Hey guys, I didn't know if this would be the right place for this, but here we go.

Alright, so right now I'm playing through a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo with a Maxon OD808 and a Boss NS-2. The guitar of choice would be the Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 with the stock Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1's.

My "issue" is that I can't seem to get a nice tight tone out of my amp. I'm running the pedals from the OD808 to the NS-2 straight into my amp's imput. I've tried to run them through the effects loop but half of the distortion seems to just disappear even if I crank everything.

I managed to get fantastic cleans out of it somehow, but I'm still not satisfied with my lead channel.

Here's the settings I have on it right now:

Presence: 6.5
Resonance: 1

High: 6.5
Mid: 5
Low: 6
Pre: 6

OD808:

overdrive: 2 o' clock
balance: 2 o' clock
tone: 10 o' clock

I have the NS-2 set to get rid of as much noise as possible so that I can do quick mutes like Veil of Maya.

Here's some examples of the tone I'd like to achieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utK-qmWa4jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ml_O1iPAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wit6zgu0r3Q

Help?
I would say this belongs in the GG&A forum, but as long as it's here:

OD's in front of a metal amp aren't going to tighten the sound unless you leave the gain very low, the volume very high, and the tone to taste. The 6505 needs an OD to tighten it up IMO, but you're not supposed to use the OD to get a lot of gain; dail in your tone on your amp to taste, then knock back the gain a little ways, THEN engage the OD with the settings as described above: high volume, very low overdrive, then tweak the tone as desired.

If you can't get a tight sound out of the amp STILL, I'd suggest lowering your gain more or practice tightening your technique more.
Should I try that running it through the effects loop?

My problem is that I mainly practice at home, so I can't set the volume very high because I live in an apartment. However, at practice when I do crank it, the amp sounds almost completely different. The distortion ends up having like a scratchy sound to it. The lows, mids, and highs all sound nice, but the distortion still doesn't quite get to the tightness I need without it starting to sound like a Thrash Metal type of distortion.
I would suggest replacing the stock speaker in the 6505 combo. Its a Sheffield speaker, it would recommend getting a Celestion Vintage 30 or a Lynchback. It gets rid ofhe muddiness in the amp and makes the distortion tight with clarity.
Wouldn't that void the warranty? I have a 3 year protection plan that I paid for, so I don't want to just throw that away.
use the od to control the tone, not the gain have the gai at nearly 0. Cut the bass alittle more and boost the trebble.
Quote by yoimer06
Should I try that running it through the effects loop?

My problem is that I mainly practice at home, so I can't set the volume very high because I live in an apartment. However, at practice when I do crank it, the amp sounds almost completely different. The distortion ends up having like a scratchy sound to it. The lows, mids, and highs all sound nice, but the distortion still doesn't quite get to the tightness I need without it starting to sound like a Thrash Metal type of distortion.

Not the volume of the amp, the volume on the OD pedal! Sorry for the confusion.

You don't need that much gain to get a tight sound, and you only need a TOUCH of gain from your OD pedal. Set the volume (which is labeled "balance" on the 808) high, the overdrive low, and the tone where ya like it. That's how to use an OD pedal to tighten up an amp.

Look at this dudes video on it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVWa3xBCZ4

As you can see, using ODs to tighten amps isn't a huuuuuuge difference, but if you're used to hearing and playing metal, it can really add an edge that's easily discernible.

EDIT - Swapping the speaker can make a big difference too, as the guy above pointed out, although if tightness is the primary modulation you're looking to make I'd get a g12k-100 instead of the v30. I've used both in my amps/cabs and the g12k-100 is considerably more powerful and/or tighter on the low end.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 18, 2011,
This helped quite a bit, I've gotten closer to the tone I'm really looking for. However I think that the speaker may be the main issue because everything except for the really chords sounds just fine. I play in a very low tuning, so I really need that low end to stick out more clearly especially while playing faster riffs and such.
I would also recommend switching from that NS-2 to a Decimator if you can. I've heard the boss noise suppressors are serious tone succubi.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Switching to the decimator seems to be quite a suggestion I've seen lately. Several people with the same amp I use are recommending it as well, guess I'll have to do that over christmas thanks for the suggestion.