Yeah I know about time signatures but this song only says 4. Its Etudes Simples no. 1 by Leo Brouwer

It's 4/4. I think my copy of it does have both 4s written, though I can't seem to find it now. Great piece, by the way. Watch out for the dynamics, they're a vital part of its sound.