Looking at starting to play bass and I am wondering if anyone has some good beginner setups that they could recommend. I live in Australia so prices can be a little steep here and I don't have a massive range to select from. I have a budget of around.

I am not looking for real cheap stuff (from past experience with drum kits and guitars, cheap gear is not worth all the problems) but I don't want to spend a fortune. Probably around a $800 AU limit, however I can go over a bit if it will be well worth it.

I play all styles of music so I would like something versatile and don't have much idea of what pickup combos, wood, etc I am looking for.

So far I've been looking at either an Ibanez SR400QM or an Ibanez SRA500 with a Vox Pathfinder 10B for a total of about $750.

Is this a good setup, or is there anything else you would recommend?

All feedback welcome
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
That's quite a huge budget for a beginner!

You can't go wrong with Ibanez but you should look at some high-end Squiers too.

As for amps, every beginner should get a Kustom KBA10.
Quote by Spaz91
That's quite a huge budget for a beginner!

You can't go wrong with Ibanez but you should look at some high-end Squiers too.

As for amps, every beginner should get a Kustom KBA10.

I'll see if I can check out some Kustom KBA10's locally, thanks for the tip.

As for the high budget, my first guitar + amp was $300 and it was horrible, upgraded slightly and still hated it, now spent $800 on a nice Epiphone LP and love it, also the reason a DW Collector's series was my first drum kit.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.