Poll Options
View poll results: Give man money?
Si
33 47%
No
37 53%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
Say you're in a fairly big city and you're sitting in your car at a gas station. A man walks up and asks to roll your window down so he can talk to you. He goes on to tell a story about how he's working in the city while his family lives out of town and he just found out that his wife and kid got into a wreck and he needs 35 bucks for a bus ticket so he can go see them. He says sorry for having to ask and appears to be breaking down into tears, getting the quivering voice and such.

Do you trust his story and give him some money, or are you cynical and refuse to believe that he's not a con artist?

Two of my friends and I were put in this situation today. We all pitched in and managed to get him the money that he said he needed for bus fare. I would without hesitation say that it was worth the risk.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'd give him 5 or ten bucks
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I've given so much money out to people who ask for it in the city. I'm a bottomless pit of empathy, and a bit of an idiot.

One time I didn't have any money and a homeless man was asking me to buy him food, so I gave him like six granola bars and other assorted snack packs out of my backpack.
depends on how much I can spare

but this is me

Quote by jetfuel495
I've given so much money out to people who ask for it in the city. I'm a bottomless pit of empathy, and a bit of an idiot.

One time I didn't have any money and a homeless man was asking me to buy him food, so I gave him like six granola bars and other assorted snack packs out of my backpack.
cat
I'd ask him to do something to earn the money, like do a little dance or punch himself in the face or something. So he's not begging and he retains his dignity.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Most likely

Unless he seemed like he was really lying or something.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'd ask him to do something to earn the money, like do a little dance or punch himself in the face or something. So he's not begging and he retains his dignity.

The dignity would literally be radiating from him.
I'd probably give him like 10$, even if I had like 100$ on me. The chance of being duped is a big factor for me.

"Hi, my name is Martin. I'm from Mars, as you can clearly see. My wife and kids stay on Mars and I commute here to work, but I just got a spacetext saying that they got in a crash. *wells up with tears* Is there any... *breaks up*... any way that you can help me out?

The spacebus ticket costs $10,000,000.

"
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
If I had $35 on me, I wouldn't give it to him. If I had a Job and had a decent amount, i would gladly give it to him. I like helping out people. Except homeless people on the corner, they are pathetic and need to learn the world can't feed them.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If I had $35 on me, I wouldn't give it to him. If I had a Job and had a decent amount, i would gladly give it to him. I like helping out people. Except homeless people on the corner, they are pathetic and need to learn the world can't feed them.

Countries like America, Australia and most of the rest of the western world produce tons and tons more food than they could ever eat and it all goes to waste. The world can definitely feed them.

I really hope you're trolling.
I wouldn't believe the guy. I've heard too many similar stories, and I really don't care to hear any more. As cynical as it sounds, I almost lose a bit of respect for those that lie about why they need money, and I'm more likely to give it to someone who doesn't appear to be lying. I know that there is no way that I can know for sure whether or not the guy is lying, but that's just how I feel.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'd ask him to do something to earn the money, like suck my dick or something. So he's not begging and he retains his dignity.

OT: I'd give him a few bucks, maybe a five. $35 is a lot to part with when I don't even know if it's legit. I mean, it seems kinda shady.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Yeah, those ****ing homeless people, why can't they just get jobs?!

Oh right, it's because a great deal of them are mentally ill. Oh, and also they can't land jobs because it's damn near impossible to get a job when you have no ID, no references, and no address. Fuckin' bums!
PM me for newts
Quote by guitarsftw
I wouldn't believe the guy. I've heard too many similar stories, and I really don't care to hear any more. As cynical as it sounds, I almost lose a bit of respect for those that lie about why they need money, and I'm more likely to give it to someone who doesn't appear to be lying. I know that there is no way that I can know for sure whether or not the guy is lying, but that's just how I feel.

What if he told the story in the OP and was telling the truth to 10 people like you and got refused every time and then he thought '**** it, better try a different story,' came across you and told you he was a raging alcoholic and he was dying for a drink and he needed $35 for a bottle of gin. Would you give him the money?
Quote by Butt Rayge
Countries like America, Australia and most of the rest of the western world produce tons and tons more food than they could ever eat and it all goes to waste. The world can definitely feed them.

I really hope you're trolling.

The homeless people who stand in front of Walmart all day long every single day of the week hoping people feel sorry for them and give them their hard earned money? I'm not tripping. I'm not talking about leftover food in a bakery that the guy working the close shift guy is ordered to throw out, but insteads feeds the homeless.
Quote by Butt Rayge
What if he told the story in the OP and was telling the truth to 10 people like you and got refused every time and then he thought '**** it, better try a different story,' came across you and told you he was a raging alcoholic and he was dying for a drink and he needed $35 for a bottle of gin. Would you give him the money?

No, I'm not saying I'd support addiction either. There are many reasons why I wouldn't give money to someone. Lying is one. Supporting addiction is another. I'm more likely to buy food for a homeless person than actually give money. Every time I've done so, they've been appreciative.
Quote by AA00P
You don't know they're lying, though. ^
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
The homeless people who stand in front of Walmart all day long every single day of the week hoping people feel sorry for them and give them their hard earned money? ]I'm not tripping. I'm not talking about leftover food in a bakery that the guy working the close shift guy is ordered to throw out, but insteads feeds the homeless.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Rephrase this. Use your brain this time.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by Omniscient G
35$ bus ticket? Holy shit, it's a dollar here.

Take the bus 30 miles out of town and see how it costs yourself.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Depends every situation is different. This is something i would have to be in. If it was real of course i'd give him the money but otherwise there are to many variables to say. I'd prob give him 10-15 bucks to help him out anyways though

also reminds me of a time where i was working for a church supper and they turned down a homeless dude who was starving for food. I ended up giving him some spaghetti taken from the church and 20$. People say to many things they will never do IMO...
I am very suprised at the exact 50/50 results (when I voted). Yeah, frequent Portland a lot, and Oregon is apparently famous for its homeless population. My (and a couple other friends rules are) if they are giving a service that's helpful (say, directions, and they're not pestering you about it), or busking, then money is okay. Sob stories, just asking for money, no.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
A guy came up to me and my mate in town the other day, he only had one leg, as in the other was made of metal, he gave us a sob story about how he broke it and has to hold it together with fishing wire, after about 5 minutes he asks us for some money for a bag of chips so we give him it. Me and my mate head off the shop and on the way back we see him asking some others for a bag of chips, my first thought was, "man, that guy loves his chips."
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by bradulator
Two of my friends and I were put in this situation today. We all pitched in and managed to get him the money that he said he needed for bus fare. I would without hesitation say that it was worth the risk.

Good for you. I agree completely -- I mean, it's just $35 dollars and the pros far outweigh the cons.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I don't, and I'm not claiming that I can know 100% of the time. But if I heard the story in the OP, then I probably wouldn't believe the guy. It sucks sometimes, but I'm pretty cynical about these types of situations.
Quote by AA00P
I give them the money because I just usually assume that the person is likely a criminal and will drop the facade and attack me if i don't make with the cash.
Quote by Butt Rayge

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Rephrase this. Use your brain this time.

Explain why you need to keep up this tough guy know it all persona on the internet and explain your thoughts. If you actually want to know someone else's opinion, rather than prove a point and win an argument that matters to no one but you.
Quote by StewieSwan
a great deal of them are mentally ill

So I'm slowing the evolutionary process by feeding the homeless
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Explain why you need to keep up this tough guy know it all persona on the internet and explain your thoughts. If you actually want to know someone else's opinion, rather than prove a point and win an argument that matters to no one but you.

Seriously. Re-read your last post and tell me it makes sense. It's full of fragments and grammatical inconsistencies.
Definitely not, I mean I'll sometimes give away the change I'm carrying, no problems, but 35$ is too much for me to just give to a stranger I know nothing about
Quote by Butt Rayge
Seriously. Re-read your last post and tell me it makes sense. It's full of fragments and grammatical inconsistencies.

I did. I'm on my phone. The people who stand out in front of Walmart ever day of their life do not deserve anybodys money or leftover food. They need to live their life for themselves, not depend on random people feeling sorry for them. These people. They are pathetic.

You brought up Americas extra food we don't eat for some reason. So I brought up the difference between people on the streets who get fed by bakerys and leftover food, and zombies standing in front of Walmart.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I did. I'm on my phone. The people who stand out in front of Walmart ever day of their life do not deserve anybodys money or leftover food. They need to live their life for themselves, not depend on random people feeling sorry for them. These people. They are pathetic.

So it's better to just waste a ton of food every day than it is to stop one of these pathetic low-lives from starving?

You are pathetic.
Quote by Butt Rayge
So it's better to just waste a ton of food every day than it is to stop one of these pathetic low-lives from starving?

You are pathetic.

They are starving because they are pathetic. I have excess because I'm not.
Page 1 of 2