What are some good examples in the pent scale shapes where tension notes would be. I wanna get into tension and release. I just dont knwo where these notes are.

I know that you can resolve going back to the root. But that could get boring resolving it the same way right?

So where are good places in blues pent shapes where good release and tension notes are. Think bb king,clapton,hendrix

Shape meaning

1 shape

etc
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
That's just it, there isn't an awful lot of scope for tension in the pentatonic scale itself - that's part of the point of removing the half steps.

The notes with the most potential for tension are arguably outside the pentatonic scale, that's why there's so much bending in blues - don't worry about the shapes, you really need to start using your ears and listening for these things. What's going to work as far as tension and resolution goes depends entirely on what you're playing over, so just looking at the shape in isolation isn't going to help you one bit - it's going to change from chord to chord. Listen to your backing, listen to what you're doing and try to hear how they're interacting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by silly6-string
What are some good examples in the pent scale shapes where tension notes would be. I wanna get into tension and release. I just dont knwo where these notes are.

I know that you can resolve going back to the root. But that could get boring resolving it the same way right?

So where are good places in blues pent shapes where good release and tension notes are. Think bb king,clapton,hendrix

Over the I chord in a dominant blues you can use:

Minor Pentatonic

Tensions: b3 (sharp 9), 4 (11)

Minor Blues scale

Tensions: b3 (sharp 9), 4, b5

Major pentatonic

Tensions: 9, 6

Major blues scale

Tensions: b3 (sharp 9), 9, 6
Last edited by mdc at Dec 19, 2011,