i am going to be teaching my lessons and am still spreading the information around. obviously this is probably the best time of year to find new students, because it is a somewhat common gift (i am sure that some of us got our first guitar for christmas). i have gotten a couple of calls of parents inquiring what they need and if they should get a starter pack. if they ask which brand what is a good safe choice? what would recommend.

i [don't have a way to say it without sounding like a jerk] live in an upper-class neighborhood. i wouldn't be suprised to see some students with a Gibson or some more expencive guitars. but what should i recommend to people who call and ask?

would you say to get a Squier 'stratpack' type of thing that i started, as it is all inclusive and of enough quality to entertain a beginner for a little while.

only bad sign is we have two small shops near one ONLY sells deans, one ONLY ibanez.

should i suggest they order online and tell them that they are a trustful company?

or should i just pray they dont walk into my studio with the Dean 'starting up' pack.

keep in mind some of my students will likly be younger (10 and older is all i will do).

thanks, i know this is kind of a weird one but go for it!

SHORT VERSION:

recommend guitars to new students who likely will get a guitar under the Christmas tree. starter pack? buy things separate? but i dont think it would be that easy because the parent likely doesn't know everything you need.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Starter packs are really dumb imo. But, then again it'd all really depend on their budget, whether rich or not all parents will put money into their kid and espcially if they're that young, but then I could be wrong about that. I started with the cheapest (full scale I might add) squier and a Line 6 Spider III, because that's all I could really afford/needed when I was starting off. As for ordering off the internet, sure you get a lot more variety but, they wouldn't be able to get their hands on it to try it. Also, places like Guitarcenter.com, samash.com, musiciansfriend.com, etc. would work out.
Quote by P3NGu1N
Starter packs are really dumb imo. But, then again it'd all really depend on their budget, whether rich or not all parents will put money into their kid and espcially if they're that young, but then I could be wrong about that. I started with the cheapest (full scale I might add) squier and a Line 6 Spider III, because that's all I could really afford/needed when I was starting off. As for ordering off the internet, sure you get a lot more variety but, they wouldn't be able to get their hands on it to try it. Also, places like Guitarcenter.com, samash.com, musiciansfriend.com, etc. would work out.

i started with a Squier Strat Pack. $260 back in '02 affinity strat and a 15g amp. worked up my way from there.

the only reason i would ever really recommend a starter pack if for somebody who doesn't know all of what is needed. i don't think there are too many parents that go Christmas guitar shopping at a store and walk out of there without several essentials. they may not think of a tuner or a cable or picks, etc. they would probably have no idea to get for an amp. wouldn't know what size what sound their kid wants,etc. i just think it would be easier to buy a 'starter pack'

i dont want to waste their money, but dont want to confuse them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i started with a Squier Strat Pack. $260 back in '02 affinity strat and a 15g amp. worked up my way from there.

the only reason i would ever really recommend a starter pack if for somebody who doesn't know all of what is needed. i don't think there are too many parents that go Christmas guitar shopping at a store and walk out of there without several essentials. they may not think of a tuner or a cable or picks, etc. they would probably have no idea to get for an amp. wouldn't know what size what sound their kid wants,etc. i just think it would be easier to buy a 'starter pack'

i dont want to waste their money, but dont want to confuse them.

Starter packs are fine. I started with a Squier Strat pack as well, Affinity Series, 15g amp as well.
i started with a esp ltd m-15 and upgraded a couple months later, so its good to get some decent to begin with.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by P3NGu1N

God no. Shut up.

TS look into the Peavey Raptor pack, Ibanez GIO pack or the Squier pack with the G-Dec junior amp. Either the Peavey or the Squier one have the best amps and include a HSS strat guitar. Inexpensive and nice starter guitars/amps.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i'd recommend they get an acoustic. yamaha, ibanez or fender if they're looking for a budget entry level guitar that will carry them until they're ready to drop 600+ on a better one.

i'm also wondering if this is a serious thread...why would there be a dean only guitar store in a high class part of town. turn all the local kids into heavy metal punks. there goes the neighbourhood.
Quote by Eppicurt
God no. Shut up.

TS look into the Peavey Raptor pack, Ibanez GIO pack or the Squier pack with the G-Dec junior amp. Either the Peavey or the Squier one have the best amps and include a HSS strat guitar. Inexpensive and nice starter guitars/amps.

happy! happy! joy! joy! peavey! peavey! lol.

its funny that you mention peavey. i pulled this guitar down from up in my closet, a Peavey USA Horizon II (IIRC 1982) its mint and it plays awesome.

does the peavey pack come with a vypyr?

Squier with G-Dec would probably be the best.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by mike_oxbig
i'd recommend they get an acoustic. yamaha, ibanez or fender if they're looking for a budget entry level guitar that will carry them until they're ready to drop 600+ on a better one.

i'm also wondering if this is a serious thread...why would there be a dean only guitar store in a high class part of town. turn all the local kids into heavy metal punks. there goes the neighbourhood.

Rambling Rhodes music 34655 is the zip search it if you want to.

i know Joe Rhodes (hence the name) i head over and chat once in a while, i took some guitar lessons from him five or six years ago.

his business is not winning by pushing guitars, it is winning because at any given moment 11am to 9 at night there are 6 or so kids taking lessons there. $25 or $30 for a half hour. the only gear he pushes are those crappy Dean starter packs. he has lots of students.

you do realize that being a dealer has requirements don't you. Dean is probably one of the easier companies to become a dealer for, thats why he probably chose them.

some companies expect $20,000 down right away and that you buy at least that amount again within the year.

edit: i. prefer starting them on an electric. i get better results that way. if they want to start on acoustic its more than fine, just not what i do. personal preference as teacher.

this is more of an lol down here

also if all it took was $20,000 to start being a Gibson dealer, i would get a business licence, dress up a store front and close two weeks later, buy my company's assets personally at a much lower price, shut the door. transfer funds and i would be set for life and have a nice personal collection of Gibsons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 19, 2011,
sounds lame. I'm gonna open up a consignment shop one day for all the unappreciated christmas and birthday presents. i'll be rich.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
happy! happy! joy! joy! peavey! peavey! lol.

its funny that you mention peavey. i pulled this guitar down from up in my closet, a Peavey USA Horizon II (IIRC 1982) its mint and it plays awesome.

does the peavey pack come with a vypyr?

Squier with G-Dec would probably be the best.

Nope, it comes with a Backstage II which is miles ahead of any starter amps in other packs. Also added benefit of the 5 year warranty.

There is a bit of a price difference though, in Aus here it's about $200 difference between the two (peavey being cheaper)
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Nope, it comes with a Backstage II which is miles ahead of any starter amps in other packs. Also added benefit of the 5 year warranty.

There is a bit of a price difference though, in Aus here it's about $200 difference between the two (peavey being cheaper)

i will have to see here.
$250 for the squier with frontman
$350 for the squier with g-dec
$250 Peavey Vypyr

they have a Peavey/Vypyr pack $250, but the guitar is a single humbucker, with a fender style trem and might not be as visually pleasing, but the vypyr is nice for that.

now that i am thinking of it, would it be better to just get them started with something really simple. i would rather having a student practice for an adequate amount of time than playing with an amp an not understanding anything (they wouldn't know different amp models, effects, and what different knobs did).

i dont know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'd go full service and use some of the usual questions we typically ask here:
  • Budget
  • What kind of music
  • Potential stick-to-itiveness of the son or daughter to playing guitar
  • Type of music the kid likes
  • Assess what the parents can really afford

I'd order the gear myself if the parents prefer that I handle the details. Depending on the combination of answers above, I'd go all out for the wealthier ones all the way to toned down for the not so wealthy ones. I've only taught 1 spoiled brat for pay and we bought a Gibson SG '61 RI, a Fender MIA Standard Strat and a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II half stack.

Quote by Ippon
  • Budget
  • What kind of music

I'd order the gear myself if the parents prefer that I handle the details. Depending on the combination of answers above, I'd go all out for the wealthier ones all the way to toned down for the not so wealthy ones. I've only taught 1 spoiled brat for pay and we bought a Gibson SG '61 RI, a Fender MIA Standard Strat and a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II half stack.

Pretty much this.

If you can, go into the store with the people and pick something out, but don't be too controlling over the purchase, let the nice man do his job at the store. I've had plenty of teachers come in with students and it's actually benefited them so they know they're buying in confidence.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
First of all, I think many of the suggestions up thread are spot on.

That said, I'll be an odd man out on the amp side- not that the ones suggested are bad, because they're not.

But instead of an amp, I'd recommend something like a Korg Pandora, a Line6 POD, or a Tascam GT-R1...or anything similar. That was my path going from all acoustic into my electrics.

Advantages:

1) portable- makes it easier for students to find practice space & time.

2) less expensive than most decent amps.

3) some record, either to internal memory, a removable media chip, or directly to computer. Some record multiple ways. The more computer savvy the student, the more this may appeal.

4) nearly all have some kind of tuner and metronome; most also include a variety of rhythms to play along with

5) since they are used with headphones, students will not disturb parents, siblings, pets...or neighbors.

6) different models have unique features. For example, the Tascam can be used as a phrase trainer, slowing down recorded passages making it easier to learn difficult sections.

After playing acoustics for years, I bought my first electrics and a Korg Px4 3 years before I bought an amp. The Korg's modeling functions helped me decide what kinds of sounds I most liked when playing my own stuff...and thus, helped shape my decision-making process on which amps & effects to look at.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Ippon
  • Budget
  • What kind of music

i agree, but lots of those are too much of a variable. i will certainly ask what kind of music they listen to. i project i will be teaching younger kids (10 and up), so their musical preference could change very fast. what 10 year old listens to the same music they do when they are 14 or 16, etc. i think the most important s that the guitar is easy to play, i will give it a good setup for sure. they probably care most about looks.

keep in mind some potentials may have already bought something.

also it wouldn't suprise me to see a kid with a $2-3k guitar because his dad walks into a music store and feels the need to get the best for his kid.

also its around a week from christmas, so there could be some last minute shoppers.

way off topic and lolz

i sold a peavey solid state head and cheap 4x12" to a neighbor who just said how does $500 sound, i paid less than that new five or so years ago. i was pleased and informed him that it wasn't that expensive, he hands me the money. i am in his room which has four guitars on the wall. one Gibson LP Custom, the Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom, and a presumably a very expensive PRS with some crazy flamed top, and the signature custom shop Fender SRV guitar. he wanted my amp so he could plug his mfx into he liked his MFX because it has patches on it for different guitarists or bands.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
First of all, I think many of the suggestions up thread are spot on.

That said, I'll be an odd man out on the amp side- not that the ones suggested are bad, because they're not.

But instead of an amp, I'd recommend something like a Korg Pandora, a Line6 POD, or a Tascam GT-R1...or anything similar. That was my path going from all acoustic into my electrics.

i think you definitely have a well thought out concept, and for some it could be the best thing. i will definitely keep that in mind.

my only worry about that is that they will spend too much time playing with the unit and not practicing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
my only worry about that is that they will spend too much time playing with the unit and not practicing.

GUILTY!

At least at first. But over time, that changed. Especially since, at least in certain cases, I could dial up amp & effects combos that closely mimicked the sonic structures of the songs I was learning. For some, learning "Bridge of Sighs" may be more fun when what THEY play sounds a lot like what Robin Trower played.

Easier & cheaper to do with one of those gizmos than buying amp & pedal setups for all their favorite musicians...

It won't be for everyone, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

It occurs to me that there are smartphone apps that may do some of the same stuff as devices like the POD or Korg.

And for the technophiles with a big bankroll who already have some gear but have a taste for more, you might suggest that new DigiTech iPB-10 multieffects pedal with downloadable amp/pedal models for the iPad.

(Something I'm considering for myself, FWIW.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

GUILTY!

At least at first.
But over time, that changed. Especially since, at least in certain cases, I could dial up amp & effects combos that closely mimicked the sonic structures of the songs I was learning. For some, learning "Bridge of Sighs" may be more fun when what THEY play sounds a lot like what Robin Trower played.

Easier & cheaper to do with one of those gizmos than buying amp & pedal setups for all their favorite musicians...

It won't be for everyone, though.

It occurs to me that there are smartphone apps that may do some of the same stuff as devices like the POD or Korg.

And for the technophiles with a big bankroll who already have some gear but have a taste for more, you might suggest that new DigiTech iPB-10 multieffects pedal with downloadable amp/pedal models for the iPad.

(Something I'm considering for myself, FWIW.)

as far as personal experiance teaching is that if the kid is not progressing while taking lessons from one person they may look for a different teacher.

i haven't really had a problem with it except for one time, the mom asks, "is he getting better?" me: "he hasn't really been improving, is he practicing?" mom "maybe this isn't the thing for him." i lost the student.

in that scenario, his parents were wasting money, he was literally learning really basic power chord stuff for over eight weeks, like smells like teen spirit.

*i know that was kind of off topic, but i want to minimize situations like that.*

Thats another idea, kind of like iRig for iphones.or Korg unit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Eppicurt
+1. I'd recommend an Ibanez Gio starter pack over a Squier pack anyday. Don't have experience with Peavey's packs, but they look decent as well. All I know is this one guy I knew in high school who started playing guitar at the time, and he had an Ibanez RG-styled Gio that played surprisingly smooth, and the action wasn't 50' above the strings like most other beginner guitars .

Though I wouldn't recommend any pack that comes with a Vypyr. Sorry, but no beginner should have a Vypyr as their first amp. Far too complex and confusing for someone with such limited experience, almost as complex as the instrument itself. Even the manual is too confusing for a beginner. A beginner doesn't know what good tone sounds like. All they are familiar with is "no distortion" and "lots of distortion". A small starter mini amp with a 6" speaker is well enough for a beginner
Quote by Ian_the_fox
+1. I'd recommend an Ibanez Gio starter pack over a Squier pack anyday. Don't have experience with Peavey's packs, but they look decent as well. All I know is this one guy I knew in high school who started playing guitar at the time, and he had an Ibanez RG-styled Gio that played surprisingly smooth, and the action wasn't 50' above the strings like most other beginner guitars .

Though I wouldn't recommend any pack that comes with a Vypyr. Sorry, but no beginner should have a Vypyr as their first amp. Far too complex and confusing for someone with such limited experience, almost as complex as the instrument itself. Even the manual is too confusing for a beginner. A beginner doesn't know what good tone sounds like. All they are familiar with is "no distortion" and "lots of distortion". A small starter mini amp with a 6" speaker is well enough for a beginner

that is what i am thinking. and have been looking for opinions on.

i will check out the ibanez pack, but probably go affinity squier with frontman for recommentations.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
as far as personal experiance teaching is that if the kid is not progressing while taking lessons from one person they may look for a different teacher.

i haven't really had a problem with it except for one time, the mom asks, "is he getting better?" me: "he hasn't really been improving, is he practicing?" mom "maybe this isn't the thing for him." i lost the student.

in that scenario, his parents were wasting money, he was literally learning really basic power chord stuff for over eight weeks, like smells like teen spirit.

*i know that was kind of off topic, but i want to minimize situations like that.*

Thats another idea, kind of like iRig for iphones.or Korg unit.

Here y'go.

Jam
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

iRig
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irig/iphone/