Hey how's it going everyone. I have been playing for about a year now, and I don't see me slowing down any time soon. I have a Yamaha Folk that I bought as my guitar that I take to class with me. My teacher has a beautiful Breedlove guitar, us made. It sounds amazing and I love the action on the fretboard, it feels a lot like an electric guitar neck but still it sounds amazing. I do plan to get a model that has a electric jack on it, but it will be one that has the pickup under the saddle so none of the solid woods are cut out for controls.

So I just wanted to get anyones thoughts on the US made Breedloves, I have seen the models I like ranging anywhere from $1500-2000. I dont have a problem with that really, as I'm looking for a guitar that will last my lifetime and something I might even hand down to kids if I ever have them.

After watching quite a few videos on there US shop, and talking to them on Facebook and even talking to customer support, I kinda have a soft spot for the company, they really seem like great guitars and great people to support..

I know theres a few other brands I have taken a look at too, but most places around here dont have any to "test drive" I have been looking at Collings guitars and Larrivee guitars, any opinions on those also would be helpful! right now I'm playing lots of different styles of music so I don't really need something thats made for a certain style . Thanks
Last edited by nickni at Dec 18, 2011,
my friends $4500 dollar Breedlove is beautiful... thought about stealing it cuz he has insurance on it but w/e. I love them a lot
after looking for years, i finally settled on an american breedlove (c25 creh - i did the review on it on the site). to me, it was my ideal guitar. i've compared it to literally everything from taylor, gibson, and martin to larrive, cole clark, and stonebridge, as well as some hand built guitars that cost several thousand more than i paid for mine.

my guitar is absolutely amazing. i love that thing to death and i get so many compliments about the way it looks, sounds and plays that its a little unreal. i regularly bring it in to a local shop and the guys almost fight over who gets to play it first (i go often enough that we've known each other by name for years). i have nothing but good things to say. and having owned it for only a few months, i have only one complaint that really shouldn't be one. i've noticed that it seems to actually resonate MORE now than when i have bought it (or at least, i have become more aware of it). when i play standing up, i have to have it more over my hip than my stomach because otherwise, the resonance from the body just tickels too much!! i know, really dumb "problem" but i just thought i would point it out.

so yeah, in short, this guitar was my dream guitar. its tone is very balanced, yet has an incredible low end that most guitars are lacking imo. playability wise, its second only to Cole Clark guitars, but those play like electrics. mine is very easy to play though.

if you would like some sound clips of mine, i can send them to you. i have one recording on my youtube account (little wonders cover) but its been heavily processed.

EDIT:

with everything i have said, you really should play one before you buy. A LOT more shops are carrying them now than even a year or two ago. they've really started to explode since they started producing their passport series guitars. also, since you have mentioned you like Larrivee, are there any particular models you like best? i'm very familiar with them and might be able to help you out. they're another brand that makes very unique sounding guitars. in comparison to my breedlove, i would say a majority of larrivee guitars had less volume, and less low end. they have a touch more mid highs in their sound so chords really ring out. (i'm speaking of their guitars in general, so of course, there is a lot of variation in this statement depending on the models you try).
Last edited by User_Name336 at Dec 19, 2011,
Sure man, I will check it out. I know my teacher plays fingerstyle and picking on his as well, both ways it sounds amazing, he always has it amped up at shows he plays in quite a few country/folk/rock bands.

I think it will be a huge step up for me, and it will feel so much better to play! I have been looking at the concert style "american" series that was discontinued recently. I think it has a redwood cedar top and herringbone around the edges... man Im getting excited just thinking about it.

My only worry I'm gonna have to "blind" purchase it online, since no where has any of the models left I want since they stopped making it (I read online it was costing them money to make them because it was priced so reasonable)

Keep the thoughts coming everyone. I'm not trying to justify my choice, I really just wanna weight all my options. This more then likely will be the only guitar I ever get to spend this much on.
Quote by User_Name336

EDIT:

with everything i have said, you really should play one before you buy. A LOT more shops are carrying them now than even a year or two ago. they've really started to explode since they started producing their passport series guitars. also, since you have mentioned you like Larrivee, are there any particular models you like best? i'm very familiar with them and might be able to help you out. they're another brand that makes very unique sounding guitars. in comparison to my breedlove, i would say a majority of larrivee guitars had less volume, and less low end. they have a touch more mid highs in their sound so chords really ring out. (i'm speaking of their guitars in general, so of course, there is a lot of variation in this statement depending on the models you try).

Hmm, No I havn't even got to check one out in person, seems like no stores around here carry either I talked about. Right now most the songs I play is chords and strumming parts, but were working on more then that now. The problem with playing breedlove in person at the store is no local stores carry the "american" series anymore here. I do not want my guitar made in anywhere but the US... I would like to get one of the better models by breedlove, but I dont have enough to afford a "Master" series.
i have the model you were looking at. and sadly, yes it was discontinued. but they are constantly bringing it back. i've also heard the money theory, but i dont believe it. this one gets discontinued every time they run out of supply of the cedar i think. they seem to have a production run of about every 12-15 months then cut it for about the same period only to start it up again. its been happening since they were still making it as a Pro series. the american should be very easy to find since they aren't real big sellers. most people still dont know the Breedlove name so they're hesitant to buy one. you should be able to find one if you start contacting shops that have breedlove.

and are you sure nobody within driving distance has one?

EDIT: you responded to my question/statements before i had a chance to read it (you responded as i was typing this) so disregard parts of that post.
Last edited by User_Name336 at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by User_Name336
i have the model you were looking at. and sadly, yes it was discontinued. but they are constantly bringing it back. i've also heard the money theory, but i dont believe it. this one gets discontinued every time they run out of supply of the cedar i think. they seem to have a production run of about every 12-15 months then cut it for about the same period only to start it up again. its been happening since they were still making it as a Pro series. the american should be very easy to find since they aren't real big sellers. most people still dont know the Breedlove name so they're hesitant to buy one. you should be able to find one if you start contacting shops that have breedlove.

and are you sure nobody within driving distance has one?

EDIT: you responded to my question/statements before i had a chance to read it (you responded as i was typing this) so disregard parts of that post.

Im gonna call around here in a few weeks when I got cash in hand, one other thing is the fact if I order it online I can save almost $500 off what I'm gonna pay at a retail shop (plus state tax on something that high is gonna suck too) So meh, I'm at that crossroad now too. I did talk to breedlove on facebook and there customer service, and what worrys me is they said that the next line of the american series "might not be the same as the previous models" because I asked them about the cost issue, and they prettymuch confirmed they were doing less models of it, and possibly on a cheaper scale "to keep being able to make Breedlove for years to come" so that sounds like a money issue to me...

As much as Id love to wait for the newest model, that makes it somewhat sketchy and I think I might just hunt down one of the already made American series online or local.
yeah, honestly that doesn't sound too great to me. times are getting tough and its quite obvious. a few years ago they were doing just master and a few other guitars on a budget, but now they've had to expand to beginner guitars just to keep afloat. i know one of the changes they made to my line of american guitars was switch from a bone to tusq nut, so for me, its not a deal breaker but it did show signs of some money problems i guess...

yeah, if you're worried about the quality of the guitar going down, i would suggest you try and track one down. like i said, i chose mine over guitars that cost several thousand dollars more than mine did. i just found the bang for the buck was too good to pass up.

i must suggest you try out a few Stonebridge guitars. quite a few of the worlds top fingerstyle players are using them, and i was very close to buying one. the only reason i went with the breedlove over the stronebridge i wanted was i got a deal i could not pass up. i found a breedlove with some overspray on the headstock and they dropped the price by about 35%
Oh wow sounds like a good deal, the model I was looking at is about $1999 retail and I found it online w/ coupon and no tax for about $1500. I guess worst case is I dont really like the one I get in the mail I have to pay shipping for a return, that's not to bad for saving quite a bit of cash.

A couple places with it still online has decent customer service, I might just give em a call and talk to them about the one they will send me and maybe have em double check it over for any kind of defects or if it just dont sound right. I was pretty upset when I seen Musician's Friend stopped carrying it because I was gonna use a 15% off coupon, on a already cheapest online price. Oh well.
Im not knocking the beginner lineup, from what I read even though there made in Korea there supposed to be over very very good build quality, I guess they sent some staff out there to make sure they were building them to there idea of what it should be. I guess they also have the final setup done here at the custom shop and each one is "looked over" so that's still much better then a lot of companys do with there overseas lineup. If I didn't already have a beater guitar I might just go with one of the lower end models.

My teacher has a guy that does all his guitar setups and repairs, I have talked to him switching out my stock plastic nut and saddle on this Yamaha for a bone one, hes not too expensive. You think that would be a upgrade worth doing to the Breedlove with Tusq, or maybe leave well off alone?
Last edited by nickni at Dec 19, 2011,
You're probably better off asking around the acoustic guitar forum. UG is full of shredding metalheads who don't know the first thing about acoustic guitars.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
You're probably better off asking around the acoustic guitar forum. UG is full of shredding metalheads who don't know the first thing about acoustic guitars.

this is very true. when i was debating buying my guitar, they were very helpful and i ended up in contact with a local acoustic builder who i didn't know existed!! while the guys on UG were telling me to "buy a yamaha fg 300 then buy a new electric/amp with the left over" or "go for Taylor 110 series/Martin/Gibson because they're the best acoustic guitars ever made etc etc".

just remember you have to take everything everybody says (myself included here) with some skepticism and a grain of salt. just because one guitar is my dream guitar doesn't mean you'll love it. you could hate it. play everything we suggest and things we forget about. DO NOT judge by brand, woods or price. one of the best sounding guitars i ever heard was a $245 no name guitar. unfortunately it didn't have a cutaway or pickup, both of which were mandatory for my needs at the time.

and honestly, i dont really think the tusq to bone upgrade is really worth it. my guitar stays in tune for over a month (when i leave it in one tuning, which is almost never). i'm usually going between open db and eb standard (as well as a few others, just less often) and i never have any tuning problems with it. nor is the resonance a problem with my guitar (it tickles too much! lol) the ONLY thing i would change on the guitar is having a smaller end pin (the plug in jack end pin) because a standard strap will not fit over it easily and i had to take a jigsaw to my (leather) strap and widen out the hole. minor problem at first but its not an issue anymore.

keep me informed about any decisions you make and what the acoustic guys say. i would really love to hear how your search goes and what they have to say. i'm a huge acoustic guy and have played just about every acoustic guitar available for purchase in ontario. when you start considering a few more options, i would be very happy to help guide you in your search
Last edited by User_Name336 at Dec 21, 2011,
I've never played an american made Breedlove, but I played a $499 Korean made Breedlove the other day and it sounded as good if not better than a $1500 Taylor I played.
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I've never played an american made Breedlove, but I played a $499 Korean made Breedlove the other day and it sounded as good if not better than a $1500 Taylor I played.

Nice, what model do you remember? I know the MIK models are still really well made from what I have read.
they are. my girlfriend has one with maple back and sides, and a spruce top. it sounds good for a guitar that was less than $400. it was by far the easiest playing guitar, which is why she chose it. we were hunting every day for two weeks and went all over southern ontario to find one she liked, and in the last possible store we could have gone, she found the one she got. she bought it without thought and yeah.

her budget was $850 CND and ended up with a cheap breedlove because she found it to be the best overall value.

i know this doesn't exactly help in any way, but i still suggest you play everything and anything because just because we like something doesn't mean you will. and just because you like/hate a particular brand doesnt mean you'll like/hate every guitar they make. each one has its own personality so play things that you normally wouldnt as well

how has the hunt been going though? get to try anything out yet?
Quote by nickni
Nice, what model do you remember? I know the MIK models are still really well made from what I have read.

It was a C250CM Grand Concert w/ a cutaway. I didn't get a chance to play it plugged in, but I was more concerned with how it sounded unplugged anyways. I'll probably go back on Sun and play it again and possibly purchase it. I'm still amazed at how clean and defined it sounded.
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
It was a C250CM Grand Concert w/ a cutaway. I didn't get a chance to play it plugged in, but I was more concerned with how it sounded unplugged anyways. I'll probably go back on Sun and play it again and possibly purchase it. I'm still amazed at how clean and defined it sounded.

Awesome, I hope it works out for you!
Quote by nickni
Awesome, I hope it works out for you!

Thanks! Good luck in your search for a new guitar! And by the way, today I was at a local music shop and on of the employees pulled out a US made breedlove and let me play it. It was a fantastic guitar, but I'm not sure that it was worth $1500 more than the one I played at guitarcenter.

Happy new year!
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
Thanks! Good luck in your search for a new guitar! And by the way, today I was at a local music shop and on of the employees pulled out a US made breedlove and let me play it. It was a fantastic guitar, but I'm not sure that it was worth $1500 more than the one I played at guitarcenter.

Happy new year!

I prefer to have at least one of my guitars 100% made in the good ol USA. Funny how thats a rare thing now...