Hej guys!

Has anyone had any experience with the Orange TH30? I'm planning on getting one because I need a new amp for band purposes. Can the amp be heard over a loud hard hitting drummer if I use it with a 4x12 cab? Can I use it on small to medium sized venues? Anything that I need to know of? I've really tried to search for information and reading reviews but I haven't really found any specific answers for my questions.

I would apreciate any kind of answer, thanks!
Depends. Do you need cleans? 30 Watts would be pushing it if you needed cleans but for distortion and breakup it would be great.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Depends. Do you need cleans? 30 Watts would be pushing it if you needed cleans but for distortion and breakup it would be great.

Thanks for the reply!

Well I don't really need sparky cleans when I'm band rehearsing but those clean sounds with a little overdrive would be nice to have if I could?
Last edited by robintiba at Dec 19, 2011,
Yeah it would work, just use your guitars volume knob if you need to get it a little cleaner.

Worse case scenario you can always be miced up.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Yeah it would work, just use your guitars volume knob if you need to get it a little cleaner.

Worse case scenario you can always be miced up.

Thanks a LOT! I'm really glad that you helped me out!!!
No worries they're good amps, actually on my consideration list of amps. It's a toss up between that or a Rockerverb.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by robintiba
Hej guys!

Has anyone had any experience with the Orange TH30? I'm planning on getting one because I need a new amp for band purposes. Can the amp be heard over a loud hard hitting drummer if I use it with a 4x12 cab? Can I use it on small to medium sized venues? Anything that I need to know of? I've really tried to search for information and reading reviews but I haven't really found any specific answers for my questions.

I would apreciate any kind of answer, thanks!

Tried it. Sounds good, I like them. Won't have a problem getting over a medium sized drum kit in a small/medium sized venue. It also depends on the style of music though & if the venue is open air or closed and mic'd or un-mic'd.

And whether you use a 2x12 or 4x12, the volume of the amp will be same through both, more speakers won't make an amp more louder.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Tried it. Sounds good, I like them. Won't have a problem getting over a medium sized drum kit in a small/medium sized venue. It also depends on the style of music though & if the venue is open air or closed and mic'd or un-mic'd.

And whether you use a 2x12 or 4x12, the volume of the amp will be same through both, more speakers won't make an amp more louder.

Thanks for the reply man! I didn't know about speaker thing, so if I will get the same volume with a 2x12 and 4x12 what's the diffrence in having two speakers instead of four?

The amp will often be mic'd up during gigs, but it's more the band rehearsal thing that concerns me, if the amp can handle that then I'm satisfied!
Quote by robintiba
Thanks for the reply man! I didn't know about speaker thing, so if I will get the same volume with a 2x12 and 4x12 what's the diffrence in having two speakers instead of four?

The amp will often be mic'd up during gigs, but it's more the band rehearsal thing that concerns me, if the amp can handle that then I'm satisfied!

A 4x12 cab helps to spread the sound a bit better than a 2x12 cab. You also get more clean headroom with a 4x12, speaker breakup occurs a bit later with using the same speakers in either cab. Normally when you see a full stack on stage, its purpose is not to double the stage volume the amp is producing, but to rather spread the sound better across the stage. There are other important things like speaker efficiency, sensitivity, etc. related to the topic but I’d rather not go in detail about those.
Your clean tones may suffer but your overdriven & high gain sounds won’t be affected by much in the volume department, since you said your drummer hits hard.

You could look into other amps as well, unless you’re after the Orange tone. Also I’ve not heard the TH30 in a band context; I’ve been able to play through it at a store. I doubt it will have issues getting heard in a mix. The EQ options on it are a bit limited IMO. What sort of sounds are you exactly going for? A few band examples would help & is this your first tube amp?
Quote by steven_ferns84
A 4x12 cab helps to spread the sound a bit better than a 2x12 cab. You also get more clean headroom with a 4x12, speaker breakup occurs a bit later with using the same speakers in either cab. Normally when you see a full stack on stage, its purpose is not to double the stage volume the amp is producing, but to rather spread the sound better across the stage. There are other important things like speaker efficiency, sensitivity, etc. related to the topic but I’d rather not go in detail about those.
Your clean tones may suffer but your overdriven & high gain sounds won’t be affected by much in the volume department, since you said your drummer hits hard.

You could look into other amps as well, unless you’re after the Orange tone. Also I’ve not heard the TH30 in a band context; I’ve been able to play through it at a store. I doubt it will have issues getting heard in a mix. The EQ options on it are a bit limited IMO. What sort of sounds are you exactly going for? A few band examples would help & is this your first tube amp?

I'm really glad that you're taking your time to help me! It means a lot!

Okay I see, everything makes sense to me now!

Well I'm really into that old school sound, more vintage kind or what you want to call it. I don't like the extreme high gain sounds and that digital line 6 distortion that many get today.

I'm on a 650$ budget (which is exactly what the TH30 costs) so I don't have many alternatives between diffrent amps and I've tried to look after other amps but the Orange seems to be the best amp I can get for the money I have. Yes this is my first tube amp, I've played on tube amps before but never owned one myself. It sucks that the TH30 has a limited EQ but there are so many people that seems to be satisfied and happy with it.

Well hard rock, blues, 60's, 70's, 80's rock, that kind of stuff! Guns N' Roses, Airbourne, The Darkness, Jimi Hendrix are a few bands that I like to be able to sound like.

Thanks again man!
$650 is quite good for the head, considering they go for around $1100 new.
For those styles, you could also look into Marshall DSL401 & Laney VC30/50. Blackstar HT40/60 also sounds good, although it isn't all tube like as advertised.
What I'd suggest is delete this thread and start a new what amp thread providing all the info needed in this sticky https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
You will get more suggestions this way & you can broaden your amp search list. To delete the thread, Edit the original first post & select delete/remove